Thread: Elysium

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    How does that work?
    I'm an aspiring rich person. I am taking their side, because I aspire to be there some day.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Otherwise I wasn't pleased with the ending. As far as I can tell, everyone on earth becomes a citizen of elysium, flies up to elysium, stinks it up with their filth until it becomes another crappy earth.
    yeah, that part was kinda dumb. They won a momentary victory, but how long will that last? And those resources won't extend indefinitely. Money talks. The rich will just build a new space station somewhere else and abandon the old.

I also consider myself part of "the 1%," even though I am broke and have no money. So this movie was kind of insulting to me. I felt like it was pandering to a larger audience.
    What, the "mob throwing food and prepping to storm the Bastille" audience?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm an aspiring rich person. I am taking their side, because I aspire to be there some day.
    If this is criteria for the 1%, it's probably more like 30% or 40%. It's not that unusual of a sentiment.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What, the "mob throwing food and prepping to storm the Bastille" audience?
    The occupy wallstreet audience.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Well... which is the better Jodie Foster movie, this, or the Beaver?
    She at least directed as well as acted in that movie, so you could easily say she put more effort into it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Dear God. Did someone drag "The Beaver" with Crazy Mel into this discussion now?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Dear God. Did someone drag "The Beaver" with Crazy Mel into this discussion now?
    Why not?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Well I liked it a lot. I saw no problems with it. There aren't really that many new ideas anyway; you can't judge a movie solely on that. And I thought the take on it they had was pretty original; but maybe that's because I haven't seen too many sci-fi movies. I guess I'm the kind of audience they were catering to.

I wasn't thinking everyone on Earth would go up to the space station, because obviously not everyone would fit; I was thinking they would get healed by the medical technology, visit, some would be able to stay, and with infinite health and more sharing of resources they would be able to improve conditions on Earth. The Earth wouldn't be like it was if it wasn't for the vastly unequal distribution of resources and wealth. So I wasn't thinking "everyone lives happily ever after on Elysium," I was thinking it was a victory that everyone would get healed and things would start to get better.

And so what if rich people are portrayed as being evil? That's a big step in the media. That viewpoint has been suppressed for a long time.
    That doesn't work very well and perpetuates the power structure.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    That doesn't work very well and perpetuates the power structure.
    He thinks that doesn't matter because he'll be at the top. In reality, he may become upper middle class, but he will not be wealthy on the level the Koch Brothers are wealthy. They probably already had far more money at his age than he does now.

Visit my Johari:

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

The part I didn't understand: (spoiler alert)