• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Making of "A Clockwork Orange" (YouTube Documentary)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Kubrick had a couple of bad experiences with screenings of the film with people misunderstanding, or people enjoying the violence of it. They felt that it was sort of giving them a rush."

R

Riva

It was the only movie I remember to have seen, liked but couldn't watch entirely because the violence of it was too shocking.

However I skipped and watched the end of it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was the only movie I remember to have seen, liked but couldn't watch entirely because the violence of it was too shocking.

However I skipped and watched the end of it.

You're simply misunderstanding the ultra-violence part of it!

Hey, what was ultra-violence supposed to be about anyway? Does Kubrick think we are mind-readers? Does he think everybody, including teens, will understand the depth of thought that went into ultra-violence? Did he imagine that there would be no copycat crimes? Did he have no understanding that there are psychologies in his audience different than his own, that he may be influencing sociopaths and psychopaths who wouldn't care what the movie was supposed to be about, particularly since he didn't bother to explain it?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're simply misunderstanding the ultra-violence part of it!

Hey, what was ultra-violence supposed to be about anyway? Does Kubrick think we are mind-readers? Does he think everybody, including teens, will understand the depth of thought that went into ultra-violence? Did he imagine that there would be no copycat crimes? Did he have no understanding that there are psychologies in his audience different than his own, that he may be influencing sociopaths and psychopaths who wouldn't care what the movie was supposed to be about, particularly since he didn't bother to explain it?

It was based on a book. Kubrick didn't think up the ultra-violence.

I also doubt he influenced socipaths or psychopaths. People have been doing twisted shit since before there were violent movies.

Doesn't this seem like something out of a violent movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was based on a book. Kubrick didn't think up the ultra-violence.

I also doubt he influenced socipaths or psychopaths. People have been doing twisted shit since before there were violent movies.

Doesn't this seem like something out of a violent movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

It was Anthony Burgess who thought up "ultra-violence" (not just violence, obviously). Kubrick influenced real life ultra-violence in the form of a gang who raped a tourist while singing "Singing in the Rain." These instances were happening so frequently that Kubrick withdrew the movie from the public for 25 years.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was Anthony Burgess who thought up "ultra-violence" (not just violence, obviously). Kubrick influenced real life ultra-violence in the form of a gang who raped a tourist while singing "Singing in the Rain." These instances were happening so frequently that Kubrick withdrew the movie from the public for 25 years.

He seems to have withdrawn the movie because of public pressure, not his own personal opinions.

Kubrick's own words:

To try and fasten any responsibility on art as the cause of life seems to me to put the case the wrong way around. Art consists of reshaping life, but it does not create life, nor cause life. Furthermore, to attribute powerful suggestive qualities to a film is at odds with the scientifically accepted view that, even after deep hypnosis in a posthypnotic state, people cannot be made to do things which are at odds with their natures.

I agree with that. The people that did that probably would have committed crimes anyway. I did not know about that research, but it does not surprise me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I remember stopping up late at the age of...I think 7-8 and watching this without my parents consent. I was a violent child, but if anything while I didn't understand the film at the time it actually made me uneasy and I became less violent at school.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He seems to have withdrawn the movie because of public pressure, not his own personal opinions.

Kubrick's own words:

I agree with that. The people that did that probably would have committed crimes anyway. I did not know about that research, but it does not surprise me.

Yes they would have committed crimes anyway, but not crimes obviously intended to emulate events in the movie.

Here is a (possible) definition of "Ultra-violence": "violence [which] is so physically graceful, visually dazzling and meticulously executed that our instinctual, emotional responses undermine any rational objections we may have."

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
And Christopher Nolan was responsible for the Aurora shooting.

Fuck that.

Artists are not responsible for the actions of others.
While Clockwork Orange was disturbing, the reaction was even moreso.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do we have a libertarian arguing for censorship in this thread? It seems that way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And Christopher Nolan was responsible for the Aurora shooting.

Fuck that.

Artists are not responsible for the actions of others.
While Clockwork Orange was disturbing, the reaction was even moreso.

Artists don't CAUSE the actions of others, they only influence them.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do we have a libertarian arguing for censorship in this thread? It seems that way.

Libertarians think backwards: they believe that politics produces values when values produces politics.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the movie was appalling.

Look at what the "milk bar" in the opening of that movie has done -- ever since, all those women ALL AROUND THE WORLD lactating and lactating and lactating, with only regard for their suckling babies without any regard for any other pursuit or human being.

Even women who HAVEN'T seen the movie are lactating now.

Kubrick triggered a horrific wave of lactation in humanity, and we are still paying the price for his lack of foresight.

Would that movie directors think more carefully about the kinds of things they create, lest some worse plague might overwhelm human society. Thinks like drinking fluids, or wearing clothes, or breathing.

I mean, it's in a movie, for god's sake!!

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tend to view art as an expression. There are certain underlying factors which good art tends to incorporate into itself. Generally speaking, I don't feel it creates those factors, but it can expose them in individuals in whom those factors might have never been acknowledged. I don't know the extent to which ultra-violence in popular media has a normalizing, or more importantly inciting effect on viewers. Speaking personally, I've seen a million different depictions of all kinds of graphic violence in my lifetime, but still managed to puke my guts out the first time I saw a live surgical operation.

My point is that people can tell the difference between fiction and reality. No one after watching a single graphic film is gonna go out and start committing crimes unless they had some basic imbalances that made them suggestible to begin with.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tend to view art as an expression. There are certain underlying factors which good art tends to incorporate into itself. Generally speaking, I don't feel it creates those factors, but it can expose them in individuals in whom those factors might have never been acknowledged. I don't know the extent to which ultra-violence in popular media has a normalizing, or more importantly inciting effect on viewers. Speaking personally, I've seen a million different depictions of all kinds of graphic violence in my lifetime, but still managed to puke my guts out the first time I saw a live surgical operation.

My point is that people can tell the difference between fiction and reality. No one after watching a single graphic film is gonna go out and start committing crimes unless they had some basic imbalances that made them suggestible to begin with.

The subconscious mind can't tell the difference between fiction and reality. And did you know that the Stephen King novel "Rage" has been connected to school shootings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_(Stephen_King_novel)#Connections_to_actual_school_shootings

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"You don't leave a can of gasoline where a boy with firebug tendencies can get his hands on it." Stephen King

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"You don't leave a can of gasoline where a boy with firebug tendencies can get his hands on it." Stephen King

Sorry, globalization and instant communication has kind of changed the game for good.

There is no way to keep ideas away from the crazies; and if it wasn't one source, it would be another.