Thread: Kick-Ass 2

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Kick-Ass 2

Here's a situation where the negative reviews did not seem to be fair .The movie only picked up a 28% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I think a fairer score would have been somewhere in the mid 50's. I actually enjoyed it probably more than Elysium.

Main issues:
    1. No longer novel, just "more of same."
    2. The Hit Girl plotline took her out of action for the middle of the movie, where actually she's the most entertaining person in the series.
    3. Kind of meandered around without much of a goal.
    4. The characters weren't necessarily memorable.

I don't think I would have recognized Jim Carrey if I didn't know who he was playing -- it was actually a pretty restrained performance by him (in a movie prone to excess, especially) than you would have seen from him in the early or mid 90's.

I was the only person in the theater who sat through the entire credits, not even expecting anything... and yes to my joy, there's a final clip at the very end of the movie. I mean, the bar was set by Marvel: What kind of superhero movie doesn't have a teaser clip at end of film nowadays? Nothing spectacular, but it does reopen a can of worms that I thought was empty.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

At least enough of the critics on RT were genuinely offended by the movie for me to go see it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Meh...

The sick stick was pretty funny though. Other than that, I didn't especially laugh much at this one, many of the jokes were just rehashes of jokes in the first movie.

The first one had a funny first and third act, though I thought it got a little too serious (or maybe just confused) during the second...this one is just funny in some places, but nothing really memorable aside from the sick stick.

And the post-credits scene was underwhelming, but I welcome another Kick-Ass movie...especially one directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

I saw it last Thursday! I liked it, but I think
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, they probably threw him in jail the day the movie released.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Hopefully, they were filming in France.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    I saw it last Thursday! I liked it, but I think
    Apparently she's 16 now, which is the legal age of consent in most US states. Maybe that was the last scene they filmed before releasing it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Here's a situation where the negative reviews did not seem to be fair .The movie only picked up a 28% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I think a fairer score would have been somewhere in the mid 50's. I actually enjoyed it probably more than Elysium.

Main issues:
    1. No longer novel, just "more of same."
    2. The Hit Girl plotline took her out of action for the middle of the movie, where actually she's the most entertaining person in the series.
    3. Kind of meandered around without much of a goal.
    4. The characters weren't necessarily memorable.

I don't think I would have recognized Jim Carrey if I didn't know who he was playing -- it was actually a pretty restrained performance by him (in a movie prone to excess, especially) than you would have seen from him in the early or mid 90's.

I was the only person in the theater who sat through the entire credits, not even expecting anything... and yes to my joy, there's a final clip at the very end of the movie. I mean, the bar was set by Marvel: What kind of superhero movie doesn't have a teaser clip at end of film nowadays? Nothing spectacular, but it does reopen a can of worms that I thought was empty.
    I've certainly thought that about a lot of Carrey's performances, he did a couple of roles like 23 and seems to have lost a certain knack maybe.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Hopefully, they were filming in France.
    Yes, he's a genius in France!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I've certainly thought that about a lot of Carrey's performances, he did a couple of roles like 23 and seems to have lost a certain knack maybe.
    What's that have to do with this movie? Did you see it?

My comment was meant as a compliment to him, it's actually nice to see him inhabit a character versus just acting manic.