12 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default How To Make Star Wars Episode II KEWL

I likes seeing this sort of video, especially when it comes to movies that are real dogs. I've done much the same with The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant over on kevinswatch.com, where I posted a few ideas on how to make Fatal Revenant a kewler novel. I thought it was fairly good as it stands, but the character of Roger Covenant could have been made more sinister and conniving.

And of course, Donaldson's take on that is: If you don't like it, write your own damn novel!

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Keeping Maul around and making Naboo Alderaan are pretty much no-brainers. I can't figure out why George didn't go for it.

All of those scripts needed a few more rewrites, so I suppose that had something to do with it.

Also, yes to actually bothering to show Obi-Wan and Anakin as friends, and making Obi-Wan the main character.

My main issue with the alternate version is that the ending seems a little anti-climactic. I like making Dooku actually not a bad guy, which I thought was what he was being set up as anyway.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INtP

This is what was so disappointing about the prequels... the basic story had so much potential, and was so poorly done on a storytelling and (especially) dialogue level that they (especially episode 2) were difficult for even those of us who grew up as Star Wars fans to enjoy.

I'd definitely buy a ticket to see the movie he describes in his video, no question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    This is what was so disappointing about the prequels... the basic story had so much potential, and was so poorly done on a storytelling and (especially) dialogue level that they (especially episode 2) were difficult for even those of us who grew up as Star Wars fans to enjoy.
    It just kind of baffles me how much stuff George dropped the ball on. We see Anakin as this sweet kid, and then 10 years later, we see him and he's already kind of dick. We missed the important part, of him becoming a dick! After that it was merely acquiring more degrees of dickishness, which also makes everyone around him look like an idiot for not realizing that he's a dick.

Also, the Jedi end up looking lame. I like that this version fixes that, by actually having them stand for things.

The biggest failure of these movies is that the Obi-Wan /Anakin relationship is all wrong. Obi-Wan doesn't even want to train Anakin to begin with! It's antagonistic from the start. This means that his turn has very little dramatic weight.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

There are too many words in this to finish in one sitting. I'll be back.

But as for the beginning, I'd want to go moderate on the Anakin/Obi Wan friendship thing. Establish their bond in the first half to two thirds of the film, yes. Toward the end, show the audience the wedge that initially came between him and Obi-Wan. Give the two something to fight over that will leave their relationship forebodingly strained at the end. Ani's relationship with Padme is a good candidate for that. Maybe he ditches Obi-wan to see her at the wrong time, leaving his mentor in danger and the image of the Jedi damaged.

The foreshadowing: that if he ever had to choose between his relationship and the Jedi order, he might just screw the order.

If this is what happens over the rest of the video, welp. Damn.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    There are too many words in this to finish in one sitting. I'll be back.

But as for the beginning, I'd want to go moderate on the Anakin/Obi Wan friendship thing. Establish their bond in the first half to two thirds of the film, yes. Toward the end, show the audience the wedge that initially came between him and Obi-Wan. Give the two something to fight over that will leave their relationship forebodingly strained at the end. Ani's relationship with Padme is a good candidate for that. Maybe he ditches Obi-wan to see her at the wrong time, leaving his mentor in danger and the image of the Jedi damaged.

The foreshadowing: that if he ever had to choose between his relationship and the Jedi order, he might just screw the order.

If this is what happens over the rest of the video, welp. Damn.
    It's not. But if Anakin and Obi-wan were great friends, that would put a strain on the objective master/student relationship they had. Obi-wan would shun the consequences of being too emotionally close to a Padwan.

As it is, Anakin starts out the series as brash, impulsive, and driven to seek power. Life challenges lead him to bitterly seek more and more power, until eventually he desires power over life and death itself.

It would be more difficult to explain how an emotionally balanced Anakin could slide into darkness.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    It's not. But if Anakin and Obi-wan were great friends, that would put a strain on the objective master/student relationship they had. Obi-wan would shun the consequences of being too emotionally close to a Padwan.
    Too bad in the original trilogy, Obi-wan calls Anakin his best friend, much like Mark was to Johnny, at least without Lisa in the picture. How do you know that Obi-wan would shun that? Based on what evidence from the OT could one even draw that conclusion?

As it is, Anakin starts out the series as brash, impulsive, and driven to seek power. Life challenges lead him to bitterly seek more and more power, until eventually he desires power over life and death itself.

It would be more difficult to explain how an emotionally balanced Anakin could slide into darkness.
    Sometimes people become emotionally imbalanced. That would have been more interesting to watch.

We don't see how he goes from the dopey kid to the emo dickwad in the second movie, which seems like something we might have wanted to watch, if these movies really are the story of Anakin Skywalker. He's definitely not that emotionally imbalanced in the first movie, so what happened? I shouldn't have to read some spin off book to find out, that kind of thing really should have been in movie. We're not talking Jabba's bearded father, here.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

msg said it about emotionally balanced people (or, seemingly emotionally imbalanced until something, some ol' plot device, comes along to kick down their tenuous defenses...) slipping. Most of us probably know somebody who has. I know I'd relate.

The catch is, the reason Anakin's stability fell to such an extreme would have to be really, really good and true to life, or the people who could have related to the fall would scoff at it the hardest of all. I can see a director messing that up: "Whaaa? He became Darth Vader just because of that? Weak!"
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    msg said it about emotionally balanced people (or, seemingly emotionally imbalanced until something, some ol' plot device, comes along to kick down their tenuous defenses...) slipping. Most of us probably know somebody who has. I know I'd relate.

The catch is, the reason Anakin's stability fell to such an extreme would have to be really, really good and true to life, or the people who could have related to the fall would scoff at it the hardest of all. I can see a director messing that up: "Whaaa? He became Darth Vader just because of that? Weak!"
    Thankfully, we had a plausible explanation instead. The emperor told him a bedtime story about secret Jedi powers. Thank god this was all made believable by Anakin being kind of a dick to begin with.

I really think the scripts to all of those movies needed a few more drafts.

What's the dramatic arc to watching a guy that spent his entire adult life being a dick become more of a dick? Doesn't this make all the non-dicks look like idiots? If this was supposed to be Anakin's fall, why is he only not a dick when he's a kid? Because that's easier to write?

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Thankfully, we had a plausible explanation instead. The emperor told him a bedtime story about secret Jedi powers. Thank god this was all made believable by Anakin being kind of a dick to begin with.

I really think the scripts to all of those movies needed a few more drafts.

What's the dramatic arc to watching a guy that spent his entire adult life being a dick become more of a dick? Doesn't this make all the non-dicks look like idiots? If this was supposed to be Anakin's fall, why is he only not a dick when he's a kid? Because that's easier to write?
    You're agreeing with me. And yes, it's easier to write.