User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 27

  1. #11
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    The top three I have seen recently are Stoker, Magic Magic and Beasts of the Southern Wild. Other examples are the original Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and Susperia.
    If you like 'Suspiria', you might like other Argento films from the time period between 'Profondo Rosso' and 'Opera' as well, although none are as visually magical as 'Suspiria'. I hear his more recents movies are crap.

    You might like Wong Kar Wai's films, such as 'Chungking Express', 'In the Mood for Love' and '2046', basically all his collaborations with Christopher Doyle.

    You might like Yimou Zhang's films, such as 'Raise the Red Lantern', 'Hero', 'Curse of the Golden Flower'.

    You might like Ron Fricke's work, such as 'Koyaanisqatsi, 'Chronos', 'Baraka' and 'Samsara'.

    You might like Lars von Trier's films, such as 'Antichrist' and 'Melancholia'.

    You might like 'Metropolis' (1927), 'Black Narcissus' (1947), 'Hiroshima, mon amour' (1959), 'Last Year at Marienbad' (1961), 'Lady Snowblood' (1973), 'Heart of Glass' (1976), 'Eraserhead' (1977), 'Blade Runner' (1982), 'Ran' (1985), 'Wings of Desire' (1987), 'City of God' (2002), 'Tideland' (2005), 'Apocalypto' (2006), 'Slumdog Millionaire' (2008), 'Enter the Void' (2009), 'Black Swan' (2010), 'Drive' (2011) and many others I am too bored to find now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That one actually came to mind. The whole thing is rather dreamy in tone and approach, especially how it cuts to flashbacks and then back to reality, it all kind of blends together and just becomes more and more surreal feeling. It all ends up feeling like "mental space."
    I think Tarkovsky is not Se-heavy enough for Marm, the same with Godard.

  2. #12
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Malick: the Tree of Life, the New World
    Lynch: Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Twin Peaks
    Godfrey Reggio: Koyaanisqatsi, Naqoyqatsi, Powaqqatsi
    Fritz Lang: Metropolis
    Wachowski brothers: Cloud Atlas
    Béla Tarr: the Turin Horse (beatiful, long, repetitive, boring)

  3. #13
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Yes, I forgot Blue Velvet, that's a good one.

    Also agree with the inclusion of some of Von Trier's more recent work (that Nico mentioned). Melancholia seemed a little more "regularly accessible" because of the vast amount of dialogue compared to Antichrist, which is much more about the imagery. I consider Antichrist to be one of the most visually beautiful and yet unsettling movies I have seen -- he seemed to be playing off the twisted nature of the relationship and the opening tragedy by juxtaposing it with such beautiful and provocative visuals and slomo. I have never had slomo creep me out so badly before.

    (And now I'm recalling the drug trips in both Dredd and Requiem for a Dream -- they were each handled differently but kind of amazing to watch).

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I think Tarkovsky is not Se-heavy enough for Marm, the same with Godard.
    Well, I (and the other poster) were talking about the Soderbergh version (which focuses more on the relationship between the protagonist and his love). I haven't seen the Tarkovsky one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Andrei Tarkovsky's adaptation of Solaris is unabashedly 'atmospheric', but it is also one of the slowest movies I've ever seen. It's almost three hours long; it feels like four. I admire it for the skill with which it was made but on the whole I thought it was horrendously boring. A story needs to be properly paced to be properly appreciated.



    In my opinion one of the best atmospheric films of recent memory is Drive. I loved, I thought it was fantastic. I was sucked in in the opening pre-credits sequence. It's a chase, but not really a chase; it's cat-and-mouse. There is very little dialogue, just the sound of the car's engine (an unassuming Chevy Impala), the sound of the police sirens and helicopter, and the sound of the police band radio and the basketball game. It's not really clear why he's listening to the Clippers game until the very end of the chase, when you realize this was all part of a greater plan to escape the police. The camera is low--almost everything is shot from below--and most of it is from inside the car.

    As he makes his quiet getaway on foot the credits begin, exchanging the low camera for overhead views of the city. This is how the driver sees the world, and himself as a sort of '80s action hero.

    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0eb_1339123065

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpXQS5gaAw

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I agree that a lot of Kubrick and Lynch films qualify, and to the person who said Winters Bone is mainstream....that doesn't matter. That film is amazing and captures mountain people perfectly. Though it is set in the Ozarks it actually reminds me of some parts of West Virginia.

