User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 112

Thread: Elysium

  1. #81
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's not that simple unfortunately.

    Basically, even with the best legal system, when you're born poor, chances are you will stay poor your entire life.
    There are lots of other factors involved, and most of them aren't that "local": We live in a global system. The way rich countries interact with poor countries also matters a lot.
    Sure, there are plenty of other complications, but my point is this is the most fundemental problem. Besides being poor in the west is NOT the same as being poor in a developing country. Even so a legal system won't get rid of poverty completely, but it goes a long way in explaining the difference between the richest countries and the poorest. If the poor don't have access to capital and can't leverage their assets they will stay poor no matter what. Even with little in assets the exponential growth possible through leverage can be astounding. This is especially true because in many places like africa and south america many of the poor are actually entrepreneurs. Economist Hernando DeSoto did a decade of research on the differences between the first world and the third and his conclusion was that property law was the key difference. I'm not discounting that market manipulation and worker exploitation also have a dramatic effect on the poor.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #82
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Sure, there are plenty of other complications, but my point is this is the most fundemental problem. Besides being poor in the west is NOT the same as being poor in a developing country. Even so a legal system won't get rid of poverty completely, but it goes a long way in explaining the difference between the richest countries and the poorest. If the poor don't have access to capital and can't leverage their assets they will stay poor no matter what. Even with little in assets the exponential growth possible through leverage can be astounding. This is especially true because in many places like africa and south america many of the poor are actually entrepreneurs. Economist Hernando DeSoto did a decade of research on the differences between the first world and the third and his conclusion was that property law was the key difference. I'm not discounting that market manipulation and worker exploitation also have a dramatic effect on the poor.
    I was rather refering to globalization.

    For instance, a country like the US is a predator. It sucks ressources everywhere it can to maintain a crazy, insane way of living. But it can continue to do so only if you have millions of slaves working hard in third world and emerging countries.

    And the corollary of this is that if, for instance, Brazil is currently destroying its rainforest, it's not only because of its legal system.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  3. #83
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    That's what I said: we do not belong to the same world.

    Reaching a status similar to mine is almost impossible without a good network, a good family, and very good studies. But you can still dream if you want.
    lol. And your "status" is?

    Either way you seem to be very much a believer in determinism.

  4. #84
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    lol. And your "status" is?
    Guess.

    I was born and raised in an upper class family of the French intellectual bourgeoisie. Should you want to buy the flat where I live, it would cost you more than 15000 $US per square meter.

    But I do not feel superior to you in any way. I just was very lucky.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  5. #85
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I was rather refering to globalization.

    For instance, a country like the US is a predator. It sucks ressources everywhere it can to maintain a crazy, insane way of living. But it can continue to do so this only if you have millions of slaves working hard in third world and emerging countries.

    And the corollary of this is that if, for instance, Brazil is currently destroying its rainforest, it's not only because of its legal system.
    We're just emphasizing different things.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  6. #86
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Guess.
    broke

  7. #87
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Guess.

    I was born and raised in an upper class family of the French intellectual bourgeoisie. Should you want to buy the flat where I live, it would cost you more than 15000 $US per square meter.

    But I do not feel by any means superior to you.
    That's fantastic. Good for you.

    I graduated the US naval Academy, then never used my network. I moved to colorado and spent 2 years building a new network from scratch making 18,000 a year. I met 2 ENFJ's who competed in ninja warrior and used my life savings to start this gym after befriending them.

    Even if it doesn't work I'm going to have at least 6 months of CEO experience as a 25 year old on my resume. I'm fairly confident in my ability to accomplish my goal of getting what I want. Once I get a decent paycheck I'll get a small empire in real estate. Despite all of this I run 3 businesses I can fall back on at any time which are expanding rapidly as I have 1500 youtube subscribers and a growing life coach clientele base. They don't call ESTP's "the doers" for nothing.

  8. #88
    Senior Member Evil Otter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Just one question:

    Have you ever been to Germany or to Sweden?
    Germany yes, Sweden no. I've also been to Romania, Bulgaria, and lived in Argentina (a very socialist country).

    Have you been to at least all 48 consecutive states?

  9. #89
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Germany yes, Sweden no. I've also been to Romania, Bulgaria, and lived in Argentina (a very socialist country).
    Then... do you consider that the Germans are poorer than the Americans, on average?

    Have you been to at least all 48 consecutive states?
    I've already worked as an expatriate on four different continents.

    When you're an university lecturer specialized on urban health and urban ecology, believe me, you travel a lot.
    That's also probably why I think I know what living in the slums of a poor third world country really means...

    The paradox is that most of their inhabitants are enjoying the dream of living under a true libertarian system, if you understand what I mean. There are no state, no regulations, and almost no police within a slum. Everybody has to rely on its own ressources to survive: it's a kind of human jungle.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  10. #90
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    I once met a businessman who felt it was necessary to tell me I have no experience in business, and I should get a business degree like him, because he's a business professor and his net worth is 39087151-23098 dollars.

    I told him, "your rental space is too expensive. sorry I'm not interested." And then I told him to get back to me when he wants to invest in my gym.

    lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO