5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I need candy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Watched both! Loved both!
    I'll need to check out the Descent. I agree with you on Session 9.

Do you have Netflix? Grave Encounters is surprisingly good, as is Cabin in the Woods (though that might be too much of a comedy for Halloween, depending on your taste). Now that I think of it, I thought Rob Zombie's Halloween remake was quite good (though I actually enjoyed House of 1000 Corpses, which many think would indicate that my recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt). I'll check my Netflix account and/or DVD collection for other ideas.....

"The Omen" and "The Exorcist."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

Since tonight is Devil's Night, how about The Crow?
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

MBTI
    INTP

The Serpent and the Rainbow

Suicide Club (also known as Suicide Circle)

A Tale of Two Sisters

Rose Red

From Netflix:

The Devil's Carnivale (a horror musical).

Don't be Afraid of the Dark (largely for the house).

Werewolf: the Beast Among Us (not really horror, but the theme is right).

I Sell The Dead (again, not really horror).

Bah. Most current Netflix options are either too obvious (like the Hellraiser series), too mediocre, or not truly horror movies....mostly the second option.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I've always enjoyed The Shining.
    Finally rewatched it a few weeks ago, after years and years of not.
    (I watched the Room 237 documentary around the same time as well; it might still be on NetFlix.)

My basic observations:

1. It's not nearly as faithful an adaptation in tone to King's book as the later TV series, which actually makes Jack a sympathetic character.

2. That aside, taken as a standalone, it's a really good movie. And everything is so stark, and controlled; anything in that movie is there because Kubrick wanted it to be, down to the pictures on the wall and the arrangement of the cannisters in the walk-in. Even the hotel layout is designed to disorient; there are one-take scenes where Danny is traveling on his Big Wheel and the layout is wrong and doesn't overlap where it should, and there are scenes where they walk out of the same door they entered a minute earlier and the hallway outside is different. Just crazy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Bah. Most current Netflix options are either too obvious (like the Hellraiser series), too mediocre, or not truly horror movies....mostly the second option.
    I agree.

Oh, there's also "Yellow Brick Road" on netFlix. Great, low-budget movie for the first 80% of the movie (really unsettling with the most basic of scenarios); then it goes to hell IMO. But Marm liked it and felt like the ending had significance.

Also -- I don't remember if "Let Me In" is there, but "Let the Right One In" is on Netflix. The latter is the original adaptation (to Swedish film) of the book, and the former is the American adaptation from a year or two ago. Overall, I prefer the Swedish one, although I think the American version opens better and the scene with the vampire in the hospital bed was better than the corresponding "cat" scene in the Swedish version.

One big issue: The lead kid is actually kind of a psychopath in the book (he's detached from all relationships) and this comes through better in the Swedish version; the American version makes him more normal and emotionally accessible.

Too bad we can't mix and match scenes.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Currently watching, Stephen King's, "It."

Billyy, stop stuttering, you sound like Elmer Fudd.
    Actually, Elmer Fudd has a lisp, it's Porky the Pig who stu-tu-tters.

LOL! I never realized how campy it was - watched it last, back when I was a kid.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Currently watching, Stephen King's, "It."

Billyy, stop stuttering, you sound like Elmer Fudd.
    Actually, Elmer Fudd has a lisp, it's Porky the Pig who stu-tu-tters.

LOL! I never realized how campy it was - watched it last, back when I was a kid.
    I can't even watch that thing. It's one of my favorite King books, and I think Tim Curry is pretty amazing, but I've only ever made it about 30 minutes into it.

With a three-hour runtime, the necessary edits already make it impossible to translate (a lot of the richness of the 1100-page book is lost automatically), and then you get people who don't know how to translate King to screen in a way that actually is scary/meaningful. King's dialogue can be dangerous because it will work on the page but not in the ear, at least when he starts doing weird/crazy stuff.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I can't even watch that thing. It's one of my favorite King books, and I think Tim Curry is pretty amazing, but I've only ever made it about 30 minutes into it.

With a three-hour runtime, the necessary edits already make it impossible to translate (a lot of the richness of the 1100-page book is lost automatically), and then you get people who don't know how to translate King to screen in a way that actually is scary/meaningful. King's dialogue can be dangerous because it will work on the page but not in the ear, at least when he starts doing weird/crazy stuff.
    I love that movie, & the book may be my all-time favorite. Almost all of King's film adaptations are poorly done (but they work out as wonderful comedies). I can appreciate Tim Curry's performance in IT, though.

I think there may be talks about a remake, mini-series..
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Ginkgo

Alien

Sinister

Insidious

The Thing

IT

E.T. ( @Lexicon )

Dawn of the Dead

28 Days Later