    Cold Mountain is another one. So is Kieslowskis Trois Colours trilogy.

    I will respond more to individual posts later.

  6. #16
    Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You might like Ron Fricke's work, such as 'Koyaanisqatsi, 'Chronos', 'Baraka' and 'Samsara'.

    You might like Lars von Trier's films, such as 'Antichrist' and 'Melancholia'.

    You might like 'Metropolis' (1927), 'Black Narcissus' (1947), 'Hiroshima, mon amour' (1959), 'Last Year at Marienbad' (1961), 'Lady Snowblood' (1973), 'Heart of Glass' (1976), 'Eraserhead' (1977), 'Blade Runner' (1982), 'Ran' (1985), 'Wings of Desire' (1987), 'City of God' (2002), 'Tideland' (2005), 'Apocalypto' (2006), 'Slumdog Millionaire' (2008), 'Enter the Void' (2009), 'Black Swan' (2010), 'Drive' (2011) and many others I am too bored to find now.
    I just found this thread and was about to submit the bolded ones above for consideration. Particularly Melancholia, Black Swan, and Drive - all three on my shelf and heavily played. Some of my favorites!

    I've watched Antichrist several times and it's still less relatable for me than the unconscious feeling and themes of Melancholia, which is definitely my favorite of the two. I think the former tends to be a little more microcosmic, and the latter a bit more big-picture, if that makes any sense at all.

    Anyway. Visual feasts, all of 'em.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

    ~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~

  7. #17
    You have a choice! 21%'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford[/I]
    Yes yes yes!

    I love lots of stuff in Wong Kar Wai films as well...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

  8. #18
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I agree that a lot of Kubrick and Lynch films qualify, and to the person who said Winters Bone is mainstream....that doesn't matter. That film is amazing and captures mountain people perfectly. Though it is set in the Ozarks it actually reminds me of some parts of West Virginia.

    Cold Mountain is another one. So is Kieslowskis Trois Colours trilogy.

    I will respond more to individual posts later.
    I love Cold Mountain, have watched it several times. Just now pulled up Winters Bone, and you're right.

  9. #19
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    [...]and to the person who said Winters Bone is mainstream....that doesn't matter. That film is amazing and captures mountain people perfectly. Though it is set in the Ozarks it actually reminds me of some parts of West Virginia.

    Cold Mountain is another one. So is Kieslowskis Trois Colours trilogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I love Cold Mountain, have watched it several times. Just now pulled up Winters Bone, and you're right.
    I categorized "Winter's Bone" as being more mainstream because:

    1) I like this movie, and I usually don’t like movies with a lot of atmospherics; the atmospherics tend to get in the way for me.

    2) I was afraid a later commentator might discount the indie credentials of the film based on the fact that it has Jennifer Lawrence in the starring role.

    Whatever. But yeah, in any case it’s a very good film. I know the area where it was filmed (down around Branson, Missouri), and it does well capturing the mood of the Ozarks hill country and people. It’s also a good “strong female” story that’s not sentimental or unrealistic.

  10. #20
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiheroComplex View Post
    I just found this thread and was about to submit the bolded ones above for consideration. Particularly Melancholia, Black Swan, and Drive - all three on my shelf and heavily played. Some of my favorites!

    I've watched Antichrist several times and it's still less relatable for me than the unconscious feeling and themes of Melancholia, which is definitely my favorite of the two. I think the former tends to be a little more microcosmic, and the latter a bit more big-picture, if that makes any sense at all.

    Anyway. Visual feasts, all of 'em.
    I was obsessed with Black Swan for at least two months, and I also enjoyed Melacholia and Drive.

    I have actually seen many on Nicos list. Lady Snowblood is actually one of my ex's favorite movies and I remember Opera vividly though it's been seven or eight years since I saw it.

    City of God is excellent.

    And yes Argentos more recent films are mostly crap. I saw one from the eighties with Jennifer Connelly in it. Horrible.

    The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things is one of those films but it's hellishly disturbing. Asia Argento, his daughter, made that one.

Similar Threads

  1. Rape in the Congo - HBO documentary film
    By Griffi97 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
  2. Elmo: Restaurant Mascot or Insipid Muppet? Film at 11
    By EffEmDoubleyou in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 06:31 PM
  3. Independant Film Channel
    By kuranes in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
  4. Type as many characters as possible in this film
    By MerkW in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO