• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How To Make Star Wars Episode II KEWL

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I likes seeing this sort of video, especially when it comes to movies that are real dogs. I've done much the same with The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant over on kevinswatch.com, where I posted a few ideas on how to make Fatal Revenant a kewler novel. I thought it was fairly good as it stands, but the character of Roger Covenant could have been made more sinister and conniving.

And of course, Donaldson's take on that is: If you don't like it, write your own damn novel!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Keeping Maul around and making Naboo Alderaan are pretty much no-brainers. I can't figure out why George didn't go for it.

All of those scripts needed a few more rewrites, so I suppose that had something to do with it.

Also, yes to actually bothering to show Obi-Wan and Anakin as friends, and making Obi-Wan the main character.

My main issue with the alternate version is that the ending seems a little anti-climactic. I like making Dooku actually not a bad guy, which I thought was what he was being set up as anyway.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
This is what was so disappointing about the prequels... the basic story had so much potential, and was so poorly done on a storytelling and (especially) dialogue level that they (especially episode 2) were difficult for even those of us who grew up as Star Wars fans to enjoy.

I'd definitely buy a ticket to see the movie he describes in his video, no question.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is what was so disappointing about the prequels... the basic story had so much potential, and was so poorly done on a storytelling and (especially) dialogue level that they (especially episode 2) were difficult for even those of us who grew up as Star Wars fans to enjoy.

It just kind of baffles me how much stuff George dropped the ball on. We see Anakin as this sweet kid, and then 10 years later, we see him and he's already kind of dick. We missed the important part, of him becoming a dick! After that it was merely acquiring more degrees of dickishness, which also makes everyone around him look like an idiot for not realizing that he's a dick.

Also, the Jedi end up looking lame. I like that this version fixes that, by actually having them stand for things.

The biggest failure of these movies is that the Obi-Wan /Anakin relationship is all wrong. Obi-Wan doesn't even want to train Anakin to begin with! It's antagonistic from the start. This means that his turn has very little dramatic weight.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are too many words in this to finish in one sitting. I'll be back.

But as for the beginning, I'd want to go moderate on the Anakin/Obi Wan friendship thing. Establish their bond in the first half to two thirds of the film, yes. Toward the end, show the audience the wedge that initially came between him and Obi-Wan. Give the two something to fight over that will leave their relationship forebodingly strained at the end. Ani's relationship with Padme is a good candidate for that. Maybe he ditches Obi-wan to see her at the wrong time, leaving his mentor in danger and the image of the Jedi damaged.

The foreshadowing: that if he ever had to choose between his relationship and the Jedi order, he might just screw the order.

If this is what happens over the rest of the video, welp. Damn.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are too many words in this to finish in one sitting. I'll be back.

But as for the beginning, I'd want to go moderate on the Anakin/Obi Wan friendship thing. Establish their bond in the first half to two thirds of the film, yes. Toward the end, show the audience the wedge that initially came between him and Obi-Wan. Give the two something to fight over that will leave their relationship forebodingly strained at the end. Ani's relationship with Padme is a good candidate for that. Maybe he ditches Obi-wan to see her at the wrong time, leaving his mentor in danger and the image of the Jedi damaged.

The foreshadowing: that if he ever had to choose between his relationship and the Jedi order, he might just screw the order.

If this is what happens over the rest of the video, welp. Damn.

It's not. But if Anakin and Obi-wan were great friends, that would put a strain on the objective master/student relationship they had. Obi-wan would shun the consequences of being too emotionally close to a Padwan.

As it is, Anakin starts out the series as brash, impulsive, and driven to seek power. Life challenges lead him to bitterly seek more and more power, until eventually he desires power over life and death itself.

It would be more difficult to explain how an emotionally balanced Anakin could slide into darkness.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not. But if Anakin and Obi-wan were great friends, that would put a strain on the objective master/student relationship they had. Obi-wan would shun the consequences of being too emotionally close to a Padwan.

Too bad in the original trilogy, Obi-wan calls Anakin his best friend, much like Mark was to Johnny, at least without Lisa in the picture. How do you know that Obi-wan would shun that? Based on what evidence from the OT could one even draw that conclusion?

As it is, Anakin starts out the series as brash, impulsive, and driven to seek power. Life challenges lead him to bitterly seek more and more power, until eventually he desires power over life and death itself.

It would be more difficult to explain how an emotionally balanced Anakin could slide into darkness.

Sometimes people become emotionally imbalanced. That would have been more interesting to watch.

We don't see how he goes from the dopey kid to the emo dickwad in the second movie, which seems like something we might have wanted to watch, if these movies really are the story of Anakin Skywalker. He's definitely not that emotionally imbalanced in the first movie, so what happened? I shouldn't have to read some spin off book to find out, that kind of thing really should have been in movie. We're not talking Jabba's bearded father, here.

Zorba.jpg

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
msg said it about emotionally balanced people (or, seemingly emotionally imbalanced until something, some ol' plot device, comes along to kick down their tenuous defenses...) slipping. Most of us probably know somebody who has. I know I'd relate.

