• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP musicians?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyone here familiar with the film composer John Barry?

I'm curious what his type may have been. It's difficult for me to learn more about him because he was a very private man who gave few interviews in his lifetime.

It's obvious he was an Introvert.

Intuitive or Sensing? Judging by his music, which could be extremely emotional and "sensitive", I assume he was more of a Feeler

so I've gotten as far as IxFx.

ISFP, perhaps? that or INFP/J

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Zach Condon of Beirut?

Thom Yorke?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
after watching this interview i think also Lhasa is an INFP (especially the moment she explains why she releases albums so rarely - the importance of integrity in her musical choices)

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
okay is ben harper really an infp? what does everyone think?

a friend of mine (who's an INFJ or ENFJ) talked to him after a concert and told me he was so humble about his performance at the concert and in general during the whole conversation that she thought he was either a loony or insincere. either way, she didn't find him sincere at all. And I kinda can see what she means when i listen to his music. I like it, but i don't identify with it.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Scott Walker?

I dont know, but that reminded me of Scott Matthew!? I'm starting to think I've dug myself a hole by creating this thread, because the act of expression through music might be more related to the enneagram than mbti. And so I find myself thinking about musicians that are probably enneagram 4, but not necessarily INFPs.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a friend of mine (who's an INFJ or ENFJ) talked to him after a concert and told me he was so humble about his performance at the concert and in general during the whole conversation that she thought he was either a loony or insincere. either way, she didn't find him sincere at all. And I kinda can see what she means when i listen to his music. I like it, but i don't identify with it.

yeah i never thought of him as an infp. i thought he was an esfj...but on further reflection realized that's just because a former member who was often right said he was...but i never really tried to type him myself.

i actually love him to death...but still don't think he's an nfp.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suspect Scott Walker is an INFP for several reasons.

He is incredibly shy and rarely gives interviews.

He is sensitive to criticism, although he doesn't let it affect him as much as he did in his younger years.

If you look at the history of his early solo albums, after Scott 4 (his best album, in my opinion) and Til The Band Comes In (meh) both flopped, he took it pretty hard and his creative side basically retreated. He recorded a string of uninspired albums that featured no original compositions, and it would be eight years until he recorded original songs again (Nite Flights, '78). That inability to cope with critics' and public's rejection of his art just screams INFP to me. I can totally relate. An ISFP (Bowie, for example) would've put any failure behind him and quickly moved on to his next project. An INFJ would not have taken the criticism as hard.

INFPs can also be notorious perfectionists. That could explain the massive amount of time between his last several albums (if you don't count musical scores and the occasional song appearing on a soundtrack): 11 years between Climate of Hunter and Tilt, another 11 years between Tilt and the Drift, and 7 years between The Drift and Bish Bosch.

Also, something about his lyrics seems very INFP-ish to me. There's a real childlike naivete, especially on his first four albums. At the same time, his lyrics can seem so wise and world-weary, like the musings of an idealistic bard.

He's probably also a type 4 enneagram.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=19700]Lyedecker[/MENTION] if so, then his lyrics and music in general...don't really express INFP like concerns...or rather....his music seems a bit impersonal....don't you think? it's so....i mean the recent stuff...heavy and almost creepy...it's completely different from what someone like, say, elliot smith, would do. he's definitely an interesting character, that's for sure.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think his early songs do. Both the originals and the covers. They tend to be love songs and/or character sketches/observations. Songs like Plastic Palace People are pretty fantastical, suggesting a rich inner mind. (not to say other types don't have rich inner minds, it's just that us INFPs can be pretty stuck in our own little fantasies A LOT)

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] Sorry, I don't always read stuff in order :doh: .

I think Liz Fraser of Cocteau Twins is ISFP, based on some interviews, but certainly Fi-dom.

Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star - INFP or ISFP?

she's wayyy too dreamy to be ISFP

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Someone is confusing INFPs with ISFJs. :thelook:

I've yet to know one INFP who complains of anything being too depressing, e9s included.

Me? I LIVE for sadness. It's pretty sick actually. :wack:

--------

IDK who all has been mentioned in here yet, but a few musicians I think are INFP:

Robert Smith (The Cure)
Fiona Apple
Cat Power
Ian Curtis (Joy Division)
William Reid (Jesus & Mary Chain)
Paul Banks (Interpol)

I think Marc Bolan (T-Rex) could've been INFP also. He wrote poetry, was scared to drive, was sort of wacky but had a sensitive vibe... seems quite INFP.

EDIT: e4 musicians tend to seem INFP to me because I find them highly relatable, such as Billy Corgan, but I too suspect he is likely INFJ. The lyrics just scream Fi to me, but it may just be the e4 perspective.

i've heard people type ian curtis as a VERY depressed INTJ because he seemed hellbent on creating this singular vision of how to live through his music

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13377]pinkgraffiti[/MENTION] Sorry, I don't always read stuff in order :doh: .

I think Liz Fraser of Cocteau Twins is ISFP, based on some interviews, but certainly Fi-dom.

Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star - INFP or ISFP?

hope sandoval of mazzy star is DEFINITELY an INFP... if you watch an interview with her she's just incredibly spacey. not present at all. the music seems very obviously like INFP music to me... it's so ethereal and dreamy and sad.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Modest Mouse is not "real art"? Compared to what? Fucking Maroon 5?

I mean, art seems really hard to find and appears to have been a bugaboo of philosophers for centuries. I mean, apparently, in the right context, a urinal is art.

You don't have to like MM, but they create art, if you're calling music an art, which you seem to be.

Brock might not use evocative Fi language like John Darnielle (whom I also love and want to marry in a totally heterosexual same-sex marriage, of course) but his lyrics are pretty damn good, I think.

It's less pretty than Fi songwriting, to be sure, but it cuts to the truth of something. At the risk of sounding dopey, I feel as though I get what he's singing about, and I love the unique way it's phrased and his odd lispy voice with some kind of a West Coast accent underneath. It's perfect to listen to with autumn coming on.

(I just hope, if MM ever makes another band, they go back to the basics and get rid of that dude from Morrisey's band.... it doesn't fit that well with his sound. It just creates too much noise )

Ok, bringing things on topic here... Wesley Schultz from the Lumineers writes songs like an INFP. I don't know much about him to bring any more to the table than that. But, what could be more wonderfully Fi than this? Of course, I always read an ambiguity into these kinds of songs that the writers don't usually seem to intend.

I also think Marisa Nadler might be an INFP. I need to buy one of her albums, because she's amazing and should be better known.

Oh, and my INFP reading is off the charts with Jeff Magnum. Poetic lyrics combined with an almost Cobain-like inability to handle fame. He basically disappeared for 10 years after the released of this album.

i always assumed isaac brock was an INFP!

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
also, kate bush!!! i realllyyy do not understand the people who type her as ISFP... she's too dreamy. ISFP music has a much less whimsical flavor