User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

What type are you?

INFJ

What kind (genre preferably) of music do you primarily listen to? Why?

I know what genres I don't like, even after trying to let them sink in. It's difficult to list down what I like but I can say that I primarily listen to Metal, Rock, Jazz and Classical.

When I was younger I was very picky with specific music genres. I couldn't tolerate any music with distortion guitars, screaming vocals or really hard hitting drum rhythms. I couldn't imagine myself listening to hard rock, heavy metal, jazz, new age, experimental or country. It was pop (and classical, through classical piano training) all the way. As I matured, I started listening to Glam Rock. From there, I went on to Progressive, Nu-Metal, Indie, Alternative Rock, Speed Metal and Thrash Metal. I started going into Electronic Dance Music because it was one of many ways for me to compose music without a band. I went through phases of Trance, House, Jungle and Breakbeats. When I met my boyfriend, I started listening to what he listens to, Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore, Industrial, etc. I met my ENFP friend and I was introduced to Blues and Psychedelic Rock. Currently, I've been digging Funk House, Bebop, Cool Jazz, Baroque and Romantic Classical. I'm keeping my mind as open as I can as I've come to realise that it's only beneficial to know what you have all around you than to just be ignorant and narrow minded about the other genres. You'll never know what you'll pick up from the other genres.

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or visa versa?

Musical content. I almost don't pay any attention to the lyrical contents. I automatically muffle the vocals in my mind and focus on everything going on but the vocals. It's strange that, unless I consciously memorise them, I can barely remember lyrics for most of the songs I've heard. I remember the melodic and harmonic lines far more easily than the lyrics. In fact, I recognise most of the songs by musical progressions than by lyrics. There are only a handful of songs which I remember through catchy phrases or words that emphasizes or summarises the song, e.g. "I never promised you a rose garden... there's gotta be a little rain sometimes.." from Rose Garden by Lynn Anderson. Omg, I love that song!

I'm also quite fond of instrumental pieces. If it's progressive instrumental, all the better for my ears and mind.

How do you think this music reflects upon you as a person?

My choice of listening music doesn't quite reflect a lot about who I am. I find that my music composition does a better job at that. I've composed basslines for numerous originals for a few bands of very different genres and through those recordings, I can tell that it does tell a story about who I am as an individual and what I feel during the time when it was written. The messages are vaguely distinct for others, but to my own ears, they are like the pennings of my journal (I don't keep a journal though). My bf and friends tell me that my basslines are uniquely my style, i.e. gentle, cheery and accomodating. The same applies to my own songs that I have composed, save it's on a much broader platform and not just basslines.

My INFP friend loves some of the songs I've composed. I love some of the songs that he had composed too (we were in the same band for 2 years before) but both of our compositions are entirely different in many aspects, e.g. genre, sound, mood and feel, progressions, etc. I can tell how he is like through his songs (I know him quite well in person) so I can somewhat understand how others may see me through my own compositions too.

MBTI
    INTJ

What type are you?
    ENTJ

I listen to a lot of music and I guess a pretty wide variety of genres.
    Hm...

I probably listen to more hardcore than the average person, but I certainly don't listen to as much as I used to.

When listening to music energy is very important for me. I need to feel that the music is being taken seriously by the musicians.

Everything is important.

Until people hear the different music I listen to they usually have a very skewed perspective of who I am. I think they might start to realize that my decisions aren't as closed minded as they originally seemed.

MBTI
    INFJ

What type are you?
    INFJ
    New Wave
    Alternative
    Progressive Prog
    Punk Rock
    Indie
    Power Pop
    Blues, Jazz
    Both. When I listen to classical music, the melody and pitches sways my emotions. Without a voice, it makes me cry, and tells a story as I listen to it.
    When I'm angry I usually block out everything with music. Almost like a phychodellic high. Weird.
    But I can totally relate to bandit. The ENFp friend and everything. My ENFP friend also introduced me to phychodellic music. EVERYTHING.

MBTI
    INTP

Default Your Music Preference, and How it Relates to Type

I've noticed in some of my friends that they only listen to a particular type of music. One friend, for example, plays music in a blues band, and pretty much listens to and plays nothing but the blues. Other kinds of music aren't worth his time, and is quick to denounce more avant garde styles. People who don't listen to the blues, or at least music resembling or derived from the blues, have poor taste in music.

