• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ender's Game Movie

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Just saw the movie tonight. I am not by any means a reliable movie critic, but I do love the book.

I thought the movie was pretty good. It has the necessary downside of a book turned into a movie: not enough time. They hit the high points and condensed a pretty elaborate story into two hours. It felt kind of like watching a highlight reel of the book. A good highlight reel, but only that.

I thought the acting was pretty good. I loved how they casted Anderson and thought the actor did a very effective job. I wasn't thrilled with the casting of some of the supporting characters. I did like the diversity, though. Harrison Ford was, as always, Harrison Ford. Ender was fairly believable.

I liked the special effects and would have paid at least double to have seen it in 3D because that would have been mind blowing. I think, if one's conscience and budget allow, the special effects make seeing it in the theater worthwhile.

It has been awhile since I read the book, but I didn't feel like they really messed anything up. They just had to leave a lot of stuff out.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You could read my nutshell thoughts here.

And in a strange twist of events for the modern day blockbuster, the movie is only available in IMAX, not 3D.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I heard a scene with Harrison Ford on the radio this morning, and it sounds like he's channeling Edward James Olmos in Battlestar Galactica. Or maybe he sounds like that too, these days.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I hear a scene with Harrison Ford on the radio this morning, and it sounds like he's channeling Edward James Olmos in Battlestar Galactica. Or maybe he sounds like that too, these days.
I dunno cuz I haven't watched Battlestar Galactica hardly at all. He seemed about the same as he was on Air Force One to me. Though granted, I have slept a few times since then.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think he really wants to return to play Han Solo in Star Wars Episode VII, and Ender's Game is his resume.

G

Ginkgo

I think it's bad form to portray a character as brilliant just by making the surrounding characters seem dull. I didn't detect it when I read the novels as a kid, but when I read Speaker for the Dead, it became evident that Card could no longer riff off the "super intelligent prodigy" angle when illustrating Ender as an adult. I suppose this also indicates that Card's main focus was never completely on the "prodigy" angle, but more on the "savior" angle and "children are the future" angle.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I enjoyed the book and I want to see the movie even though I don't expect it to be quite as good as the book. I'm curious to see how the movie adaptation compares to the book.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does the movie keep the naked shower fight I've heard so much about? What's the deal with that, anyway?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Does the movie keep the naked shower fight I've heard so much about? What's the deal with that, anyway?
Yeah. I thought it was handled well. The nudity wasn't gratuitous and showed vulnerability rather than anything squicky. It was probably not as brutal as the book, but it was pretty brutal.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's bad form to portray a character as brilliant just by making the surrounding characters seem dull. I didn't detect it when I read the novels as a kid, but when I read Speaker for the Dead, it became evident that Card could no longer riff off the "super intelligent prodigy" angle when illustrating Ender as an adult. I suppose this also indicates that Card's main focus was never completely on the "prodigy" angle, but more on the "savior" angle and "children are the future" angle.

That and he was also much younger in the novel...if they got a prepubescent boy to play Ender, then his brilliance might've seemed intimidating -- think Macaulay Culkin in his early career -- but just maybe. I'm not 100% sure that it would've worked because the writers only glanced over it in the movie. Asa Butterfield is a good young actor, but his portrayal of Ender seemed more like an immature teen who thinks he's smart.

G

Ginkgo

That and he was also much younger in the novel...if they got a prepubescent boy to play Ender, then his brilliance might've seemed intimidating -- think Macaulay Culkin in his early career -- but just maybe. I'm not 100% sure that it would've worked because the writers only glanced over it in the movie. Asa Butterfield is a good young actor, but his portrayal of Ender seemed more like an immature teen who thinks he's smart.

I haven't seen Ender's Game yet, but Macaulay Culkin is scary no matter what the context. ;)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Having just gotten back from viewing the movie (I wish I'd seen the Imax version instead), I pulled a random positive review off of rottentomatoes -
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...d_from_orson_scott_card_s_novel_reviewed.html

The reviewer (the distinguished yet randomly-named Dana Stevens) starts out her review by pointing to Card's politics -

"I knew of Card primarily as an anti-gay-marriage crusader and vocal right-wing crank..." and a "prominent homophobe."

Ok, so she's a democrat Obama voter who believes people should be taxed for something they don't need or want.

Those first few lines are important, however, because in the end she ties those in with an obligatory slap in Card's direction.

"...this effects-heavy but still slight-seeming movie has a strangely tractlike quality: It seems to be intending some lesson or moral that, as a nonreader of the book, I never quite got."

I kind of agree with that. It is "slight-seeming" in that most of the plot-points from the book were sacrificed for time. For example, when the mean sergeant finally salutes Ender, it lacks the development the scene should have been given. So it kind of falls flat, but I forgive it, because after all its a book-to-movie adaptation.

But the fact that she doesn't get it - why does that surprise me? She must be the kind of reviewer who thinks the hovercrafts in the Matrix movies were flying underwater. In other words, she should stick to reviewing movies such as "Home Alone 2," and leave the adult-level movie reviewing to the adults.

"Ender’s Game unfolds in an airless, abstracted world that seems to have little relation to our own."

And??? I mean, seriously, if she truly doesn't "get it," then no wonder she thinks it has little relation to our own world.

"It’s a shame..."

Yes, it's a shame that all you could manage in life was an English degree and a reviewer job at Slate.com.

But if it's such a shame, where did you come up with this preposterous idea?

"...because Ender’s Game’s central premise—that in the future, after a catastrophic planetary invasion by antlike aliens known as Formics, Earth’s leaders will use children to lead the super-high-tech counterattack because of their superior brain plasticity and intuition—is an idea that’s full of possibilities." - Such as, "satire[???] in the film’s portrait of a hyper-militarized culture of heroism," "potential for satire in the film’s portrait of a hyper-militarized culture of heroism" [????????????], or a Matrixy "religious allegory" [??????????????????????????????].

I have a better idea - let's just stick with the original plot and forget your ludicrous allegory suggestions. The fact that you didn't understand the movie is not the movie's failing - it is YOURS.

The reviewer then gives an overview of the plot-line, in which she actually stated that she liked the video-game sequences. But if that's the only reason she didn't rotten-tomato the movie...

"Viola Davis appears as a lower-ranking battle-school officer who tries in vain to convince Ford’s gruff honcho to incorporate the faintest tinge of compassion into their training protocols, but both Ford and the movie treat her as window dressing."

No. Far from being window-dressing, she manages to talk down Harrison Ford a time or two, and this has a major effect on how the movie turns out. So the reviewer was just plain wrong here. That's not opinion, that's a fact.

"The ending aspires to a moral ponderousness that the rest of the movie can’t quite support..."

Can't QUITE support? What kind of weasel-wording is this? Ender PLAINLY shows his moral character throughout the movie, and thus the "moral ponderousness" is made very, very easy to understand - except to certain reviewers.

"Gay activist groups have proposed a boycott of Ender’s Game... I can understand wanting to skip Ender’s Game as a matter of moral principle, but you can also feel free to blow it off just because it’s not that good."

Then why on Earth, or on the Formic home world, did Ender's Game get a ripe tomato next to your review at Rotten Tomatoes?

To add insult to political injury, as a parting shot in her insult-laden review, Dana Stevens claims there is a connection between Card's use of the term "Buggers" to describe the alien invaders, and Card's alleged homophobia.

It sounds to me like Dana Stevens has a dirtier mind than Orson Scott Card. But what do I know? I don't even work for the Slate.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In other words, she should stick to reviewing movies such as "Home Alone 2," and leave the adult-level movie reviewing to the adults.

Don't knock "Home Alone 2""! Instead of being left alone in a house, he was left alone in a whole city! That shit's mind-blowing. Also, there was a Dickensian pigeon lady refugee from Mary Poppins who used hobo magic to teleport to late 20th-century NYC.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't knock "Home Alone 2""! Instead of being left alone in a house, he was left alone in a whole city! That shit's mind-blowing. Also, there was a Dickensian pigeon lady refugee from Mary Poppins who used hobo magic to teleport to late 20th-century NYC.

Home Alone 2 was ok for a children's Christmas movie, and Hollywood chop-shop production. And that's basically all I remember about it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Home Alone 2 was ok for a children's Christmas movie, and Hollywood chop-shop production. And that's basically all I remember about it.

You don't remember the Victorian pigeon-lady in Central Park? One of the most memorable characters in cinematic history?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just saw the movie tonight. I am not by any means a reliable movie critic, but I do love the book.

I thought the movie was pretty good. It has the necessary downside of a book turned into a movie: not enough time. They hit the high points and condensed a pretty elaborate story into two hours. It felt kind of like watching a highlight reel of the book. A good highlight reel, but only that.

I thought the acting was pretty good. I loved how they casted Anderson and thought the actor did a very effective job. I wasn't thrilled with the casting of some of the supporting characters. I did like the diversity, though. Harrison Ford was, as always, Harrison Ford. Ender was fairly believable.

I liked the special effects and would have paid at least double to have seen it in 3D because that would have been mind blowing. I think, if one's conscience and budget allow, the special effects make seeing it in the theater worthwhile.

It has been awhile since I read the book, but I didn't feel like they really messed anything up. They just had to leave a lot of stuff out.

I didn't read the book, so I came in clean without having to deal with failed expectations.

I found it a pretty enjoyable movie and I'd recommend it -- not "great" but still fairly good. [Enjoyed it far more than Hunger Games 1.]

Thought Butterfield did a solid job and Ford was excellent, I found them both believable. Ender seemed very cold intellectually, but he also still had some underlying empathy that made his responses seem believable. I felt like Viola Davis unfortunately didn't get much to do, I thought she was marginalized due to time constraints; I would have liked to see more of her, she was the only voice of humanity on the staff really. The supporting cast was adequate and didn't detract from the plot.

I did get the idea that there was a lot of stuff dropped from the movie in order to come in under two hours, so it was pretty focused on the main throughpoint.

the nude shower scene? Did I miss something? Ender had a towel on (I thought) and the other guy had clothes on... or did I get caught up in the plot so much that I totally missed Ender being nude? (Can't remember now. But I guess the point is I really didn't even notice.)

As those on FaceBook saw, I found the general plot ending pretty heavy, since I had no idea what the plot was. Even after the credits rolled, I just kind of sat there. There was a pall over everything for me.

There was only one moment that didn't work for me -- I didn't really find the whole "Ender quits / Ender comes back" thing to be quite believable, in the middle -- and then there were just a few dumb little things, like the ending seeming to be too abrupt dramatically, or Ender being able to leave the facility without anyone noticing, etc. Not enough to derail anything, but just a minor annoyance.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] There was only one moment that didn't work for me -- I didn't really find the whole "Ender quits / Ender comes back" thing to be quite believable, in the middle.

Very unbelievable. Because in the book version Ender planned on "returning" to battle school only to use the molecular disruptor to get himself kicked out for cheating on the simulation.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I completely forgot that my son (I read the book to him a few years ago, but he doesn't like going to movie theaters because sensory stuff) hasn't seen the movie yet. So we're going to watch it.

If I can get the DVD player to be friends with Amazon. :dry: