• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and Musical Appreciation

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm really into music. I love listening to a real broad range of styles, however there are some music genres/styles that just seem to gel with me more than others. I find myself listening to a lot of folk and indie style music, along with old rock 'n' roll classics etc. Melancholy music is something I really enjoy listening to although it tends to contrast somewhat with my upbeat self.

Ok so what I'm getting at is how does music selection reflect upon type, does it reflect external characteristics of yourself or does it address the more introverted aspects. Here are a few questions to help guide responses.

What type are you?

What kind (genre preferably) of music do you primarily listen to? Why?

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or visa versa?

How do you think this music reflects upon you as a person?

I'll just add this smilie on the end because it seems fitting. :headphne:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What type are you?

ISFP

All sorts of stuff at times, but pop/rock styles of music most of the time. These days I listen to more 80's/90's pop than anything else, some more recent contemporary Christian music

I value both, sometimes I focus more on one aspect, but unless it's an instrumental, then a song needs both to be complete

I think it's like blood in my veins, it flows through me and I will almost always have a rhythm or a melody or both in my head, often things people say or do will remind me of a lyric, or what somebody said sounds lyrical and I'll repeat what they said and put it to a melody.

I'll just add this smilie on the end because it seems fitting. :headphne:

:nice: Rock on.

MerkW

What type are you
INTp. Or INTJ. I am a bit indecisive.

I listen primarily to classical music (by this, I mean the entire classical movement, not just the brief period throughout the 1700s). I usually enjoy pieces that are highly structured, but I may also occasionally listen to anything as dissonant, sporadic, and bizarre as Schoenberg. I also very much enjoy Klezmer (and most folk music from Eastern Europe/surrounding areas). Why? Overall, because I enjoy structural complexity in the music that I listen to. It may also be influenced to a certain degree by my ethnicity/cultural background.

Most of the music that I listen to involves no singing, so this question is a bit irrelevant. In the rare cases where singing is involved, I enormously value the musical content over the lyrics.

I am not entirely sure. I might bet back to this one latter.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
What type are you
INTP

I enjoy all kinds, but since that is vague I'll boil it down. I listen to some classical (I enjoy both the classical and romantic periods), different types of folk music (mostly Celtic, Indian, and various Middle Eastern), and some contemporary rock/alternative. My favorites of the latter type are usually the more bizarre kind that incorporates folk elements such as Led Zeppelin. Anything interesting, basically, because if the song is too repetitive, I will not enjoy it for long.

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or vise versa?
Definitely musical content over the lyrics. Popular artists who write opaque lyrics are usually in my favorites because they sort of transcend interpretation and let me focus on the music. I also enjoy listening to music in different languages so that I don't have to try and understand the lyrics, I can just enjoy the musical quality of the vocalist.

I honestly don't know. Maybe it makes me seem aesthetically versatile?

MBTI Type
INxJ
What type are you?
INTJ

Jazz, Foreign, Classical, R&B, Rock, Alternative, Goth, and Industrial.

Musical content. Though, intelligent lyrics always get noticed.

It doesn't really.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
What type are you?

INTP

Classical/Opera/New Age/Folk/Almost everything else

I like Bob Dylan lyrics, but I normally go for music. Words will never be as powerful as music.

I don't know. I don't often listen to music for recreation, anymore.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
What type are you?
INFP.

Mostly metal. The brutal sort.
Why? Stimulation! Drums, guitar, bass, vocals, possibly synth at the same time.

It depends on the song. The lyrics usually add an extra dimension to it, though. I love it if I can relate to the lyrics, if there is some depth to be found (*hint*Devin Townsend). I'm not really into the "rape the limbless cadaver" kind of lyrics.

I don't think it does.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What type are you?
Eye-Es-Tee-Jay
Lately whatever sounds catchy to me - John Mayer, Angels and Airwaves, Blink 182. I've always been a big fan of real heavy and fast music though.
A little of both but mostly the musical content.
I'd say for my heavier (but most often melodic) punk/hardcore/metal music tastes, the music reflects upon me as a person in that most of the bands are very serious in confronting issues in personal life, society, politics etc. and there's really no filter or limit on how blunt and honest they are. It's not watered down for the radio, it's not put out to make money. It's people, it's life, it's issues, it's honesty.

One of my favorite bands - Go It Alone and probably my favorite song of theirs' (you can listen at the link):

Nothing Gold

What's the point in holding on to fading memories when they just rot away with time and sour with the years? Time crushes us and nothing gold can stay, whether it's the things we lose or the things we give away.

I miss those times. I wish that I would relive those days, but like sand through our fingers they just slip away. The past can be a poison kiss when the mind is free to reminisce.
They say "time's tide will smother you" so hold your breath. We can't go back to where we lost ourselves, to where our memories are trapped like insects in amber, prisoners of the past. I miss those times. I wish that I could relive those days, but like sand through our fingers they just slip away.

