User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Should I get into World of Warcraft?

I know a lot of you guys are WoW players, and I've heard so much about it. The thing is, INFP is leaving again for at least four months to a depressingly rainy, windy town in the middle of nowhere without much to do and it's going to be in the dead of winter and he might need something to hold him over. I think an online game where we can play together might be fun and, well, you know, be able to give us something to 'do together'. Since we both like fantasy, WoW seems like the obvious choice.

We're aiming to play quite casually, leveling up together, etc. We are not trying to be at a very high level. He's set on his character as a goblin shaman already, so I guess I'm going to play a blood elf so we can team up.

How possible is it to 'beat dungeons' with just two players? We don't want to join guilds and socialize with other people (unless perhaps they are very casual players too). We just want to do our own little PvE thing. Also, I've played Runescape before a long, long, long time ago and I found that I enjoyed making things more than killing things. I might be more comfortable playing a healing class of some sort.

So, dear WoW players, any thoughts or suggestions? Is WoW the best choice for something like this?

Thank you!
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

You don't have to join a guild. You'll just get spammed with guild invites which you can immediately decline. They have pretty good tools set up now for random dungeon/raid groups. If you want to do very little waiting for groups, one of you could tank and the other heal. Tanking is stressful. Healing can be stressful in dungeons, but not too bad in raids because there are multiple healers in those.

It can be fun. I haven't been playing much lately because there is almost always a kid on my desktop and I don't like playing on my laptop.

Edit: And you can level fine just by doing quests or even crafting. You don't have to dungeons and raids.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I know a lot of you guys are WoW players, and I've heard so much about it. The thing is, INFP is leaving again for at least four months to a depressingly rainy, windy town in the middle of nowhere without much to do and it's going to be in the dead of winter and he might need something to hold him over. I think an online game where we can play together might be fun and, well, you know, be able to give us something to 'do together'. Since we both like fantasy, WoW seems like the obvious choice.

We're aiming to play quite casually, leveling up together, etc. We are not trying to be at a very high level. He's set on his character as a goblin shaman already, so I guess I'm going to play a blood elf so we can team up.

How possible is it to 'beat dungeons' with just two players? We don't want to join guilds and socialize with other people (unless perhaps they are very casual players too). We just want to do our own little PvE thing. Also, I've played Runescape before a long, long, long time ago and I found that I enjoyed making things more than killing things. I might be more comfortable playing a healing class of some sort.

So, dear WoW players, any thoughts or suggestions? Is WoW the best choice for something like this?

Thank you!
    Seems like a pretty good idea. I haven't played WoW in a while, but it seems like it would be a fun way to do something together if you're available during the same time blocks.

Two-man teams are fun for PvE. I think it works best if one of you is a healer and the other is a damage-dealer (DPS). Makes for lots of quick killing and fast, fun progression.

As for dungeons: The average Level 25 dungeon (for example) is designed for a 5-man team of Level 23-25 players. But a team of two Level 30-32 players could probably beat a Level 25 dungeon as well. The drawback, however, would be that the loot in that dungeon is only Level 25 loot, i.e., not as valuable to the two Level 30-32 players.

The other alternative is to use the Dungeon Finder to find three other random players to make up a five-man team for a dungeon run. Then you can go into the dungeon at the correct level with a full team. Once you finish the dungeon, the team disbands and everyone goes their separate ways.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Pretty much what people have said. Two-player dungeon raids aren't really plausible, and if you can beat the dungeon the rewards aren't that useful; two player groups are best for PvE.

I don't know what WoW does now; Rift has auto-raids, so if you walk into a zone where there's a boss monster rampaging, you'll automatically get grouped. It's pretty cool how it manages all that. So it's possible to solo a lot and yet walk into zone events without a party and be part of the raid and then leave when it's over. Dungeon crawls, though, you have to actually PUG.

You could always PUG and drop group when you're bored. Many people are in the same boat as you are.

I also liked exploring. I would try to get to places no one else could / find gaps in the system to slip through. I forget where the one place is, but there's a dwarf outpost in the snow sector in one region, that you can find an opening to reach. There was also a beautiful cliff in another dwarf zone, where you could slip between two hills and go up. They have things like that in Rift too, and you can also find artifacts up in those isolated places to collect and make sets out of. I haven't played WoW for a few years, so I don't know if they have added stuff like that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

If you want to play it for the fun of leveling, get into it. You're going to enjoy it. The mechanics are very easy to learn, it's a lot better than it was years ago. I used to play it for years, but I think I got enough for now.
    Don't get me wrong, it is my favorite game, but I don't enjoy it that much anymore. I will return when the new addon is out, which will presumably be released in April or May. Hope that Beta starts soon.
    I have done a survey on the WoW-forum months ago about players' type. The population is very INxx dominated like here.

How possible is it to 'beat dungeons' with just two players?
    I think it's possible but it would take very long. Better use the Dungeon Finder tool. You'll get a random group with 5 people (including your mate of course) and you don't have to socialize, just running through it and bashing monsters.
    I recommend you to do quests rather than that. The story is great and rich and it's funny too.

Trailer for the new addon
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

RDF

Just wanted to add: A two-man DPS-and-dedicated-Healer team is formidable in PvP play on the battlegrounds as well, assuming that the rest of the PvP players are mostly PUG (IOW, assuming that the other side isn't an entire guild working in concert).

figsfiggyfigs

Yes. It's always yes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

@cafe @FLD @Jennifer @Stephano @YWIR

Thanks everybody! Now I have hope!

I asked INFP and he seems fine with joining with three other random players to do dungeons, so it's all set!

I've learned that there's a free trial package that allows you to level up to level 20 -- so we might start with that and see how we like it
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Don't underestimate Hogger.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Don't underestimate Hogger.
    Ok, thanks for the warning