• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WALL-E

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I saw this the other day, and although I really enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so, once they got on the spaceship, I was a little turned off. It's not that I don't agree with its message, but for Disney of all companies to try and bring up issues such as consumerism and corporate megastores struck me as extremely hypocritical. I left with a bad taste in my mouth, as well the urge to buy lots of Wall-E toys.

The love story was cute though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That is an excellent point. Seems a bit self-serving, though I guess we oughtn't be surprised when Disney serves itself.

My kids loved WALL-E. I haven't seen it yet. Maybe we'll go this weekend, they've been asking to see it again. My 3yo likes to put the Viewmaster on top of his head and call it his WALL-E hat.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I saw this the other day, and although I really enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so, once they got on the spaceship, I was a little turned off. It's not that I don't agree with its message, but for Disney of all companies to try and bring up issues such as consumerism and corporate megastores struck me as extremely hypocritical. I left with a bad taste in my mouth, as well the urge to buy lots of Wall-E toys.

The love story was cute though.
I'm very much against the Green Crusade of today, and quick to frustrate at its propaganda, but Wall-E really just struck me as old school soft sci-fi. Future doom and gloom of all kinds has been there for decades.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm very much against the Green Crusade of today, and quick to frustrate at its propaganda, but Wall-E really just struck me as old school soft sci-fi. Future doom and gloom of all kinds has been there for decades.
Same here. The end of the world is always nigh. It was not too long ago that a passing comet or eclipse was interpreted to be a sign of a coming apocolypse, and only forty years ago the fear was a coming nuclear war or ice age. The modern apocolypse story is different; we're no longer angering the Gods, blowing the planet to pieces, or facing a devestating ice age; we are instead roasting the planet and stripping it of all that is green and good. The sci-fi writers have taken advantage of all these fears and will continue to do so. In another thirty years I expect (and hope) that few would see any agenda in Wall-E, no more than they reflect seriously upon the stories set in post-apocolyptic wastelands from thirty years before. The trend will pass and people will forget.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
That is an excellent point. Seems a bit self-serving, though I guess we oughtn't be surprised when Disney serves itself.

True. I really hate feeling manipulated though. Another thing I hated was that everyone on the spaceship thingy was fat. I don't like when fat and lazy are considered identical to one another.

Anyway, if you see it, post your thoughts. I would like to hear them.

My 3yo likes to put the Viewmaster on top of his head and call it his WALL-E hat.

Aww. That's adorable.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dennis Muren, I understand, did some special effects during the live-action sequences, so I'm guessing that those sequences were milestones in technological innovation.

But I haven't seen the movie. The only Pixar movies I like are Toy Story 1 & 2 and The Incredibles. And The Incredibles would have been infinitely better as a live-action movie.

To be honest, if Wall-E was 100 percent live-action (with special effects, of course), that would boost my chances of seeing it in the theater.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Dennis Muren, I understand, did some special effects during the live-action sequences, so I'm guessing that those sequences were milestones in technological innovation.

But I haven't seen the movie. The only Pixar movies I like are Toy Story 1 & 2 and The Incredibles. And The Incredibles would have been infinitely better as a live-action movie.

To be honest, if Wall-E was 100 percent live-action (with special effects, of course), that would boost my chances of seeing it in the theater.

It's better than live-action. I've heard it called "R2-D2, the movie" and that's not far off. Ben Burtt was the sound designer for Star Wars and Wall-E, so provided the "voice" for both.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I Loved Wall-E!!!!! He reminded me so much of my dog..and I usually am not too big on younger kid movies, but this one was great!