123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INXp

Default Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Just watched this movie. Didn't expect much.

It was AMAZING. I felt emotionally invested beginning to end. I usually don't get into movies like this, but this movie was INCREDIBLY intense and well done. HOLY. SHIT.

Wanna MBTI the characters?

Katniss - ISTP

That's all I got...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I just watched it tonight too. SO GOOD. Wasn't expecting it to be so good. Way better than it's prequel. Can't wait for Mockingjay.

Katniss - ISTP
    Peeta - FP
    Haymitch - ESTP
    Effie - ESFJ
    Cinna - ENFJ

All I got I haven't read the books (although I intend to), so I don't know enough about Gale, Johanna, or Finnick.
    Last edited by Chanaynay; 11-24-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Wow, I just finished it. I had no clue it was getting close to 3 hours long.... That was the longest I have stayed inside watching a movie without needing a restroom break. I was even there for the ending credits (thought we might get something good for staying... but nope!....)

It was... AWESOME!

I can't wait for the next two sequels. God, I don't even mind if it takes them 4 years between those 2 if it ends up this good.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

meh, was it really that good? maybe you just like the actress more

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My daughter's going to see it later today. I'll have to see what she thinks. I might have to go see it. I'm not reading the books until I've seen all the movies (if at all). YA books are usually too gut-wrenching because they have to have meaning or something.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I saw the first two movies and read all the books prior to seeing any of them. I am not a fan of the first movie, to the degree I did not rewatch the first movie except as preparation for seeing the second one. (I've also seen most of the other YA movies out there, except for Twilight stuff....) I felt like the director did not know how to film action scenes effectively, nor knew how to accentuate real drama. (I think he was the writer for Big and Dave... which are actually very favorite movies of mine, but the tone is very very different than what was needed in Hunger Games. There are some scenes in Hunger Games that are blatant tearjerkers, and I just felt like they were regularly mishandled... or at least not handled in a way that brought them out. Or things that there is no real context provided for in the movie, so that the movie itself sets up resonances; basically if you've read the book, the scenes will mean more but if you haven't read the books, the scenes lose power.

I remember while reading Catching Fire that I thought parts of it were lame, since the second half of the book seems to be a retread of the first to a large degree in terms of plot.

Well, I saw the movie Catching Fire yesterday... and thought it was pretty amazing. I didn't outright cry, but there were a lot of moments that I watered up. The movie actually stands alone without you needing to read the book first, and the new director actually knew how to set up all those resonances. Much of the movie is OUTSIDE the arena, and it was still very engrossing. it dealt with the PTSD of the survivors. There is a valid triangle among Katniss, Gale, and Peeta (they all manage to be "adults" about things while each is still trying to find their own way in life). Sutherland is just menacing without having to overstate anything. The revolt is actually pretty believable; katniss as the "unwilling face" of the revolt is believable; and I like how all the characters have lives of their own (and decisions of sacrifice to make) without katniss, they don't revolve around her. She really is "just the face" of the rebellion, but it's all the other people in the rebellion that really are making it work and happen.

I think Kravitz as Cinna is one of the few parts of the first movie that I really enjoyed, and while Katniss locks everyone out, his sincere, no-bullshit, but compassionate engagement of her makes him one of the only people she's ever left inside her guard, and easily the fastest. The guy melts me. it makes this second movie even more poignant. It's so easy to screw up a character like that, but he struck all the right tones. That scene where she comes out in her bridal gown and what happens when she shows it off really did hit me hard; it was very clear what a decision like that would cost the designer.

And Effie Trinket as well. She's a character that very easily becomes cliche (in her constant Fe twittering), and she can also be as annoying and shallow as shit. But she has more texture than that, and you can see it especially in this second movie. She doesn't have the vocabulary to speak deeply and directly, but I think Elizabeth Banks really captures her well -- it's very clear, despite her preoccupation with the superficial, how much she loves Peeta and Katniss in her own odd, affected way and what role she plays in their success.

There's also a lot of great work by the less-showcased supporting actor staff... even Amanda Plummer shows up briefly.

I was really happy with this adaptation. it seems to strike all the right notes and actually evoked the emotions it was reaching for. I'm glad the director signed on for the last two movies.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

3rd book is going to be split into 2 movies?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

they should wake me up when all of the movies are out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INXp

Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely amazing. And stunning. But her acting....awwww goodness. I hear she is currently considered the most sought out actor in Hollywood, and after watching this film, I fully understand why.
    @Jennifer, how good is Lenny Kravitz in this film? 'He hit all the right tones' is EXACTLY how I would describe him. And that dress scene was EXTREMELY intense.

After watching the first movie, I didn't really know much about Hunger Games, but I thought that they were sort of action/adventure books (and, eventually, films) for young adult women with very shallow depths and only a bit of character development. This movie completely changed that view.

I absolutely love how it's main character is a powerful woman. It really sends a good message to young girls everywhere. To me, however, one of the most powerful moments, though just a small detail in the grand scheme of things, is when that little girl tells Katniss "someday, I want to volunteer, just like you." This movie is full of moments like these. A lot of deeper messages like "how the state brainwashes you and keeps you down," power structures, and relationships are all covered.

Ahhhh I can talk about this movie for days. When people tell me a movie is "intense," I go and watch it, and usually don't think it's so intense. This movie, ladies and gents, is INCREDIBLY intense.

MBTI
    IXFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This video provided me with my entire knowledge about The Hunger Games.

It seems to be getting good reviews though, so I might have to see it.