The catch is, the reason Anakin's stability fell to such an extreme would have to be really, really good and true to life, or the people who could have related to the fall would scoff at it the hardest of all. I can see a director messing that up: "Whaaa? He became Darth Vader just because of that? Weak!"

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
msg said it about emotionally balanced people (or, seemingly emotionally imbalanced until something, some ol' plot device, comes along to kick down their tenuous defenses...) slipping. Most of us probably know somebody who has. I know I'd relate.

The catch is, the reason Anakin's stability fell to such an extreme would have to be really, really good and true to life, or the people who could have related to the fall would scoff at it the hardest of all. I can see a director messing that up: "Whaaa? He became Darth Vader just because of that? Weak!"

Thankfully, we had a plausible explanation instead. The emperor told him a bedtime story about secret Jedi powers. Thank god this was all made believable by Anakin being kind of a dick to begin with.

I really think the scripts to all of those movies needed a few more drafts.

What's the dramatic arc to watching a guy that spent his entire adult life being a dick become more of a dick? Doesn't this make all the non-dicks look like idiots? If this was supposed to be Anakin's fall, why is he only not a dick when he's a kid? Because that's easier to write?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thankfully, we had a plausible explanation instead. The emperor told him a bedtime story about secret Jedi powers. Thank god this was all made believable by Anakin being kind of a dick to begin with.

I really think the scripts to all of those movies needed a few more drafts.

What's the dramatic arc to watching a guy that spent his entire adult life being a dick become more of a dick? Doesn't this make all the non-dicks look like idiots? If this was supposed to be Anakin's fall, why is he only not a dick when he's a kid? Because that's easier to write?

You're agreeing with me. And yes, it's easier to write.

A

Anew Leaf

I really wish there was a longer scene where Anakin theorizes on the myriad of reasons as to why he doesn't like sand but does like skin.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're agreeing with me. And yes, it's easier to write.

Seeing as how you are unfamiliar with sarcasm, I shall close the register at this point.

Simpsons quotes aside, I don't really find what happens in Episode III to be that plausible. Anakin's actions don't really resonate or make sny sense. Though... I also think Lucas might be an INTJ (ennegram 5). Perhaps for an INTJ they would resonate and make sense.

Lucas said that he didn't really see Anakin's fall as being about his relationship (even though it was kind of set up that way)... it was about a lust for power. Inferior Se, not Inferior Fe. My rewritten version of the prequel trilogy is more inferior Fe in motivation, because that's what I understand.

I think George was really writing about what happened with him and his wife. I found this interesting page about what Lucas's personal life was like when the original trilogy was being made... and there are some interesting parallels. I really think he had reflected on the experience a lot, and was trying to put that into the movie. I'm too lazy to google it, but it was called the Secret History of Star Wars. It's a tad incendiary, but it's interesting to see all the movies placed within a more personal context. I think the whole Anakin thing was written out of how his marriage fell apart. I think Lucas used to see himself as Luke, but as he grew older, he saw himself more as Anakin. (Hearing him talk about his father in interviews is interesting.)

Anyway... even assuming Anakin is an INTJ, and I shouldn't be expecting him to act like an INTP, the scripts still needed a few rewrites. If it's really about power, then why is this stuff about "doing it for lové" in there. is it his excuse? But if that's the case, the forbidden love angle should really be de-emphasized. If that has nothing to do with his fall, why the hell is it so big a part of the movie?

If it's the power thing, his whole desire to build an empire and order the galaxy (hinted at), needs to be expanded upon. Romance should be de-emphasized.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seeing as how you are unfamiliar with sarcasm, I shall close the register at this point.

Simpsons quotes aside, I don't really find what happens in Episode III to be that plausible. Anakin's actions don't really resonate or make sny sense. Though... I also think Lucas might be an INTJ (ennegram 5). Perhaps for an INTJ they would resonate and make sense.

Lucas said that he didn't really see Anakin's fall as being about his relationship (even though it was kind of set up that way)... it was about a lust for power. Inferior Se, not Inferior Fe. My rewritten version of the prequel trilogy is more inferior Fe in motivation, because that's what I understand.

I think George was really writing about what happened with him and his wife. I found this interesting page about what Lucas's personal life was like when the original trilogy was being made... and there are some interesting parallels. I really think he had reflected on the experience a lot, and was trying to put that into the movie. I'm too lazy to google it, but it was called the Secret History of Star Wars. It's a tad incendiary, but it's interesting to see all the movies placed within a more personal context. I think the whole Anakin thing was written out of how his marriage fell apart. I think Lucas used to see himself as Luke, but as he grew older, he saw himself more as Anakin. (Hearing him talk about his father in interviews is interesting.)

Anyway... even assuming Anakin is an INTJ, and I shouldn't be expecting him to act like an INTP, the scripts still needed a few rewrites. If it's really about power, then why is this stuff about "doing it for lové" in there. is it his excuse? But if that's the case, the forbidden love angle should really be de-emphasized. If that has nothing to do with his fall, why the hell is it so big a part of the movie?

If it's the power thing, his whole desire to build an empire and order the galaxy (hinted at), needs to be expanded upon. Romance should be de-emphasized.

Especially in a kids movie!