• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Return of the Batman...

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Ryan Gosling, Max Martini, Gerald Butler, Joe Manganiello and Richard Armitage are on WB's shortlist for the new Batman with Josh Brolin as the rumored frontrunner.

Snyder reportedly wants an older, grizzled and experienced Dark Knight for the Superman vs. Batman project (as the casting list denotes).

Online, fans are unianimously behind such actors such as: Anson Mount, Jensen Ackles, Michael Fassbender, Jon Hamm and especially Karl Urban.

So...what working actor would you choose to don the cowl for the Batman/Superman throwdown? I would choose Benedict Cumberbatch or Thomas Jane, personally. Batman needs an iconic, gravelly voice, world-weariness and powerful screen presence which either actor would provide in spades.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Karl Urban as Batman is actually a pretty good idea.

That being said, I do not have any interest in Batman in any film at this point. Christopher Nolan's adaption will probably not be rivaled, and in this specific case I've always found Batman and Superman cross-overs stupid. These people are in thematically different universes. They don't mix well. It will be hokey.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
They are contrasting figures, yes. But to me, that is what makes a crossover intriguing. Especially considering they will initially be enemies. In my eyes, Batman belongs in the Man of Steel universe, absolutely. It is a different version of conflict (idealogy vs. idealism rather than good/evil) for the protagonist to face in a superhero picture. I like that. The formula is beyond stale.

Karl Urban would be a great choice, btw

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They should've gone with my idea and go ahead with Batman Beyond, reviving the Burton continuity and having Michael Keaton play Old Bruce Wayne, perhaps having a prologue sequence with a digitally de-aged Keaton retiring as Batman and so forth, perhaps maybe even a cameo by a CG Michael Gough playing Alfred.

And Zack Snyder should be banned from ever touching a camera again. (What was wrong with Superman Returns anyway?)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you want old and grizzled Batman, then get old and grizzled.
Most of these guys are too much pretty to be William Wallace the Batman.

Honestly, I don't have much interest in it.
And especially not in the thought of Michael Keaton.

(What was wrong with Superman Returns anyway?)

I saw the last 45 minutes of it two weeks ago, and it was BORING AS HELL.
I mean, I didn't give a crap and just wanted it to end.
There was no emotional engagement to what was happening on the screen at all.
I don't know how it could have been even more flat and uninteresting.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No above all batman should be hot. I liked Christian Bale best. I could hang with Ryan Gosling.

Batman is the only superhero I can stand. Batman Begins made me cry. I also had a Batman watch when I was about twelve.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Having never been a fan of the novels why would Superman need Batman I always wondered.

How?

Superman respects Bats for his unyielding ferocity and cunning, even referring to him as the most dangerous man alive. With all that unchecked power, Supes knows that the only one capable of bringing him down is Bats should the situation arise. Plus opposites attract.

Another reason I nominate Cumberbatch is for his work in Sherlock and Star Trek. In both, he displays the range necessary to play the Dark Knight. In Sherlock he was eccentric, brilliant, deductive and sardonic. In Star Trek he was cold, calculating, enigmatic, brutal and most importantly, dangerous

That is Batman.

baccheion

It's stupid. Batman is no match for Superman. Period. Boring or unrealistic movie ahead. What's the Bat going to do, pull a Lex Luthor and get some Kryptonite? Please.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's stupid. Batman is no match for Superman. Period. Boring or unrealistic movie ahead. What's the Bat going to do, pull a Lex Luthor and get some Kryptonite? Please.

Didn't you ever read "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller? It was written in oh say 1985 and marked a shift in the tone of comics and is probably what this movie is being based on, to some degree or another.

The comic itself set up some good reasons why Superman was also restraining himself and Bats wasn't. I thought it was a neat limited-issue series that gave a good view of how they viewed each other, as well as how they viewed themselves -- you actually get a sense of where Supes is coming from, even if Bats thinks he's just an "overgrown/overpowered Boy Scout."

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Didn't you ever read "The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller? It was written in oh say 1985 and marked a shift in the tone of comics and is probably what this movie is being based on, to some degree or another.

You are correct.

Snyder has also met with Miller to discuss how he should approach the character.

Lark

My favourite actor in the Batman role was always Michael Keaton actually. Although it could have been as much to do with Tim Burton's aesthetic.

Lark

There's actually entire genres of books, comics and fan discussions dedicated to this so it is not such a boring premise.

There's the whole Dark Knight Detective angle in which he discovers Superman/Clark Kent's identity, the whole Bruce Wayne having incredible resources/resources which are ahead of any world government or all world governments combined, sort of hinted at in a number of the recent films with the sonar device in Dark Knight and other IT based things in Dark Knight Rises, ie the key card which can wipe all records of you per se. Plus the more recent Son of Krypton movie had Superman as a more vulnerable character, effected by Kryptonian pollution, changes in the environment and not simply kryptonite.

I'm unsure its a versus match movie that is being planned, is it? Or rather a team up or first meeting idea, it would be no more versus match than The Avengers was versus match and it did have aspects of that.

Lark

The comic itself set up some good reasons why Superman was also restraining himself and Bats wasn't. I thought it was a neat limited-issue series that gave a good view of how they viewed each other, as well as how they viewed themselves -- you actually get a sense of where Supes is coming from, even if Bats thinks he's just an "overgrown/overpowered Boy Scout."

In Neil Gaimen's imagined "last comic" of Batman at which his arch enemies and allies assemble to witness the wake of a dead Batman Superman is featured as the most critical of Batman among all assembled there, contrasting a kind of purer than the driven snow ethic with Batman's although to be honest, a lot of the time Batman himself has a purer than driven snow ethic in contrast with others, for instance Frank Castle/The Punisher, and they have faced off against one another in a couple of comics, which were pretty good too.

Also in the Aliens vs. Predator Batman-Superman comics there is some interesting contrasts of what response both superheroes have to the aliens, Superman deciding that they all have a right to exist, feeling a bit of an alien himself, although it all being pretty easy for him because he is impervious to anything either of the alien species can do (this was different in another Superman vs the predator comic in which something from one of the predator ships disables or at least severely curtails Superman's powers), whereas Batman believes that there can be nothing at all gained by not simply wiping them out altogether, each being akin to some kind of WMD.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fuck this shit.

I want Superman vs. Aquaman. Superman doesn't have GILLS dammit, does he. I also think commanding the beasts of an ocean is actually a pretty awesome power.... it's just that it only works in the ocean. But if you don't have GILLS it might be an even fight.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fuck this shit.

I want Superman vs. Aquaman. Superman doesn't have GILLS dammit, does he. I also think commanding the beasts of an ocean is actually a pretty awesome power.... it's just that it only works in the ocean. But if you don't have GILLS it might be an even fight.

Aquaman's intro into The New 52 JL was pretty awesome.

tumblr_lzp28m3fSZ1qivcpi.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Aquaman's intro into The New 52 JL was pretty awesome.

tumblr_lzp28m3fSZ1qivcpi.jpg

Yeah, fuck this shit. Superman can't beat a fucking shark.... if Batman won't give him his shark repellent, he's SOL.

Green Lantern and Batman both seem like they're trying to not be upset now that they're useless.