I've got to remember not to hold on, just let go, because nothing stays the same. I've got to remind myself: "don't look back" because nothing stays the same. Time marches on with or without us so say goodbye to how things used to be.
Those memories are like a sad song I haven't heard in awhile, so familiar yet so bittersweet. Time marches on. Nothing gold can stay. Time marches on with or without us.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What type are you?

eNFJ. With pralines.

Punk rock/new wave. It's what fueled me through a very impoverished bleak early life down South. This list includes Elvis, motown, and stuff like U2.

Both. I find daft/vapid lyrics ruin things. I can enjoy a song that says something but has a wonky tune better than I can stand a good beat and stupidity.

That I'm angry and disaffected? lol

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah! This is my kind of thread.

What type are you?
ENFP

Classical: mid 1800's on. Favorite composers (in order of preference): Shostakovich:wubbie:, Prokofiev, Mahler, Bruckner, Richard Strauss, Sibelius, Massenet... I'll stop here.

As to why... It's intense. It's cathartic. Any emotion that's ever been felt in the history of man is represented by these composers. One Mahler symphony alone covers the emotional breadth of a lifetime. Aside from catharsis, it also offers this over-reacting ENFP some much needed perspective. I have actually broken out in laughter over my own grievances after listening to, for example, Shostakovich's 8th String Quartet. Everyone suffers, and the shit these composers have been through is so much worse than my bird flying away.

Irish and Hungarian folk are secondary loves.

Uh, music of course... otherwise I'd be reading poetry. I'm am notoriously bad with lyrics. I can sing entire symphonies, but memorizing the lyrics to a pop song?... forget it.

As a rather moody person who's very reactive, unpredictable, and prone to spells of existential horror, I must say that my top 4 fav. composers write music full of abrupt extreme highs and the darkest of lows in unpredictable places.

Interesting tidbit: my dad (ENTP) shares my musical taste, but my mom (INFJ) is more of a Bach/Beethoven gal. From this extremely small sample size, I'm thinking that Ps are more receptive of the wild and seemingly random structure (but it's not random... just complex;)) of the 20th century composers, whilst a J may be overwhelmed by it and prefer the more structured and subtle expression of classical and early romantic composers (although Beethoven surprises me sometimes by breaking out a sadistic rhythm reminiscent of Shostie... but I digress).

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok so what I'm getting at is how does music selection reflect upon type, does it reflect external characteristics of yourself or does it address the more introverted aspects. Here are a few questions to help guide responses.

What type are you?
INFP

Depends on mood.

Good or neutral mood.
Folk / Neo-Folk / Medieval / Renaissance
New Age (Enya, Clannad, Kitaro etc)
Symphonic Metal or Power Metal
Synth pop / bubblegum pop (the type of stuff you might hear in Anime)

Any mood
Folk and Cultural Metal
Traditional hard rock and metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Queensryche etc.)

Neutral or depressed mood.
Gothic Metal
Darkwave / Electronic
Slow/Sad Country songs

Lyrical content is important to me, but instrumental can be good too if I can feel something in it. If I am not able to relate to the lyrics in some way that does diminish from the appeal of a song even if I like the music.

Even though the musical styles vary a lot in what I listen to, the themes of cultural and historical themed music are a large part of my collection, and the rest are so varied that its hard to say what it might reflect on me. I suppose just looking at it from a distance, they would either see a fantasy and sci-fi geek, a new-age nature type, a gothy type, or an old school metal head, or they might just be confused (I think thats the reaction most people get when they see my music collection). :)

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What type are you?

Mbti tests say INFJ, cog. processes and interaction tests say INFP, I relate to a bit of both...I'll just say INFj

I listen to various genres, and I'll go through phases where I'll listen to one genre more than another.

Classical -- I like a lot of Bach/Mozart choral music, masses, and the like, as well as some operatic music. I also like Prokofiev, Saint-Saens, Liszt, and Stravinsky - to name a few. Piano - Rachmaninoff, Bach, Chopin, and Debussey. Assorted string quartets or concertos - Bruchner, Bruch, Paganini. Other things too.

Then various alt-rock, none of which is really indie. Depends on my mood, I suppose. I might listen to Tori Amos one day, then the next will really want to listen to something like Alice in Chains, then some Pete Yorn, then some Muse, then Iron and Wine.

Some more folkish music, like Dar Williams. Or throw in something more random like Dead Can Dance.

Quite a bit of world music.

Then throw in a bit more of an electronic, lounge music sound.

Seeing as for most songs I am completely oblivious to lyrics, I definitely value the musical content more. However, some songs have such powerful lyrics that I can't help but pick up on them. And for those minority of songs, the lyrics are important to the essence of the song.

Music was important to me growing up, as I played a few instruments and much of my extracurricular time went towards music. As for how it reflects upon me? Well... I like it?:huh::)

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Been listening to an assload of music...so let's do it!

What type are you?

xNTP

I listen to a lot of "alternative rock." Some traits I love in music are: multiple and rapid chord changes within a single song, dissonant chords and sounds, lots of atmosphere and melancholy. I like music that takes multiple listens to pull apart...it's great when you can hear a song a bunch of times and still find something new and interesting. I love a lot of classic rock too, though. I like music that is evocative of other times or places.

I initially pay more attention to musical content, and will gradually give more attention to the lyrics as time goes on. As with the music, I usually like lyrics that are less straightforward so that I can pick them apart over time - I never want my music to get old or dull.

I guess it reflects my love of exploring and understanding things. I like my music on the complicated side so that I'm never running out of sounds or lyrics to discover and explore - I never run out of something to get excited about. The music and lyrics that I enjoy are generally very meandering and wandering. They pack a lot of ideas into one place....they don't tend to come straight to a point, and tend to be more...musing in nature? I'm a lot like that myself.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
What type are you?
INFP

Marketable music. Between laziness and need for repeated exposure I'm pretty boxed in. As long as I can get off on the music I'm fine. I'll listen to anything from Vladimir Vysotsky to Hillary Duff. If you're looking for a style cramping I'm your guy.

Music always comes first, but I'll catch myself identifying with lyrics from time to time.

It gives me another tool to embarass myself.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What type are you?

Lazy bugger... says INTJ on the left and I'm not a liar, nope.

Listen to anything and everything but my favourite music is heavy, multi-layered rock with classical influences (ie Muse).

Music, always music. The lyrics add to the experience but are not vital.

It's just how I express myself, maybe this style says I’m deep, cultured, slightly obsessive and have awesome taste in music :cool:

Still fits :headphne:

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Instead of actually contributing to this thread, I'm merely going to take the moment to shamelessly advertise the last.fm thread on you guys.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What type are you?

INFJ

Good Music......including country

Lyrics then music are noticed, but not one without the other

I think that people are genres
I consider myself like jazzy-folkrock

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Weird. I keep trying to submit, and it tells me I have to lengthen my message to 1 character. ??? Trying again.

What type are you? INTP

My tastes are very eclectic, but I do tend to go in phases. I've been into jazz and big band phases, blues phases, old school country phases, etc. Right now I'm into guitar rock. I don't like metal at all, really, but I do love classic rock that has heavy electric guitar, mixed with a folk element. I have to have some balance to the loudness, whether it's in an acoustic element, complex lyrics, unexpected instruments or chord structures, etc. I'm in a really big 70s rock phase right now. I like the folk/electric mixes of early Led Zeppelin, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, etc. I love a really great guitar solo, that's thoughtfully phrased and adds to the song, rather than just the display of speed and volume. I love a lead singer who can mix the wailing with the softness, as well. And I'm an absolute sucker for vocal harmonies and dual guitar leads.

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or visa versa? Both. It depends on the song. If a song has enough interesting musical elements, I don't really care if the lyrics don't make a lot of sense. Other songs, the lyrics are so brilliant that the music takes a back seat. But if the music sucks, the lyrics probably won't save it.

How do you think this music reflects upon you as a person? I think the music I don't like probably reveals more about me as a person. I can't stand noise, and I can't stand overly produced, sentimental songs, such as the new country music. I can't stand most of the pop stuff on the radio. I think it just says that I like my music to be thoughtful and well put-together. I don't need to prove my street cred by liking all indie stuff, but at the same time, I don't like the mass-produced stuff that's clearly more product than statement.

The only weird thing is, I don't really like classical. I can appreciate it. But I only enjoy listening to certain compositions, and then only when I'm in a certain mood. Maybe it's a side effect of having to take piano lessons when I was young, who knows? I can't actively listen to classical music, though. It's either background white noise, or it's so intricate that it makes my brain race, and I can't listen to it as background. But then I can't multitask, and I don't like that. And I have to turn it off. I don't know what that says about me.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
There have been some great responses, I find it really interesting how music appreciation differs so much between the types.

The most noticeable difference that I can see so far seems to be more to do with the J/P function. J's seem to prefer more stylistically structured music and place a greater emphasis upon the lyrical content of a song, that's probably not unexpected though.

It is interesting that the INFP's (and INTJs) tend to like really heavy metal style songs, perhaps this has something to do with the extreme emotive nature of the music appealing to their introverted feeling?

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
What is your type?

INTP

What genre of music and why?

I like lots of different genres. It depends a lot on what mood I am in. Some things I like include older jazz (I dislike smooth jazz), swing and neo-swing, Celtic, some New Age, J-pop and J-rock, Led Zepplin, opera metal, metal with "beauty and the beast" style vocals, dance/techno. I like music where I feel like some one has put a a bit of their heart and soul in the music.

It is really tied pretty strongly to my emotions. I will actually think of my mood in terms of music some times. For example if I feel very hyper I might label my mood as techno, if I am laid back I might feel Celtic, energetic but not hyper would be swing.

Music or lyrics?

Music. Sometimes I will find lyrics I really like, but primarily it is the music. I often enjoy thing being sung in languages I don't understand.

What does it say about me?

I am complicated. My interests are broad. I don't much care for being like everyone else (because I don't care for pop music or much of what they play on the radio).

Ilah