• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Horror Story: Coven - Which Witch?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
American Horror Story is the only show I currently watch in its entirety, in fact it's the only *current* show I watch that is not an offensive adult cartoon. I hate tv and usually watch episodes on line. I am skeptical of season three topping season two, but I am already hooked at least.

Instead of deep discussion or spoilers, I was curious which witch is your favorite or who you identify with.

I, probably of course, love the back woods swamp lady Misty Day who resurrects animals and loves Stevie Nicks.

Who do you prefer, the headmistress and chemist Cordelia, selfish and powerful supreme Fiona, sweet and unassuming black widow Zoe, vain and temperamental telekenetic Madison, innocent disabled clairvoyant Nan, sassy human voodoo doll Queenie, or immortal superpower Marie Leveau?

Why can't I post a damn poll.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Misty's a crackup. :)
All that stuff about Stevie Nicks is just right on.

I generally like all the characters, they play interestingly together. Even Madison, who I think is a world class little selfish bitch. (although note that when she has a chance for power, she can't take it... she's not yet entirely corrupt, some of that attitude is still an act with her)

But which do I personally identify with?

Probably a mix of Cordelia and Zoe.

Cordelia: Responsible, tries to keep to herself and not impose, wants to do things "right" without resorting to magic but is left wanting, means well, tries to be helpful, feels bitterness against her mom she tries to control but still seethes underthere somewhere (due to how infringes on her)

Zoe: Sweet, earnest, tries to help, feels bad when others are shortchanged, carries a lot of guilt for her inadvertent mistakes, wonders whether she's capable of anything good at all sometimes, would like to find love but feels now it will always be beyond her and "everything she touches dies" -- yet there is still something intrinsically GOOD about her

However, way deep down, I have a bit of Marie in me... kind of the proud noble spirit that leaves her holding her head up high and unabashed, speaking bluntly and calling everything like it is. Marie's far more ruthless and unconciliatory than I am, but I admire her deeply.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]

Yeah that makes sense. I probably also identified somewhat with Madison's vengeful egoism, but I am no where near as hard or self important. Her lack of sensitivity is appalling, yet it enables her to bounce back from a gang rape that would emotionally destroy some women, and she is able to help Zoe with Kyle because of her unflinching realism.

But Misty Day is my primary favorite that I relate to.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah that makes sense. I probably also identified somewhat with Madison's vengeful egoism, but I am no where near as hard or self important. Her lack of sensitivity is appalling, yet it enables her to bounce back from a gang rape that would emotionally destroy some women, and she is able to help Zoe with Kyle because of her unflinching realism.

Really true -- especially in light of the fact she goes right back into potentially hostile environments without changing her presentation. IOW, regardless of what happened to her, she is who she is, and she seems to take everything in stride and keeps right on going where other women might have been broken and weakened by such things.

It's always interesting when there are characters I don't happen to like in many respects, while at the same time I can see strong or good qualities in them that are worthwhile.

Not sure what that would be in Kathy Bates' character, though. *doh*

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Really true -- especially in light of the fact she goes right back into potentially hostile environments without changing her presentation. IOW, regardless of what happened to her, she is who she is, and she seems to take everything in stride and keeps right on going where other women might have been broken and weakened by such things.

It's always interesting when there are characters I don't happen to like in many respects, while at the same time I can see strong or good qualities in them that are worthwhile.

Not sure what that would be in Kathy Bates' character, though. *doh*

Oh man I know. I have yet to see redeeming value in her, but I wonder what they will do with that character, if she will remain static or actually change and show better qualities.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also dislike TV and watch tv shows only online, but I actually like adult offensive Tv shows (South Park, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama and Regular Show big fan). But to the topic... I really liked the first 2 seasons of AHS, but the 3rd season is a big dissapiontemnt for me. A girl who kills with her vagina?! WTF?! :doh: I mean... she could have any magical ability in the world and she kills with sex... I think the series does not run long enough to already identify with anyone Misty Day is a bit creapy :D she seems like a good person, but out of her mind. I think he character will develope contrastly later. The only character above all AHS seasons I felt really close to was Tate :wubbie: ... oh god he was so perfect! Dark, deep, mysterious, fucked up and all romantic like a little dark hugging bunny
images

F

figsfiggyfigs

You know I've been saving American Horror Stories for after my midterms. But thanks to that cryptic title, I know what it's about! :cry:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really liked the first 2 seasons of AHS, but the 3rd season is a big dissapiontemnt for me. A girl who kills with her vagina?! WTF?! :doh: I mean... she could have any magical ability in the world and she kills with sex...

If you are watching the series, it's noted (and has been shown) that witches aren't necessarily confined to one power. So Zoe has an affinity for vagina mortis. It's probably not the only thing she'll be able to do later inthe series.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also dislike TV and watch tv shows only online, but I actually like adult offensive Tv shows (South Park, Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama and Regular Show big fan). But to the topic... I really liked the first 2 seasons of AHS, but the 3rd season is a big dissapiontemnt for me. A girl who kills with her vagina?! WTF?! :doh: I mean... she could have any magical ability in the world and she kills with sex... I think the series does not run long enough to already identify with anyone Misty Day is a bit creapy :D she seems like a good person, but out of her mind. I think he character will develope contrastly later. The only character above all AHS seasons I felt really close to was Tate :wubbie: ... oh god he was so perfect! Dark, deep, mysterious, fucked up and all romantic like a little dark hugging bunny
images

Why do you think Misty Day is out of her mind? She does not seem any crazier to me than Fiona being desperate for youth yet aging herself with cocaine, or Madison killing a director because he criticized her. Misty seems like an FP (don't know which one yet) from a rural area who has strong Fi ethics about animals and wildlife who also understands natural medicine. And I knew exactly what she meant about "Rhiannon" even if Zoe didn't.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why do you think Misty Day is out of her mind? She does not seem any crazier to me than Fiona being desperate for youth yet aging herself with cocaine, or Madison killing a director because he criticized her. Misty seems like an FP (don't know which one yet) from a rural area who has strong Fi ethics about animals and wildlife who also understands natural medicine. And I knew exactly what she meant about "Rhiannon" even if Zoe didn't.

I actually thought she has to be an INFJ 4 . I think she's Fe rather than Fi. Usually when I see a strong Fi type, I can identify with them, but I can not indetify much with Misty Day.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually thought she has to be an INFJ 4 . I think she's Fe rather than Fi. Usually when I see a strong Fi type, I can identify with them, but I can not indetify much with Misty Day.

Is it possible what you are not relating to is Ni Se or Se Ni rather than Fe, because I don't see a clear example of Fe in her. If you would kindly explain why you think she is Fe, I will then give my interpretation.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Misty seems pretty clear-cut Fi to me -- driven by internal values and "following her own muse." Almost to a cliche degree, actually. Free spirit.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Misty seems pretty clear-cut Fi to me -- driven by internal values and "following her own muse." Almost to a cliche degree, actually. Free spirit.

I thought so too. I actually that might be what makes her seem "crazy" to Polly, that she clearly follows Fi.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it possible what you are not relating to is Ni Se or Se Ni rather than Fe, because I don't see a clear example of Fe in her. If you would kindly explain why you think she is Fe, I will then give my interpretation.

You might be right, that I might not relate to Ni Se or Se Ni... After some thinking I can change my mind and admit she might be an Fi. It was just the way she helped animals and took care of that... I don't know his name now "Tate" seemed a bit Fe to me, but I think she could act based on her inner values.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You might be right, that I might not relate to Ni Se or Se Ni... After some thinking I can change my mind and admit she might be an Fi. It was just the way she helped animals and took care of that... I don't know his name now "Tate" seemed a bit Fe to me, but I think she could act based on her inner values.

Hm ISFPs are stereotyped as having a particular affinity for animals, and there are certainly Fi animal rights activists. I once read an estimation that an ENFP PETA member would be most likely to unthinkingly destroy a total strangers expensive mink by tossing the fake blood. Fi does not give a shit about your mink, it cares about its internal ethics.

Of course not all Fi types are animal rights activists but I don't think the creed itself is Fi or Fe. I am definitely not Fe (I used to wish I could be so effortlessly appropriate) and I have deep empathy for animals, I can't even watch those SPCA commercials they apparently make to reach less sensitive people.

Fi versus Fe is not selfish versus helping, it's internally versus externally motivated morality. Fi is the Ti of the feeling world, it probes complex ethics while Fe is more practical and efficient ethical choices, like the feeling version of Te.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hm ISFPs are stereotyped as having a particular affinity for animals, and there are certainly Fi animal rights activists. I once read an estimation that an ENFP PETA member would be most likely to unthinkingly destroy a total strangers expensive mink by tossing the fake blood. Fi does not give a shit about your mink, it cares about its internal ethics.

Of course not all Fi types are animal rights activists but I don't think the creed itself is Fi or Fe. I am definitely not Fe (I used to wish I could be so effortlessly appropriate) and I have deep empathy for animals, I can't even watch those SPCA commercials they apparently make to reach less sensitive people.

Fi versus Fe is not selfish versus helping, it's internally versus externally motivated morality. Fi is the Ti of the feeling world, it probes complex ethics while Fe is more practical and efficient ethical choices, like the feeling version of Te.

I know Fi is about internal ethics and Fe is about external ethics... Though Jung never connected helping others and self-sacrificing with Fe, I correlated it because I am Fi and I am far from being helping, or self-sacrificing so I just always tought it is more a sign of Fe, than Fi, but I guess it depends on the individual. But if I were in the situation like she was, I think I'd do the same thing and try to help the animals, as I also has an empathy for animals...I am a vegetarian and I am deeply against any cruelity committed on the animals and I really think people should help these creatures rather then use them for personal benefits and it is really cruel just to eat meat, or use leather, or kill any creature for so meaningless things. Also I said that Misty seems out of her mind not because Fi or Fe, or any other functions...I said it, because I believe she is out of her mind. The way she didn't want to give up on caring about "Tate" (What is his name in this story? ) was just a silent scream how lonely she feels... Her own family has tried to kill her and none understood her abbilities. She was rejected and left alone by the most cruel way... And you just can see how the loneliness and misunderstanding slowly turns her...I really believe she will turn out as a negative character latter. Oh! And the mink? Why would anyone do that? If the person paid a lot of money for it why would anyone destroy it? The true thing people should give a fuk about is... why is someone an animal right acitivist when he hurts and don't respect the right of PEOPLE? It doesn't make any sense... Everyone is equal and everyone has the right to have their own opinion and own things...I would never do anything that would hurt anyone in any way...not people and not animals. If someone has the respect and the empathy for animlas he has to have the same respect and empathy for people. Though people can be shit sometimes more than animals...it's sad sometimes...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^^^^

Some people think animals deserve more value than people. Honestly, this is extremely subjective, and not a feature of Fi, but I only think Fi types have it...who subjectively places animals above others, because others are mean or unpredictable? Fi. I can't fathom Fe even at low health putting animals above people.

I have done it before and I have heard more than one jaded Fi type say it, whether FP or ISTJ.

I agree her desperate loneliness is obvious and sad, but I don't agree she is out of her mind re: Misty Day.