• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Halloween! What are some movies you like to watch during this time?

Qre:us

halloween.jpg

As a fan of horror flicks, I'd love to hear some recommendations for good movies to give me some spine-tingling thrills!

(or even, movies that somehow still fit within Halloween that may not be scary in nature)

Go.........what are some movies you like to watch during this time?

[sorry if this is culturally excluding some TypeC members]

Attachments

• halloween.jpg
    halloween.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 102

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just bought and watched The Conjuring on blu-ray. Would hardly consider it the scariest movie ever made, but it gets better every time I watch it.

The House of the Devil and The Innkeepers

Hmm, checked them out, seems like both are the works of the same director? I'll give The Innkeepers a try. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 79%.

I too watch sleepy hollow!

Hocus Pocus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VffXZ44_LQ The Ghost and Mr. Chicken

Old scary movies--The original Friday the 13th, the Exorcism, Nosferatu :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F73hCPoEn44 A classic!

Arachnophobia as well! That one's on Youtube too..

Oh! and the Interview with a Vampire series!

Ah, Johnny Depp! Also love Sleepy Hollow. I haven't watched all the series in The Interview with the Vampire, but love the original movie! LOVE IT! Can watch it over, and over!!

I just bought and watched The Conjuring on blu-ray. Would hardly consider it the scariest movie ever made, but it gets better every time I watch it.

Watched it. Was pretty okay, not that memorable. I don't think I can watch it again.

One issue I have with horror flicks, that rely on the suspense, is that I can't watch it more than once, as the thrill is devoid the second time, because I know who is lurking around the corner and what he/she/it will do. :(

Spanish and Japanese horror flicks, by far, outrank Hollywood ones.

The Orphanage (2007, I believe) - is a spanish flick that I'd highly recommend.

[REC] another one.

Non-supernatural thriller movies, Snowtown (2011) - based on the real life Australian serial Killer, Bunting. Superb. And FUCKED UP!! Disturbing to the core. The lead was brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Keep them coming, folks!!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I missed watching Session 9 last Halloween; I'll make up for that this year.
And it's been awhile since I watched the uncut version of The Descent.

Went to the dollar theater with my kid two weeks ago or so and I loved watching him flip out. Both he and I agreed that the last 20 minutes (where everything is visualized and tangible and seems to become your typical "possession" movie) wasn't nearly as good for us as the first half of the movie, where it's just a total creepfest and half the time nothing actually happens... it's the potential for something happening that really gets you.

Even after having seen it once, I still got creeped out the second time, and jumped in my seat a few times.

The Thing. Every year.
(Horror isn't my cup of tea)

Gonna guess you mean the version with Kurt Russell...

Hmm, checked them out, seems like both are the works of the same director? I'll give The Innkeepers a try. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 79%.

Saw it. Was kind of disappointed, although some of the banter was pretty neat.

For Ti West flicks, I liked his "The House of the Devil" the most, to be honest. And it really recreated that 70's look and feel, even down to the opening credits.

One issue I have with horror flicks, that rely on the suspense, is that I can't watch it more than once, as the thrill is devoid the second time, because I know who is lurking around the corner and what he/she/it will do. :(

There is nothing quite like that first viewing, is there?

But I still can get creeped out by some pics multiple times. There's nothing like watching an Asian ghost with bloody eyes crawl/slither/jerk down a staircase headfirst, ya know.... ;)

Spanish and Japanese horror flicks, by far, outrank Hollywood ones.

In general, I agree.

Non-supernatural thriller movies, Snowtown (2011) - based on the real life Australian serial Killer, Bunting. Superb. And FUCKED UP!! Disturbing to the core. The lead was brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I watched part of it. I had trouble staying engrossed, but I do think the characters were pretty disturbing.

I missed watching Session 9 last Halloween; I'll make up for that this year.
And it's been awhile since I watched the uncut version of The Descent.

Watched both! Loved both!

Actually, my friends and I watched The Descent while at the cottage, 2 years ago. And earlier this year, I wanted to go blackwater rafting and caving, and my friend ADAMANTLY refused, referencing "The Descent" as a valid excuse for being a wimp! So, I went by myself. Was a blast. Kinda was HOPING for some creatures, but only saw bats and eels, and amazing, beautiful gorgeous, glowworms. That made the cave look like a starry night sky.

http://theplanetd.com/images/glow_worm_cave2.jpg

Opposite of horror, really.

