• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movie trends

Lark

What do you think are the trending themes in horror movies or movies in general at the moment and why do you think they could trending?

I saw ads for that movie "You're Next" or something like that which features people in animal masks laying siege to a house hold of people and killing them one by one, this seems so much the same as that other movie "The Purge" or something like that, which seems a lot like "Funny Games" before it. I would label those movies a "Siege Horror", dont know if that's actually a thing, do you ever label movies by some commonality or common theme like that?

Do you think that movies which are trending are "trend setters" or responding to a pre-existing demand or cultural trend? Like are they making those movies because people want to see them or are people just going to see a movie anyway and that happens to be what is on?

Seems like the "natural disasters" and "animal attack" movies are spent too BTW.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cultural trend, but some of these movies have been in the works for many years (Ender's Game is one of them.)

I'm starting to see a lot of dystopian/apocalyptic films of all sub-genres going out this and a bit of last year, however.

Hunger Games (and sequel... Catching Fire coming this year,) World War Z, Ender's game, and Elysium to name the notables of mine.

Some others like Stark Trek Into Darkness, Oblivion, The Purge, and After Earth.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The trend that I see is that critics like the horror movies that aren't scary or gory...presumably because it doesn't cause them to crap their pants and saves them some embarrassment sitting through. That's the only reason I can think of on why they thought The Conjuring was better than Insidious, the latter of which was genuinely scary.

Capsaicin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't think I've noticed any recent trends, except that maybe movies like The Purge mean we're tiring of slasher films and are moving towards a different kind of visceral, physical horror. I haven't seen the latest in any of the big gore or slasher series such as Saw, but I do remember that there was very little hype and it's possible people (gorehounds excluded) are getting bored of it.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What do you think are the trending themes in horror movies or movies in general at the moment and why do you think they could trending?

I saw ads for that movie "You're Next" or something like that which features people in animal masks laying siege to a house hold of people and killing them one by one, this seems so much the same as that other movie "The Purge" or something like that, which seems a lot like "Funny Games" before it. I would label those movies a "Siege Horror", dont know if that's actually a thing, do you ever label movies by some commonality or common theme like that?

Do you think that movies which are trending are "trend setters" or responding to a pre-existing demand or cultural trend? Like are they making those movies because people want to see them or are people just going to see a movie anyway and that happens to be what is on?

Seems like the "natural disasters" and "animal attack" movies are spent too BTW.

Definitely their are trends. Probably they are partial zeitgeist and partially studios competing. My boyfriend has a film degree. He told me there are theories about trends in horror movies relating to out cultural fears. In the US this is shown through the movies of the fifities which typical featured aliens or outside spies or monsters. These are things that are foreign of different and they were related to the treat of communism in this theory. It compares that to the seventies/eighties where you get movies about serial killer and the killer you know. Bein more afraid of what's within was related to loss of faith in the American gonverment after watergate and Vietnam.

In this line of thought I noticed more and more religious possession type movies. Perhaps related to feelings of religious alienation as more people are brought up in secular households. Who knows.

Perhaps the siege movie is psychologically connected to the recession and the fact that the home is no longer as stable as it once was. People losing heir homes or the value of their home ect.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The trend that I see is that critics like the horror movies that aren't scary or gory...presumably because it doesn't cause them to crap their pants and saves them some embarrassment sitting through. That's the only reason I can think of on why they thought The Conjuring was better than Insidious, the latter of which was genuinely scary.

I thought the Conjuring had more scare moments, and I'm also a big fan of the Saw movies