Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Mesmerizing Atmospheric Films

The top three I have seen recently are Stoker, Magic Magic and Beasts of the Southern Wild. Other examples are the original Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and Susperia.

If you still don't know what I am getting at I am talking about films that are visual and auditory works of art. They cause you to feel something beyond or outside the narrative. I can watch these sorts of films over and over, twice in a row sometimes or its nice to have them on in the background.

Often its impossible to ever entirely understand them or at least they're have layers that almost demand you watch again. Hyperreality may be a part of it, but not always.

A Russian film I watched called 4 also qualified as this.

Give some of your own examples.

RDF

I actually pretty much dislike these "atmospheric" films. I'm not going to rant about it; plenty of people like them. I just don't like them myself.

But in any case I've been ordering a lot of movies on Netflix, ran through most of the big-budget pictures, and have been working through the indie pictures. And a lot of recent indie movies go for this "atmospheric" vibe.

For super-atmospheric indie flicks that I've seen recently:
    Upstream Color (so atmospheric that it barely had any dialog)
    Children of Men

A little less atmospheric but still funky:
    Time Crimes
    Let the Right One In
    Audition
    Martha Marcy May Marlene

Less atmospheric and more mainstream but still with a definite indie feel; in fact I liked these two much more than the rest:
    Winter's Bone
    Starlet

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I know what you mean; it's film as poetry.

Terrence Malick films are a prime example; the best ones IMO being Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and The New World.

Some other ones I'd recommend are:
    - The Red Violin
    - The Seventh Seal
    - Heavenly Creatures
    - The Night of the Hunter
    - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
    - The Three Colours Trilogy
    (Blue is my favourite)
    - Orlando
    - Princess Mononoke
    - Rebecca
    - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

- In the Mood for Love and 2046
    - Let the Right One in
    - Children of Men
    - Take Shelter
    - Dark City
    - There Will Be Blood

Other obvious choices are films by Powell and Pressburger, Stanley Kubrick, Jane Campion and Ingmar Bergman.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Dark City
    Hero
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    "Box" Segment (from Three Extremes)
    Winter's Bone
    Snow Falling on Cedars

It's not really a wonder that many of the films I imagine end up being Asian films or Asian-themed films.

I also agree about Malick's films, at least the ones I have seen. He's such an interesting director and writer in that it's all more about being immersed in his movie even if afterwards I have a lot of trouble articulating what I've seen. The movie itself typically defies rational explanation. He's the Western director I typically most have trouble articulating what his movies are about, while being mesmerized while watching.

Getting on to more disturbing "poetry":
    The only reason I'll rewatch Fincher's "Se7en" is more because of atmosphere and immersion in the physical world of the movie. I'm not sure the movie itself (characters and plot) is anything special, but it's the atmosphere that resonates (in a dark way). Same thing goes for the American version of "The Ring," which has its failings in plot, but it's more about the colors and environment and "wrongness" of the imagery interacting with itself that can feel disturbing. And then there is "Blade Runner."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Beast of the Southern Wild was excellent.

For whatever reason, what immediately came to mind for me was the Snowtown Murders there's something in the ambiance itself of the film that obscures the horror of it. Hard to explain.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

WALMART

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Thin Red Line

The Dollars Trilogy

You know, a lot of videogames induce a surrealistic experience as well. Those are by far my favorite.

Stansmith

Last one I watched was Une Femme est Une Femme, I found it really beautiful for whatever reason

Godard's film/narrative style is just

MBTI
    INFP

Solaris was pretty good. The new version, haven't seen the original.

Stansmith

Pierrot Le Fou

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Solaris was pretty good. The new version, haven't seen the original.
    That one actually came to mind. The whole thing is rather dreamy in tone and approach, especially how it cuts to flashbacks and then back to reality, it all kind of blends together and just becomes more and more surreal feeling. It all ends up feeling like "mental space."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft