Thread: Type and Musical Appreciation

My ISFP friend - alt rock/jazz
    My ISTP friend - alt rock
    My INTJ brother - dance/trance
    My INTJ father - classical/country
    My INFP mother - anything goes, thought gravitates to alt pop rock
    Myself INFP - anything goes, exception being heavy doom metal

Post-Humorously Array stalemate's Avatar

I listen to mostly conscious/less mainstream hip hop...

The Roots
    Talib Kweli
    Mos Def
    De La Soul
    Arrested Development

Those kind of artists.

But I also listen to some other things like Liz Phair, Norah Jones, The White Stripes, etc.

I mostly listen to the hip hop, but it has to be something that sends some kind of a message or has ridiculous wordplay (depending on mood). I'll get a new album and just listen to it over and over and over. I rarely shuffle my music unless I'm running. I try to get a feel for a full album and just really absorb it. I love finding things I missed in songs I thought I knew inside out.

L'anima non dimora Array Donna Cecilia's Avatar

My favourite gender is Gothic Metal: Epica, Nightwish (in the times of Tarja Turunen, not now), Within Temptation, Nemesea.

I also love Classical: Dmitri Shostakovich, Wagner, Bach and Beethoven are among my favourite composers.

I love this kind of music because it´s original, timeless, and gives me loads of inspiration.

Also, I listen to music of many genres and parts of the World too (I have many discs from Putumayo World Music)

But I can´t stand latin genders such as "cumbia", "merengue", "reggaeton", among others. Their songs are repetitive and I find the lyrics to be stupid.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

I usually listen to punk and ska, but I really enjoy classical music when drunk. I don't understand why.

I love rock.... classic rock specifically...

also Classical music/Opera.

... Disney movie Osts

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    So I was wondering if this is related to a person's type. When a person is able to choose one particular genre as superior over others, are they more likely to be J? Is the person in the example above just closed-minded, or is my taste just unrefined?
    I doubt it, there are a lot of cultural and environmental reasons why people chose a certain genre of music... I'm sure you can try to find trends but I think if we try hard enough we can find trends in just about anything, it doesn't really mean that any of it holds any water though....

Junior Member Array

I like all kinds of music, mainly rap, rock, alternative. I love listening to the words in songs. Depressing/chipper... most the time i see it as poetry. Even if a song has no lyrics, the instruments can be so amazing all on their own. What I find most odd about my choice of music, is it changes as my moods change. I prefer listening to sad music when i am low... I find it inspirational. Up-beat music when I am happy. Jazz/classic when I am lazy and feel like relaxing. Heavy metal/rock when I feel on edge and ready to punch a pillow. Chopped and screwed when I am feeling well, chopped and screwed! Music is my mood ring.

What type are you?

What kind (genre preferably) of music do you primarily listen to? Why?
    Whatever "alternative" means anymore, that's it. Alternative rock, heavy, dirty and raw blues, underground political hip hop, experimental math rock, various subgenres of industrial music, post metal, folk, 70's era punk, some classical, ambient, trip hop, other electronic music (if I'm in the mood), it goes on. In short, I love nearly every genre (I certainly haven't named them all), I'm just picky about each of them.

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or visa versa?
    I suppose it depends...but if I think of the lyrics as remotely devoid of merit, I disregard the song altogether.

How do you think this music reflects upon you as a person?
    I think it helps me to be more emotionally in tune with people than anything or anyone else, considering it isn't my strong point. It's helped a lot. It's also helped me to let certain things go. I began picking up an electric bass and producing my own music when my only uncle took his own life, pretty severe, but extremely important...his influence has taught me many lessons since. I was never one for being sentimental, but I sure am as close to it as I'll ever be now. I don't know where I'd be without music.
    A mistake isn't a mistake unless you fail to learn from it.

I've been strongly INTP for as long as I've known about Myers Briggs about a decade now.

Scorpio Sun
    Aquarius Ascendant/Rising
    Capricorn Moon
    Sagittarius Mercury
    Scorpio Venus
    Gemini Mars

I don't know where I'm going, or where I'll end up. But I'll keep on walking.

If I only listened to one genre, my overall interest in music as a whole would be pretty limited. It's easier to say what I don't have a preference for and that's Rap.
    If this is the best of possible worlds, what then are the others?
    ― Voltaire, Candide

trapped in zoobilee zoo Array Osprey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If I only listened to one genre, my overall interest in music as a whole would be pretty limited. It's easier to say what I don't have a preference for and that's Rap.
    I don't really like rap or country, overall, although I admit there are exceptions and that my knowledge of them as genres is extremely limited. I don't have an issue with people who like it; it's just not something I relate to. I'm a dorky white kid from a densely populated area who tended to be more into classic rock/film soundtracks growing up. I branched out into contemporary and more esoteric stuff later, but generally the stuff I like the most tends to be the stuff that is "uncool" to like. I'm open to discovering new things I like but I don't have the energy to obsessively dog through the local scene to find something that's non-mainstream, and I feel too old for that, anyway.

Regarding lyrics, I think I place a stronger emphasis on them than most people. The best stuff coming out nowadays is stuff that tends to be at least a little poetic, IMO.

I think the music I like says a lot about me, in that I'm not really sure if I'm old-fashioned or ahead of the curve. I don't and will never choose music based on how it will "appear" to others. I think music should be personal, and it's one of those things I'm not willing to negotiate on to suit the whims of other people. I don't give a damn if people think the stuff I like is overly sentimental or pretentious or dated; they don't have to listen to it. Only I do.

I guess I like artists who aren't afraid to be different or say something passionate or interesting. I don't expect everyone to be up for that, and it's fine.

As an example, I liked the White Stripes in high school, and people disliked it because it was too simple. For me, it was incredibly refreshing, because it seemed raw and real; like it cut through all the bullshit. And there was a lot of bullshit in the air during those years. I can't remember what bands people were supposed to like back then, but Jack White has shown that he has staying power (apparently Meg couldn't deal with the fame).
    Free me from Zoobilee Zoo...