12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Default Ender's Game Movie

Just saw the movie tonight. I am not by any means a reliable movie critic, but I do love the book.

I thought the movie was pretty good. It has the necessary downside of a book turned into a movie: not enough time. They hit the high points and condensed a pretty elaborate story into two hours. It felt kind of like watching a highlight reel of the book. A good highlight reel, but only that.

I thought the acting was pretty good. I loved how they casted Anderson and thought the actor did a very effective job. I wasn't thrilled with the casting of some of the supporting characters. I did like the diversity, though. Harrison Ford was, as always, Harrison Ford. Ender was fairly believable.

I liked the special effects and would have paid at least double to have seen it in 3D because that would have been mind blowing. I think, if one's conscience and budget allow, the special effects make seeing it in the theater worthwhile.

It has been awhile since I read the book, but I didn't feel like they really messed anything up. They just had to leave a lot of stuff out.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

You could read my nutshell thoughts here.

And in a strange twist of events for the modern day blockbuster, the movie is only available in IMAX, not 3D.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I heard a scene with Harrison Ford on the radio this morning, and it sounds like he's channeling Edward James Olmos in Battlestar Galactica. Or maybe he sounds like that too, these days.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I hear a scene with Harrison Ford on the radio this morning, and it sounds like he's channeling Edward James Olmos in Battlestar Galactica. Or maybe he sounds like that too, these days.
    I dunno cuz I haven't watched Battlestar Galactica hardly at all. He seemed about the same as he was on Air Force One to me. Though granted, I have slept a few times since then.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think he really wants to return to play Han Solo in Star Wars Episode VII, and Ender's Game is his resume.

Ginkgo

I think it's bad form to portray a character as brilliant just by making the surrounding characters seem dull. I didn't detect it when I read the novels as a kid, but when I read Speaker for the Dead, it became evident that Card could no longer riff off the "super intelligent prodigy" angle when illustrating Ender as an adult. I suppose this also indicates that Card's main focus was never completely on the "prodigy" angle, but more on the "savior" angle and "children are the future" angle.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I enjoyed the book and I want to see the movie even though I don't expect it to be quite as good as the book. I'm curious to see how the movie adaptation compares to the book.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Does the movie keep the naked shower fight I've heard so much about? What's the deal with that, anyway?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Does the movie keep the naked shower fight I've heard so much about? What's the deal with that, anyway?
    Yeah. I thought it was handled well. The nudity wasn't gratuitous and showed vulnerability rather than anything squicky. It was probably not as brutal as the book, but it was pretty brutal.
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I think it's bad form to portray a character as brilliant just by making the surrounding characters seem dull. I didn't detect it when I read the novels as a kid, but when I read Speaker for the Dead, it became evident that Card could no longer riff off the "super intelligent prodigy" angle when illustrating Ender as an adult. I suppose this also indicates that Card's main focus was never completely on the "prodigy" angle, but more on the "savior" angle and "children are the future" angle.
    That and he was also much younger in the novel...if they got a prepubescent boy to play Ender, then his brilliance might've seemed intimidating -- think Macaulay Culkin in his early career -- but just maybe. I'm not 100% sure that it would've worked because the writers only glanced over it in the movie. Asa Butterfield is a good young actor, but his portrayal of Ender seemed more like an immature teen who thinks he's smart.