Other friends, and I fall into this category as well, listen to pretty much anything. The stuff in my music collection is about as diverse as it gets, spanning pop, rock, metal, electronica, hip-hop, classical, bluegrass, etc. A lot of the music I find most interesting is difficult to place in just one genre. And perhaps what's most telling, some of my favorite bands have been introduced to me by other people who fall into this category.

So I was wondering if this is related to a person's type. When a person is able to choose one particular genre as superior over others, are they more likely to be J? Is the person in the example above just closed-minded, or is my taste just unrefined?

What kind of music preferences do you have, and what's your type?

MBTI
    ISFJ

I've noticed a trend between Si users. They do tend to stick more to whatever made the biggest impact at one stage in life. It's some weird thing about musical loyalty or the familiar.

INFJs tend to have crappy musical taste too. Lots of indie crapfest.

INTs, specially INTPs, tend to have an appreciation for progressive rock/metal music and classical. Intellectual types of music, some would describe them as.

I don't really identify with musical preference of other people within my type. I don't know what that means.

ESFPs invariably like house music.

etc etc

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I've noticed a trend between Si users. They do tend to stick more to whatever made the biggest impact at one stage in life. It's some weird thing about musical loyalty or the familiar.
    Interesting. But doesn't everyone like/dislike music based on whether they have good/bad memories associated with them? Not just people with strong Si?

INFJs tend to have crappy musical taste too. Lots of indie crapfest.
    Musical tastes of the three INFJs that I'm friends with=
    INFJ 1: Classical music, choral music and 60's/70's folk
    INFJ 2: The Beatles, hippie music, new age, Celtic Woman
    INFJ 3: DRUM AND BASS (also a little bit of industrial, and video game music)
    The only trend I notice is that none of the three enjoy straying from their musical comfort zones.

INTs, specially INTPs, tend to have an appreciation for progressive rock/metal music and classical. Intellectual types of music, some would describe them as.
    True dat. Except for my INTJ friend who pretty much only listens to hillbilly rock and Alice Cooper... lol

ESFPs invariably like house music.
    I have an ESFP friend who pretty much hates all music except for alt country and Neko Case. HATES dance/electronic music of all kinds.

The STJs and ESTPs I know like music that they can rock out to, but that they don't get emotionally involved in.
    The NTPs I know like music that they find "interesting" in some way (and when I say "interesting", I mean "not boring", i.e. music that works their brains as they listen).
    The SFPs I know like music that's really unusual and creative and makes them feel unusual and creative for listening to it, or for knowing what it is at all.
    The F women (and gay men) that I know are often fans of romantic songs (i.e. songs with sweet, romantic lyrics), regardless of genre.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Interesting. But doesn't everyone like/dislike music based on whether they have good/bad memories associated with them? Not just people with strong Si?
    Yes. But I rarely see Si users making new memories.

PS: Your ESFP friend does not hate electronic music. INFJ friend #3 is not an INFJ. Your INTJ friend is a psycho, what else is new?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Not sure how I'd pin this down. I certainly can't by genre. I like sweeping melody, classical themes, and good speed. This could be anything from melodic death metal, to jazz, to funk, orchestra, whatever. Be interested in more responses though.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i like music that takes huge amount of musical intelligence to make, it can be simple rock ballads, progressive rock or about anything as long as its made by a true genius. sometimes the most simple things in music need more musical intelligence to make than some lets play hard chords really fast type of music. mostly i listen to music that combines musical intelligence and skills on playing instruments. one thing that pisses me off so much is that people dont understand that its not about how hard chords you play and how fast you play them, its about how you play them.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I listen to just about anything, unless i find it unbearable. It's a bit of a curse liking such a vast variety of music.
    My default choice is female-fronted and possibly Indie.

INTP friend also likes classical/intellectual, but is just as much of a music fiend as i am.
    ISTJ friend likes indie and eccentric, but doesn't like to stray from them.
    INTJ friend likes variety and doesn't have a musical comfort zone.
    INFP friend is open to music, but sticks to Korean Pop (groups she can attach to and be a fan of for ages)
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance