• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Halloween! What are some movies you like to watch during this time?

Qre:us

Oh and I liked Sinister as well, and when you have the antagonistic demon looking like Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, it could so easily be hammed up. This movie didn't have that problem.

The bolded, it's like you're speaking a foreign language. I don't understand.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The bolded, it's like you're speaking a foreign language. I don't understand.

It's a Norwegian metal band.

And I guarantee I'm in the minority here, but I also liked Jan De Bont's version of The Haunting. Yeah, it was goofy; Owen Wilson was a typical Owen Wilson archetype, and Catherine Zeta-Jones played a flamboyantly bisexual artist, but it had some really nice atmospheric moments and creepy imagery. And it was largely like walking through a haunted house attraction. And they're fun. [MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION], it would be a perfect addition to all the campy ones you have listed, and House on Haunted Hill, too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also haven't watched The Blair Witch Project in a while.

While I almost always stay for the credits in a movie, I stayed for the credits in TBWP solely to see all the legal disclaimers (i.e. The persons and events are fictional and everything is full of shit, etc., etc.).

And sorry, Paranormal Activity, your lack of end credits at all did not convince me or creep me out in the slightest.

I also haven't watched The Blair Witch Project in a while.

While I almost always stay for the credits in a movie, I stayed for the credits in TBWP solely to see all the legal disclaimers (i.e. The persons and events are fictional and everything is full of shit, etc., etc.).

And sorry, Paranormal Activity, your lack of end credits at all did not convince me or creep me out in the slightest.

LOL, I never put that much stock or thought into end credits, other than sitting through it to recognize everyone for their work. But that the end credits give insight into the whole context of the movie, huh, a new one. Must be more aware of this. Thanks!

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
No love for Chucky?

I don't watch a whole lot of movies, but I usually watch the ones that just come on TV. Scream, Halloween, etc. I also admit to watching the Disney channel series of Halloweentown movies sometimes :p

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I bought two movies today: Let Me In and The Last Exorcism. Neither of which I've seen before.

Watched Let Me In first. I thought it was very slow and not particularly scary, but it was still a better love story than Twilight.

Presently watching The Last Exorcism, it's a found footage movie, and after the first two or so shots, I'm already unconvinced.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, I bought two movies today: Let Me In and The Last Exorcism. Neither of which I've seen before.

Watched Let Me In first. I thought it was very slow and not particularly scary, but it was still a better love story than Twilight.

Presently watching The Last Exorcism, it's a found footage movie, and after the first two or so shots, I'm already unconvinced.

Check out the Swedish film Let The Right One In. Let Me In is the American remake (Didn't bother).

Blair Witch is one of my favorites--I'm actually gonna dig it up now that you brought it up. I actually live 20 minutes away from where the movie takes place. You should have seen the fiasco when it was released. People thought it was real. Visitors practically tore the town apart, converting derelict cabins into Satan worship altars and even stealing the township sign shown in the movie.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The Great Pumpkin is about my speed.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Watched both! Loved both!

I'll need to check out the Descent. I agree with you on Session 9.

Do you have Netflix? Grave Encounters is surprisingly good, as is Cabin in the Woods (though that might be too much of a comedy for Halloween, depending on your taste). Now that I think of it, I thought Rob Zombie's Halloween remake was quite good (though I actually enjoyed House of 1000 Corpses, which many think would indicate that my recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt). I'll check my Netflix account and/or DVD collection for other ideas.....

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since tonight is Devil's Night, how about The Crow?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The Serpent and the Rainbow

Suicide Club (also known as Suicide Circle)

A Tale of Two Sisters

Rose Red

From Netflix:

The Devil's Carnivale (a horror musical).

Don't be Afraid of the Dark (largely for the house).

Werewolf: the Beast Among Us (not really horror, but the theme is right).

I Sell The Dead (again, not really horror).

Bah. Most current Netflix options are either too obvious (like the Hellraiser series), too mediocre, or not truly horror movies....mostly the second option.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've always enjoyed The Shining.

Finally rewatched it a few weeks ago, after years and years of not.
(I watched the Room 237 documentary around the same time as well; it might still be on NetFlix.)

My basic observations:

1. It's not nearly as faithful an adaptation in tone to King's book as the later TV series, which actually makes Jack a sympathetic character.

2. That aside, taken as a standalone, it's a really good movie. And everything is so stark, and controlled; anything in that movie is there because Kubrick wanted it to be, down to the pictures on the wall and the arrangement of the cannisters in the walk-in. Even the hotel layout is designed to disorient; there are one-take scenes where Danny is traveling on his Big Wheel and the layout is wrong and doesn't overlap where it should, and there are scenes where they walk out of the same door they entered a minute earlier and the hallway outside is different. Just crazy stuff.

Bah. Most current Netflix options are either too obvious (like the Hellraiser series), too mediocre, or not truly horror movies....mostly the second option.

I agree.

Oh, there's also "Yellow Brick Road" on netFlix. Great, low-budget movie for the first 80% of the movie (really unsettling with the most basic of scenarios); then it goes to hell IMO. But Marm liked it and felt like the ending had significance.

Also -- I don't remember if "Let Me In" is there, but "Let the Right One In" is on Netflix. The latter is the original adaptation (to Swedish film) of the book, and the former is the American adaptation from a year or two ago. Overall, I prefer the Swedish one, although I think the American version opens better and the scene with the vampire in the hospital bed was better than the corresponding "cat" scene in the Swedish version.

One big issue: The lead kid is actually kind of a psychopath in the book (he's detached from all relationships) and this comes through better in the Swedish version; the American version makes him more normal and emotionally accessible.

Too bad we can't mix and match scenes.

Currently watching, Stephen King's, "It."

Billyy, stop stuttering, you sound like Elmer Fudd.
Actually, Elmer Fudd has a lisp, it's Porky the Pig who stu-tu-tters.

LOL! I never realized how campy it was - watched it last, back when I was a kid.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Currently watching, Stephen King's, "It."

Billyy, stop stuttering, you sound like Elmer Fudd.
Actually, Elmer Fudd has a lisp, it's Porky the Pig who stu-tu-tters.

LOL! I never realized how campy it was - watched it last, back when I was a kid.

I can't even watch that thing. It's one of my favorite King books, and I think Tim Curry is pretty amazing, but I've only ever made it about 30 minutes into it.

With a three-hour runtime, the necessary edits already make it impossible to translate (a lot of the richness of the 1100-page book is lost automatically), and then you get people who don't know how to translate King to screen in a way that actually is scary/meaningful. King's dialogue can be dangerous because it will work on the page but not in the ear, at least when he starts doing weird/crazy stuff.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't even watch that thing. It's one of my favorite King books, and I think Tim Curry is pretty amazing, but I've only ever made it about 30 minutes into it.

With a three-hour runtime, the necessary edits already make it impossible to translate (a lot of the richness of the 1100-page book is lost automatically), and then you get people who don't know how to translate King to screen in a way that actually is scary/meaningful. King's dialogue can be dangerous because it will work on the page but not in the ear, at least when he starts doing weird/crazy stuff.

I love that movie, & the book may be my all-time favorite. Almost all of King's film adaptations are poorly done (but they work out as wonderful comedies). I can appreciate Tim Curry's performance in IT, though.

I think there may be talks about a remake, mini-series..

G

Ginkgo

Alien

Sinister

Insidious

The Thing

IT

E.T. ( [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] )

Dawn of the Dead

28 Days Later