User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    Ok so what I'm getting at is how does music selection reflect upon type, does it reflect external characteristics of yourself or does it address the more introverted aspects. Here are a few questions to help guide responses.
    What type are you?
    INFP

What kind (genre preferably) of music do you primarily listen to? Why?
    Depends on mood.

Good or neutral mood.
    Folk / Neo-Folk / Medieval / Renaissance
    New Age (Enya, Clannad, Kitaro etc)
    Symphonic Metal or Power Metal
    Synth pop / bubblegum pop (the type of stuff you might hear in Anime)

Any mood
    Folk and Cultural Metal
    Traditional hard rock and metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Queensryche etc.)

Neutral or depressed mood.
    Gothic Metal
    Darkwave / Electronic
    Slow/Sad Country songs

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or visa versa?
    Lyrical content is important to me, but instrumental can be good too if I can feel something in it. If I am not able to relate to the lyrics in some way that does diminish from the appeal of a song even if I like the music.

How do you think this music reflects upon you as a person?
    Even though the musical styles vary a lot in what I listen to, the themes of cultural and historical themed music are a large part of my collection, and the rest are so varied that its hard to say what it might reflect on me. I suppose just looking at it from a distance, they would either see a fantasy and sci-fi geek, a new-age nature type, a gothy type, or an old school metal head, or they might just be confused (I think thats the reaction most people get when they see my music collection).
    Last edited by TenebrousReflection; 07-15-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

What type are you?

Mbti tests say INFJ, cog. processes and interaction tests say INFP, I relate to a bit of both...I'll just say INFj

I listen to various genres, and I'll go through phases where I'll listen to one genre more than another.

Classical -- I like a lot of Bach/Mozart choral music, masses, and the like, as well as some operatic music. I also like Prokofiev, Saint-Saens, Liszt, and Stravinsky - to name a few. Piano - Rachmaninoff, Bach, Chopin, and Debussey. Assorted string quartets or concertos - Bruchner, Bruch, Paganini. Other things too.

Then various alt-rock, none of which is really indie. Depends on my mood, I suppose. I might listen to Tori Amos one day, then the next will really want to listen to something like Alice in Chains, then some Pete Yorn, then some Muse, then Iron and Wine.

Some more folkish music, like Dar Williams. Or throw in something more random like Dead Can Dance.

Quite a bit of world music.

Then throw in a bit more of an electronic, lounge music sound.

Seeing as for most songs I am completely oblivious to lyrics, I definitely value the musical content more. However, some songs have such powerful lyrics that I can't help but pick up on them. And for those minority of songs, the lyrics are important to the essence of the song.

Music was important to me growing up, as I played a few instruments and much of my extracurricular time went towards music. As for how it reflects upon me? Well... I like it?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Been listening to an assload of music...so let's do it!

What type are you?

xNTP

I listen to a lot of "alternative rock." Some traits I love in music are: multiple and rapid chord changes within a single song, dissonant chords and sounds, lots of atmosphere and melancholy. I like music that takes multiple listens to pull apart...it's great when you can hear a song a bunch of times and still find something new and interesting. I love a lot of classic rock too, though. I like music that is evocative of other times or places.

I initially pay more attention to musical content, and will gradually give more attention to the lyrics as time goes on. As with the music, I usually like lyrics that are less straightforward so that I can pick them apart over time - I never want my music to get old or dull.

I guess it reflects my love of exploring and understanding things. I like my music on the complicated side so that I'm never running out of sounds or lyrics to discover and explore - I never run out of something to get excited about. The music and lyrics that I enjoy are generally very meandering and wandering. They pack a lot of ideas into one place....they don't tend to come straight to a point, and tend to be more...musing in nature? I'm a lot like that myself.

MBTI
    INFP

What type are you?
    INFP

Marketable music. Between laziness and need for repeated exposure I'm pretty boxed in. As long as I can get off on the music I'm fine. I'll listen to anything from Vladimir Vysotsky to Hillary Duff. If you're looking for a style cramping I'm your guy.

Music always comes first, but I'll catch myself identifying with lyrics from time to time.

It gives me another tool to embarass myself.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

What type are you?

Lazy bugger... says INTJ on the left and I'm not a liar, nope.

Listen to anything and everything but my favourite music is heavy, multi-layered rock with classical influences (ie Muse).

Music, always music. The lyrics add to the experience but are not vital.

It's just how I express myself, maybe this style says I’m deep, cultured, slightly obsessive and have awesome taste in music

Still fits

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Instead of actually contributing to this thread, I'm merely going to take the moment to shamelessly advertise the last.fm thread on you guys.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

What type are you?

INFJ

Good Music......including country

Lyrics then music are noticed, but not one without the other

I think that people are genres
    I consider myself like jazzy-folkrock
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INTP

Weird. I keep trying to submit, and it tells me I have to lengthen my message to 1 character. ??? Trying again.

What type are you? INTP

My tastes are very eclectic, but I do tend to go in phases. I've been into jazz and big band phases, blues phases, old school country phases, etc. Right now I'm into guitar rock. I don't like metal at all, really, but I do love classic rock that has heavy electric guitar, mixed with a folk element. I have to have some balance to the loudness, whether it's in an acoustic element, complex lyrics, unexpected instruments or chord structures, etc. I'm in a really big 70s rock phase right now. I like the folk/electric mixes of early Led Zeppelin, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, etc. I love a really great guitar solo, that's thoughtfully phrased and adds to the song, rather than just the display of speed and volume. I love a lead singer who can mix the wailing with the softness, as well. And I'm an absolute sucker for vocal harmonies and dual guitar leads.

Do you value lyrics over the musical content? Or visa versa? Both. It depends on the song. If a song has enough interesting musical elements, I don't really care if the lyrics don't make a lot of sense. Other songs, the lyrics are so brilliant that the music takes a back seat. But if the music sucks, the lyrics probably won't save it.

How do you think this music reflects upon you as a person? I think the music I don't like probably reveals more about me as a person. I can't stand noise, and I can't stand overly produced, sentimental songs, such as the new country music. I can't stand most of the pop stuff on the radio. I think it just says that I like my music to be thoughtful and well put-together. I don't need to prove my street cred by liking all indie stuff, but at the same time, I don't like the mass-produced stuff that's clearly more product than statement.

The only weird thing is, I don't really like classical. I can appreciate it. But I only enjoy listening to certain compositions, and then only when I'm in a certain mood. Maybe it's a side effect of having to take piano lessons when I was young, who knows? I can't actively listen to classical music, though. It's either background white noise, or it's so intricate that it makes my brain race, and I can't listen to it as background. But then I can't multitask, and I don't like that. And I have to turn it off. I don't know what that says about me.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP

There have been some great responses, I find it really interesting how music appreciation differs so much between the types.

The most noticeable difference that I can see so far seems to be more to do with the J/P function. J's seem to prefer more stylistically structured music and place a greater emphasis upon the lyrical content of a song, that's probably not unexpected though.

It is interesting that the INFP's (and INTJs) tend to like really heavy metal style songs, perhaps this has something to do with the extreme emotive nature of the music appealing to their introverted feeling?
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    INTJ

What is your type?

INTP

What genre of music and why?

I like lots of different genres. It depends a lot on what mood I am in. Some things I like include older jazz (I dislike smooth jazz), swing and neo-swing, Celtic, some New Age, J-pop and J-rock, Led Zepplin, opera metal, metal with "beauty and the beast" style vocals, dance/techno. I like music where I feel like some one has put a a bit of their heart and soul in the music.

It is really tied pretty strongly to my emotions. I will actually think of my mood in terms of music some times. For example if I feel very hyper I might label my mood as techno, if I am laid back I might feel Celtic, energetic but not hyper would be swing.

Music or lyrics?

Music. Sometimes I will find lyrics I really like, but primarily it is the music. I often enjoy thing being sung in languages I don't understand.

What does it say about me?

I am complicated. My interests are broad. I don't much care for being like everyone else (because I don't care for pop music or much of what they play on the radio).

Ilah