Went to the dollar theater with my kid two weeks ago or so and I loved watching him flip out. Both he and I agreed that the last 20 minutes (where everything is visualized and tangible and seems to become your typical "possession" movie) wasn't nearly as good for us as the first half of the movie, where it's just a total creepfest and half the time nothing actually happens... it's the potential for something happening that really gets you.

Yup, the suspense, the wait.....

For Ti West flicks, I liked his "The House of the Devil" the most, to be honest. And it really recreated that 70's look and feel, even down to the opening credits.

All right, The Innkeeper is out, The House of the Devil is in. To start off with, giving this director a try. If I like it, I'll watch the other.

There's nothing like watching an Asian ghost with bloody eyes crawl/slither/jerk down a staircase headfirst, ya know.... ;)
The Ring was good. Did you (also) watch the original Japanese version?

I had trouble staying engrossed, but I do think the characters were pretty disturbing.

I can see that, it is one of those movies, I find, I have to watch alone, quiet and concentrate. As the build-up is slow. And the pulse of the movie has to be felt pretty early on, to stay hooked.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched both! Loved both!

Actually, my friends and I watched The Descent while at the cottage, 2 years ago.

Ha, nice!

I mean, the thing with the critters is pretty nasty in itself. For me, what really makes it ache is the fair representation of a group of strong females who are presented as women (not just men with long hair), and the whole interpersonal story between Juno and Sarah and Beth, and how the "descent" is not just referring to the depth of the hole they are in but also Sarah's potential descent into madness + into a statement of mind churning around revenge and forgiveness, loss and grief.

And earlier this year, I wanted to go blackwater rafting and caving, and my friend ADAMANTLY refused, referencing "The Descent" as a valid excuse for being a wimp! So, I went by myself. Was a blast. Kinda was HOPING for some creatures, but only saw bats and eels, and amazing, beautiful gorgeous, glowworms. That made the cave look like a starry night sky.

I'd love to go into one of the ginormous sinkhole caves overseas, the famous ones that almost have their own internal biosphere jungle. But I get kind of antsy at the thought of crawling headfirst into a hole barely large enough to hold me. Ugggh.

The Ring was good. Did you watch the original Japanese version?

On my list. I like to compare them.

it was interesting to compare the two versions of The Grudge, especially with them by the same director but the second was the "American" version AKA for American audiences.

For some non-horror, but still pretty damn Halloweeny movies:

- Bettlejuice (hi-larious!)
- Adams Family
- The Nightmare before Christmas
- go to a theatre and watch/experience The Rocky Horror Picture Show

<3

F

figsfiggyfigs

my best friend and I made a list of options to watch this week! Unfortunately, I deleted it by accident(whoopsie!)

28 days later
Hocus Pocus
13th Ghost
Sleepy Hollow
The Hills Have Eyes
Final Destination
Rec
Idle Hand
Caspar
Interview with a Vampire
Dracula
Matilda
Dead-Alive
The Others
Event Horizon
Ghostbusters (thanks for the reminds JC)

my best friend and I made a list of options to watch this week! Unfortunately, I deleted it by accident(whoopsie!)

28 days later
Hocus Pocus
13th Ghost
Sleepy Hollow
The Hills Have Eyes
Final Destination
Rec
Idle Hand
Caspar
Interview with a Vampire
Dracula
Matilda
Dead-Alive
The Others
Event Horizon

Well then, kudos for having an amazing memory. Haven't watched the ones in red.
Thanks for the recs!

93JC

I used to watch Ghostbusters every Halloween. I'm surprised it was not already mentioned by someone else, despite not being a movie that gives you "spine-tingling thrills".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well then, kudos for having an amazing memory. Haven't watched the ones in red.
Thanks for the recs!

I'll throw in a kudos for "28 Days Later." Just the people involved deserve a watch -- it's a Danny Boyle movie, with Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston, and Brendan Gleeson among others -- and the story itself is pretty good.

I prefer Boyle's "Sunshine" to "Event Horizon" (as far as kind of creepy space-claustrophobic movies go), but it seems that people are split on that one.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh and I liked Sinister as well, and when you have the antagonistic demon looking like Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, it could so easily be hammed up. This movie didn't have that problem.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh and I liked Sinister as well, and when you have the antagonistic demon looking like Shagrath from Dimmu Borgir, it could so easily be hammed up. This movie didn't have that problem.

I think it's worth a watch.