Thread: Elysium

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Yeah, you think you can ride roughshod over anyone to maximize your personal prosperity? Why don't you go out to the real world and see if you really have what it takes to be rich, you just might not be callous, ruthless, single-minded and egocentric enough to play with the big boys.
    Hey, if he doesn't want to take sensible advice, he doesn't have to.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Hey, if he doesn't want to take sensible advice, he doesn't have to.
    Especially when the rest of us are so entertained by it!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

To me, Jodie Foster didn't qualify for top billing. Her character struck me as being played by a washed out actress who isn't really trying and belongs in the "and" credits or in a Robert Rodriguez movie.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    What doesn't work very well and what power structure?
    Money often translates to power; people make money by owning businesses (used in a loose sense) and having assets. These businesses, their support systems, associated assets, and what has been established to keep the businesses going are essentially the power structure. People with money have more power than politicians because they can influence the decisions of the politicians. They control the media, so they influence the decisions of common folk. It only goes the other way around so far. Basically people with large amounts of money don't easily want to give it up. If you are going to be one of those people you will have to have something to sell which people want to buy, and which fits into the current market. Until then, sympathizing with them isn't going to change your status. If you never become one of them, you have just supported the fact that they have what you are never going to, and the system that supports it. You're gambling and taking a big risk.

Suppose instead of money, these statistics (if true) were changed to power: the top one percent has 80% of the power in this country and the bottom 80% has 7% of the power. Would you call that a democracy? Since money/wealth and power are largely correlated, by supporting the current status quo you are effectively saying you are anti-democracy and pro-plutocracy/oligarchy/aristocracy. You are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't benefit you currently unless you have a concrete plan and realistic prospects for getting into the ruling class. Do you?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Yeah, you think you can ride roughshod over anyone to maximize your personal prosperity? Why don't you go out to the real world and see if you really have what it takes to be rich, you just might not be callous, ruthless, single-minded and egocentric enough to play with the big boys.
    have we met?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I like how I'm being talked down to for aspiring to have more money than most people.

Ya'll can suck my dick.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Well, to my mind is a person's attempt to speak one language while having been born and raised with the phonetics of a different one, so those sounds/phonetics are being used as substitutes for the real ones they cannot emulate. So there should be some consistency there. It wasn't as bad as Planet Earth (which was pretty dreadful), but it definitely seemed like sometimes her accent would be heavy on some words, then on the same sounds in other words it was not. It also felt very forced.

That of course is being said as an observer and someone who can't speak another language anyway.
    Well, actually Jodie Foster is not only fluent in French, she speaks a perfect French, like a native, without even the slightest trace of foreign accent.

So her accent is not forced.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Expressed in such an extreme cliche fashion... yes. Normally it's veiled in layers of nuance, if it exists.

The movie didn't take a lot of thought to write.
    Unfortunately, it's not a cliche.

The real world is even worst than that, and I've witnessed similar scenes countless times in Asia or Africa, in countries or situations where indeed, you have no middle class. The ruling class is most of the time totally impervious to any human feeling, and they rule with an iron fist.
    This movie is disappointing somehow because this is isn't science fiction, and yet, it's not realistic enough (especially because you have a good ending and tons of fluffy feelings). This kind of segregation is already happening everywhere, and the Western world is Elysium. We live in a surreal bubble of prosperity and most of the American audience doesn't seem to be really aware of it, or of the huge price the rest of mankind pays to maintain the so-called "American way of life". We are aristocrats and dilletantes, compared to what happens everywhere else.

In 2013, the majority of mankind already lives in slums, and many of them are considerably worst than the one pictured in Mexico City.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well, actually Jodie Foster is not only fluent in French, she speaks a perfect French, like a native, without even the slightest trace of foreign accent.

So her accent is not forced.
    Then why did it sound so stilted and inconsistent?

We're not talking about her ability to speak French, we're talking about her ability to speak English with a French accent, which is not the same thing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I'm an aspiring rich person. I am taking their side, because I aspire to be there some day.
    Have you ever studied in Harvard, Berkeley, Yale or Princeton?

I think it's time to realize that it's almost impossible to reach the world where I live for ordinary guys like you. Be realistic, and guess why.
    We simply do not share the same cultural capital.

7w8 SCUxI