User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Thread: "Noah"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

The Last Temptation of Christ is considered a decent movie to the secular/moderate crowd
    If you weren't going to mention this, I was (btw, I thought this movie was way more than decent, anyway).

I'm hoping this movie will be more of THAT kind of interpretation, realistic and non literal. But how in the God of the Old Testament's name can a movie where you have to put every single pair of land mammals on a fucking boat be realistic???

It can't. So, all things considered, I'm saying this movie is just another CGI special effects, apocalyptic jerk off session, who's main goal is to put asses in the seats on opening weekend. Not controversial enough to keep Christians away, not Biblical enough to keep secularists away. Let's make some mother fucking SHIT-LOADs of money.

All this, on top of the fact it's rated PG-13. It's literally a movie tame enough for teenage viewing.

And who is Darren Aronofsky to say "no" when a studio drives a dumptruck full of money up to his doorstep? Good on him.

All this, and I haven't even seen it, and will probably wait for a DVD rip as the dialogue is sure to be shit (even though I'm sure this caliber of actors will make the best of it) the character development about as deep as a kiddie pool, and the forced emotional connection to these characters as pleasant as a hangnail.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

It started raining when I walked into the movie theater, but hey, I'm still alive.

Such a compelling story. When I read the part about the rain, I was so scared about what would happen next. I really thought you might've died...You know, if you embellished this story, like change the ending, and the middle, it could be really good. Seriously (not kidding at all), I would like it if you were watching the movie Noah, it flooded and you had to leave the theater on a raft, then you die, and then you get on the internet to tell everyone you lived.

But yeah, I get your idea about sloppy unrelated connections.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Nephilim are not rebellious angels anyway. They are a cross between humans and gods, thus creating a race of heroes known as "nephilim."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkSide View Post
    Such a compelling story. When I read the part about the rain, I was so scared about what would happen next. I really thought you might've died...You know, if you embellished this story, like change the ending, and the middle, it could be really good. Seriously (not kidding at all), I would like it if you were watching the movie Noah, it flooded and you had to leave the theater on a raft, then you die, and then you get on the internet to tell everyone you lived.
    That would have made for an interesting Saturday.

Well, I did lose my cell phone connection, and they let people into the theater while the credits were rolling so I thought I'd barely escape with my life.

But I am here to tell the tale.
    So God must have placed a rainbow in my sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Nephilim are not rebellious angels anyway. They are a cross between humans and gods, thus creating a race of heroes known as "nephilim."
    Yes, I know that. Some people have called the angels nephilim, some have thought it referred to their offspring -- but they're typically also referred to as giants. And the Book of Enoch refers to the angels as The Watchers who brought forbidden knowledge to men. So Aranofsky was mixing a few different sources and creating the story he wanted to tell.

Anything else you'd care to sound smarter than everyone else about, while contributing virtually nothing to the discussion of the movie?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

That would have made for an interesting Saturday.

Well, I did lose my cell phone connection, and they let people into the theater while the credits were rolling so I thought I'd barely escape with my life.

But I am here to tell the tale.
    So God must have placed a rainbow in my sky.

Yes, I know that. Some people have called the angels nephilim, some have thought it referred to their offspring. And the Book of Enoch refers to the angels as The Watchers. So Aranofsky was mixing a few different sources and creating the story he wanted to tell.

Anything else you'd care to sound smarter than everyone else about, while contributing virtually nothing to the discussion of the movie?
    GAH! It says right in Genesis what the nephilim are.

Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid View Post
    Neither did Hobbits.

WTF?

The stories in Genesis are...implausible to say the least, but it doesn't mean we can't take anything meaningful out of it.
    Two days ago I was approached in Garema Place, Canberra, Australia, and I was told they had discovered the remains of the Noah's Ark in Turkey.

So some of my neighbours believe that the story of Noah's Ark is literary true.

At the same time I attended a movie called Noah in realist art that neglected to mention that Noah's Ark is apocryphal and not literally true.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Too ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So some of my neighbours believe that the story of Noah's Ark is literary true.
    Ummm.... it IS literary true. I read about it in a book. Where did you hear about it?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Too ironic.

Ummm.... it IS literary true. I read about it in a book. Where did you hear about it?
    Lol.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Saw it tonight - I was looking to be emotionally engaged. Flat. Very flat.

Beautiful visuals, nice ark, interesting take on the nephilim/watchers, cool creation sequence. Russell Crowe ok, other supporting actors had little dimensionality and not much to do really. Animals slept so not much interesting about them either. A little early to tell, but this seems poised to be my least favorite Darren Aronofsky film.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, the only thing that really interested me overall was the examinination of Noah's prophetic role and how that affected his sense of mercy vs judgment. It was well done, but not something I need to rewatch.

I find most of Aronofsky's other work more compelling (The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, etc.) I should really rewatch Pi soon, it's been years and I forget much of it.