• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John Mayer: Where The Light Is - Live In Los Angeles CD/DVD/BLURAY

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Wow. I got the DVD and it's amazing. Everything about it is superb - the cameras, the musicianship (as always), the way it's put together, you name it. I'd love to see the Bluray because it's pretty awesome visually. :headphne:

It's cool because the concert is broken down into three parts. JM does an opening set as just acoustic, then with the trio and then his band. The dude just wreaks with talent, a god on the guitar... Check it out.

JM_wtli_dvd.jpg

YouTube - John Mayer: Where The Light Is - Trailer

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It appears he's playing in Raleigh, NC on the 27th of August... Who wants to go with me?

*cough* ladyjaye? *cough* lawl

Jm = intp? Intj? Istp? Intp?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
A couple of songs from the acoustic set:

[youtube=3OjT2s1v0EQ]Neon[/youtube]

[youtube=zFOCvuii96w]Free Fallin' (Tom Petty cover)[/youtube]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Non JM listening SOB's. You must be a bunch of dirty Republicans (right Pinky?).

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can never make up my mind about John Mayer. I hear his teenybopper stuff and I want to dismiss him as another Jack Johnson-ish, Dashboard Confessional-esque wanker. Then I hear him shred on the Trio stuff and I want to call him one of the most promising blues guitarists in some time. I don't begrudge the man the chance to widen his audience. But it does leave me with a kind of fuzzy impression of him.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh man, I love JM! I first heard him when that "run through the halls of my high school" song was big on the radio and after I got done gagging, I realized I actually liked it a lot. It was so darn catchy and kind of genuinely inspiring.

I hear he has a giant weiner too.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some comedian said it best, he's the current douchebag that replaced Adam Duritz as the musician douchebag that's nailing all the Hollywood hotties.

I hear he has a giant weiner too.

Ah, now I understand why.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
He's also funny. I saw him on Dave Chappelle a few times, I think. Just sayin', it's not all about the weiner! I mean, it's mostly about the weiner, but not all.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's also funny. I saw him on Dave Chappelle a few times, I think. Just sayin', it's not all about the weiner! I mean, it's mostly about the weiner, but not all.
John Meyer = weiner.

Got it.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Some comedian said it best, he's the current douchebag that replaced Adam Duritz as the musician douchebag that's nailing all the Hollywood hotties.

Nobody will ever match Adam Duritz as a douchebag. It's like trying to be a worse talk show host than Magic Johnson.

He was very funny on Chappelle. That was a great skit.

As for the weiner, that explains why Michael Bay is such a prick.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think it's a bad thing to possess pop sensibilities and to implement that into your music... Just because he is super talented and can do the whole trio, bluesy, guitar-shredding-frenzy-of-madness thing, doesn't mean he can't be free to put out material that's more commercially appealing. A lot of people would probably assume he has the wrong motives for the radio music he puts out, but I don't think that's the case at all. From interviews and even this DVD, he talks a little about it and seems to genuinely enjoy the experience of tapping into different arenas and exploring new territories with his career and music. It makes total sense to me anyways...

A lot of his pop stuff is damn catchy, so I don't hate. I do skip a number of tracks from the albums he's put out but I also stop and think "God damn..." when listening to a lot of the songs.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think it's a bad thing to possess pop sensibilities and to implement that into your music...

Oh, I don't either. Some of my favorite artists are pure pop, like Jellyfish and Brendan Benson. I don't begrudge him seeking a wide audience. I just feel like he's straying from the source of his true talent, like if Trent Reznor started making Irish folk music. I have nothing against Irish folk music, but Trent's probably better served doing what he's doing.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh, I forgot how much I love Jellyfish. Sabrina, Paste, and Plato may be my favorite song evar :)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Oh, I don't either. Some of my favorite artists are pure pop, like Jellyfish and Brendan Benson. I don't begrudge him seeking a wide audience. I just feel like he's straying from the source of his true talent, like if Trent Reznor started making Irish folk music. I have nothing against Irish folk music, but Trent's probably better served doing what he's doing.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. As for me though, I give him props because he really hasn't "strayed" in my eyes. He hasn't seemed to abandon any of his skills whether it be his classic, gritty, blues guitar playing or him reeling in the chics with his catchy, radio rock (and large penis, according to Ivy). If anything I think he's expanded himself because he started out playing the catchy radio stuff and then, somewhat recently, ventured out with his trio project and showed the general public a taste of his chops.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I love the trio, and he was fantastic when I saw him last year. I'll check out the DVD!

When I forst heard he started playing blues based music, my jaw dropped. I was not expecting it. But he does it damn well.

Beat, I agree with you on the pop sensibilities part. I've always appreciated great musicians with pop sensilities more than those without. I don't get why "pop" is such a dirty word these days. I have a pretty wide definition of pop, though... like I consider Coltrane, or even Tom Waits to have pop sensibilities on many songs on the Rain Dogs album, and I wouldn't say the Pussycat Dolls have any pop sensibility to their songs at all, but I digress. I guess pop sensilities to me means songwriting, not just technical musicianship. The pop aspect of songs only makes them better, and pop sensibilities only makes a musician better. Thats why I think Hendrix is probably the best guitarist or even just the best musician I've ever heard; he wasn't just amazing at playing guitar, but he could focus his talent into elegantly simple, but still deep, innovative, and visionary pop songs. John Mayer runs in this vein, too, and for that he is better than most guys out there today.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Another song from the acoustic set that I really like dig and haven't heard until this DVD. One of his older songs.

[youtube=i_KnnHRQeaE]In Your Atmosphere[/youtube]