User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Elysium

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Default Elysium

Just got back from the midnight show.

Really is just a big budget remake of District 9 but without prawns and higher profile actors.

Not bad, but was expecting more.

Funny thing: I actively went out of my way to avoid spoilers and plot details...just to have it ruined 5 mins before the movie started with a pre-movie featurette. The audience was groaning when it ended.

Stop it Hollywood. Just stop.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh no. I hated District 9. To me, it was one of those movies that tricked people into thinking it was clever and original, like The Matrix, except with District 9, it's easier to find out that it isn't original, because it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. It was basically a hipster's wet dream. I'm seeing Elysium tonight.

I would've saw Percy Jackson 2 but then I remembered that I didn't really like Percy Jackson 1. It was basically Chris Columbus' cash-in after completing the first two Harry Potter movies. Though to be fair, he directed the two best Potter flicks in the franchise.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Funny thing: I actively went out of my way to avoid spoilers and plot details...just to have it ruined 5 mins before the movie started with a pre-movie featurette. The audience was groaning when it ended.

Stop it Hollywood. Just stop.
    Yeah, I'm sick of all the spoiler stuff that gets dumped. The media is just too 24/7 and always feels the need to make noise. Can't they just stfu? I miss the days when I didn't know the entire plot of a movie before heading to the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I would've saw Percy Jackson 2 but then I remembered that I didn't really like Percy Jackson 1. It was basically Chris Columbus' cash-in after completing the first two Harry Potter movies. Though to be fair, he directed the two best Potter flicks in the franchise.
    That's a pretty bold statement. Although I'm sure we can agree on which ones were the total dogs.

I saw PJ1. It was okay.
    Which means it wasn't in "Ghost Rider" or "Fantastic Four" category, but it wasn't worth remembering much about. (And I don't, at this point.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

So basically....

Rich people are EVIL THE MOVIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    So basically....

Uh, well my understanding is that the movie is about a huge uncrossable chasm between rich and poor which is evil or at least against common American sentiment,
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Ginkgo

I loved District 9 and decided to see it in part because production the Halo live action movie was dropped for its production.

I'd believe Elysium doesn't consist of very much new material so my enthusiasm's abated.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I loved District 9 and decided to see it in part because production the Halo live action movie was dropped for its production.

I'd believe Elysium doesn't consist of very much new material so my enthusiasm's abated.
    Glad I'm going for free / discount.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I heard Jodie Foster gives and inexplicably bad performance.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

^Yes. It was, in all possibility, the worst performance in motion picture history. My jaw was on the floor.

Luckily, Sharlito Copley counters this as the best villain of the year so far. Other than the shocking gore factor, he is the best thing about Elysium.

Speaking of which: If Blomkamp DOES make the Halo movie after all, it needs to be R. I pray he never makes a PG-13 film. Like District 9, Elysium is ultraviolent--and rightly so.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    So basically....

Heh. The movie isn't subtle about it, thats for sure.