First 12

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    And Christopher Nolan was responsible for the Aurora shooting.

Fuck that.

Artists are not responsible for the actions of others.
    While Clockwork Orange was disturbing, the reaction was even moreso.
    Artists don't CAUSE the actions of others, they only influence them.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Do we have a libertarian arguing for censorship in this thread? It seems that way.
    Libertarians think backwards: they believe that politics produces values when values produces politics.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm done. I don't have the energy for one of these right now.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think the movie was appalling.

Look at what the "milk bar" in the opening of that movie has done -- ever since, all those women ALL AROUND THE WORLD lactating and lactating and lactating, with only regard for their suckling babies without any regard for any other pursuit or human being.

Even women who HAVEN'T seen the movie are lactating now.

Kubrick triggered a horrific wave of lactation in humanity, and we are still paying the price for his lack of foresight.

Would that movie directors think more carefully about the kinds of things they create, lest some worse plague might overwhelm human society. Thinks like drinking fluids, or wearing clothes, or breathing.

I mean, it's in a movie, for god's sake!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I tend to view art as an expression. There are certain underlying factors which good art tends to incorporate into itself. Generally speaking, I don't feel it creates those factors, but it can expose them in individuals in whom those factors might have never been acknowledged. I don't know the extent to which ultra-violence in popular media has a normalizing, or more importantly inciting effect on viewers. Speaking personally, I've seen a million different depictions of all kinds of graphic violence in my lifetime, but still managed to puke my guts out the first time I saw a live surgical operation.

My point is that people can tell the difference between fiction and reality. No one after watching a single graphic film is gonna go out and start committing crimes unless they had some basic imbalances that made them suggestible to begin with.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I tend to view art as an expression. There are certain underlying factors which good art tends to incorporate into itself. Generally speaking, I don't feel it creates those factors, but it can expose them in individuals in whom those factors might have never been acknowledged. I don't know the extent to which ultra-violence in popular media has a normalizing, or more importantly inciting effect on viewers. Speaking personally, I've seen a million different depictions of all kinds of graphic violence in my lifetime, but still managed to puke my guts out the first time I saw a live surgical operation.

My point is that people can tell the difference between fiction and reality. No one after watching a single graphic film is gonna go out and start committing crimes unless they had some basic imbalances that made them suggestible to begin with.
    The subconscious mind can't tell the difference between fiction and reality. And did you know that the Stephen King novel "Rage" has been connected to school shootings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_%2...hool_shootings

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

"You don't leave a can of gasoline where a boy with firebug tendencies can get his hands on it." Stephen King

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I'm done. I don't have the energy for one of these right now.
    Lol, welcome to my world.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    "You don't leave a can of gasoline where a boy with firebug tendencies can get his hands on it." Stephen King
    Sorry, globalization and instant communication has kind of changed the game for good.

There is no way to keep ideas away from the crazies; and if it wasn't one source, it would be another.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft