User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Some comedian said it best, he's the current douchebag that replaced Adam Duritz as the musician douchebag that's nailing all the Hollywood hotties.
    Nobody will ever match Adam Duritz as a douchebag. It's like trying to be a worse talk show host than Magic Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    He's also funny. I saw him on Dave Chappelle a few times, I think. Just sayin', it's not all about the weiner! I mean, it's mostly about the weiner, but not all.
    He was very funny on Chappelle. That was a great skit.

As for the weiner, that explains why Michael Bay is such a prick.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't think it's a bad thing to possess pop sensibilities and to implement that into your music... Just because he is super talented and can do the whole trio, bluesy, guitar-shredding-frenzy-of-madness thing, doesn't mean he can't be free to put out material that's more commercially appealing. A lot of people would probably assume he has the wrong motives for the radio music he puts out, but I don't think that's the case at all. From interviews and even this DVD, he talks a little about it and seems to genuinely enjoy the experience of tapping into different arenas and exploring new territories with his career and music. It makes total sense to me anyways...

A lot of his pop stuff is damn catchy, so I don't hate. I do skip a number of tracks from the albums he's put out but I also stop and think "God damn..." when listening to a lot of the songs.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Wow, beat you're pretty set on him being a T.

How do you figure that?
    Some of his letters have to match mine, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I don't think it's a bad thing to possess pop sensibilities and to implement that into your music...
    Oh, I don't either. Some of my favorite artists are pure pop, like Jellyfish and Brendan Benson. I don't begrudge him seeking a wide audience. I just feel like he's straying from the source of his true talent, like if Trent Reznor started making Irish folk music. I have nothing against Irish folk music, but Trent's probably better served doing what he's doing.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, I forgot how much I love Jellyfish. Sabrina, Paste, and Plato may be my favorite song evar
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Oh, I don't either. Some of my favorite artists are pure pop, like Jellyfish and Brendan Benson. I don't begrudge him seeking a wide audience. I just feel like he's straying from the source of his true talent, like if Trent Reznor started making Irish folk music. I have nothing against Irish folk music, but Trent's probably better served doing what he's doing.
    Yeah, I see what you're saying. As for me though, I give him props because he really hasn't "strayed" in my eyes. He hasn't seemed to abandon any of his skills whether it be his classic, gritty, blues guitar playing or him reeling in the chics with his catchy, radio rock (and large penis, according to Ivy). If anything I think he's expanded himself because he started out playing the catchy radio stuff and then, somewhat recently, ventured out with his trio project and showed the general public a taste of his chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh, I forgot how much I love Jellyfish. Sabrina, Paste, and Plato may be my favorite song evar
    Baby's Coming Back is definitely one of my top 5 songs ever, and The Ghost At Number One is not far behind.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Some of his letters have to match mine, man.
    IxFJ

MBTI
    infp

I love the trio, and he was fantastic when I saw him last year. I'll check out the DVD!

When I forst heard he started playing blues based music, my jaw dropped. I was not expecting it. But he does it damn well.

Beat, I agree with you on the pop sensibilities part. I've always appreciated great musicians with pop sensilities more than those without. I don't get why "pop" is such a dirty word these days. I have a pretty wide definition of pop, though... like I consider Coltrane, or even Tom Waits to have pop sensibilities on many songs on the Rain Dogs album, and I wouldn't say the Pussycat Dolls have any pop sensibility to their songs at all, but I digress. I guess pop sensilities to me means songwriting, not just technical musicianship. The pop aspect of songs only makes them better, and pop sensibilities only makes a musician better. Thats why I think Hendrix is probably the best guitarist or even just the best musician I've ever heard; he wasn't just amazing at playing guitar, but he could focus his talent into elegantly simple, but still deep, innovative, and visionary pop songs. John Mayer runs in this vein, too, and for that he is better than most guys out there today.

MBTI
    ISTx

Another song from the acoustic set that I really like dig and haven't heard until this DVD. One of his older songs.

[youtube=i_KnnHRQeaE]In Your Atmosphere[/youtube]