• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP musicians?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I looked up an actual link to a thing he wrote on some board, and his way of communicating seems pretty damn NT to me. He's an INTJ. INTJs tend to be a little more "creative" than INTPs, in my experience. Not because INTPs can't be original, but because we have a hard time pouring all of our energy into one specific thing.

He's also really comfortable with the "dark side".

And, INTP musicians exist.

Here's one from when he was less famous.

I'm sure to most people, he seems really bizarre, but honestly, to me, his behavior makes perfect sense. The mannerisms, the seeming distractedness, the way of speaking... this is probably how I come off in person. Notice how he's always pointing out some weird detail off in the distance or from his memory and commenting on it... that suggests Ne, not Se. It's too dreamy and absent-minded to be Se. Really, he's basically a big dork underneath it all, plain as day.

As for the mountains of evidence suggesting Morrisey as an ESTJ, you can find them at the Mid-Atlantic ridge. If you want proof, sometimes you gotta dig deep with a submersible and literally go underwater.

Finally, while I appreciate people posting links to other threads, I don't think trying to minimize the creation of new threads, or stunt them, is good for forum health.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
And, INTP musicians exist.

Yeah but they can't really be considered as artists. Most INTPs who express theiselves through music use it as a medium to get people to hear their message, they are not doing it for the music alone.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Florence Welch from Florence + The Machine is probably INFP or at least ENFP.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah but they can't really be considered as artists. Most INTPs who express theiselves through music use it as a medium to get people to hear their message, they are not doing it for the music alone.

Modest Mouse is not "real art"? Compared to what? Fucking Maroon 5?

I mean, art seems really hard to find and appears to have been a bugaboo of philosophers for centuries. I mean, apparently, in the right context, a urinal is art.

You don't have to like MM, but they create art, if you're calling music an art, which you seem to be.

Brock might not use evocative Fi language like John Darnielle (whom I also love and want to marry in a totally heterosexual same-sex marriage, of course) but his lyrics are pretty damn good, I think.

"So pleased with ourselves for using so many verbs and nouns, but we were all still just dumb dumb dumber than the dirt dirt dirt on the ground."

It's less pretty than Fi songwriting, to be sure, but it cuts to the truth of something. At the risk of sounding dopey, I feel as though I get what he's singing about, and I love the unique way it's phrased and his odd lispy voice with some kind of a West Coast accent underneath. It's perfect to listen to with autumn coming on.

(I just hope, if MM ever makes another band, they go back to the basics and get rid of that dude from Morrisey's band.... it doesn't fit that well with his sound. It just creates too much noise )

Ok, bringing things on topic here... Wesley Schultz from the Lumineers writes songs like an INFP. I don't know much about him to bring any more to the table than that. But, what could be more wonderfully Fi than this? Of course, I always read an ambiguity into these kinds of songs that the writers don't usually seem to intend.

I also think Marisa Nadler might be an INFP. I need to buy one of her albums, because she's amazing and should be better known.

Oh, and my INFP reading is off the charts with Jeff Magnum. Poetic lyrics combined with an almost Cobain-like inability to handle fame. He basically disappeared for 10 years after the released of this album.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Great tracks! Shame I didn't know the Lumineers before their no. 1 hit.

Well, I don't think there's a real definition for art but for me it is something purely emotional, the language of feelings. It can take you to fantastic worlds beyond your imagination and has nothing to do with fucking politics or sth like that. Today, everyone with a computer can create music, but it takes more than just a beat and meaningful lyrics to make art out of it.
That's why I guess most INTPs suck at it and why this field is so Fi dominated.

Btw have you ever heard of Lykke Li? A great INFJ artist from sweden.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Great tracks! Shame I didn't know the Lumineers before their no. 1 hit.

Today, everyone with a computer can create music, but it takes more than just a beat and meaningful lyrics to make art out of it.
That's why I guess most INTPs suck at it and why this field is so Fi dominated.

I guess I'm not sure if you consider Brock to be a good musician or not, but his songwriting does convey emotion to me. I'm not sure if it translates well to non-Ti doms/inferior Fe types, though.

Code:
"Back in the Metro
Ride on a Greyhound
Drunk on the Amtrack
Please shut up!

Another rider
He was a talker
Talking about TV
Please shut up!"

(I cannot explain how much I identify with this.)

"You said that you did, but you didn't understand."

"we only have one chance
 one chance
 to get everything right. 

we only have one chance 
one chance
 and if we're lucky we might. ''

Granted, they all lose something without the melodic/harmonic component.

Btw have you ever heard of Lykke Li? A great INFJ artist from sweden.

No. I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea either. I prefer a lushier, more melodic approach to a rhythmic approach. That just leaves me cold. I need the music to do some of the work of emoting.

Is the Tallest Man on Earth INFP? I could see that.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't start...

Don't be putting Morrissey in the INFJ camp until [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] has weighed in.

Oooh, I'd like to claim him but I thought he was considered INTX.

Oh well. I will lazily agree. :D

I was sold on Morrissey being INFJ for awhile... but I'm back to thinking he's most likely INFP. I think he's probably Fi-dom, but a lot more forthright with opinions than most Fi-dom. He gets misunderstood a LOT, which is trademark Fi also.

He's TEXTBOOK enneagram 4w3. I think the 3 wing gives him this Fe flavor sometimes, and he appears way less flexible than your average INFP.

In interviews, I thought he seemed more Ni than Ne, but I think it's just Ne-aux. He sort of simultaneously seems sure of what he believes & then claims to not really know anything. That contrast in security/insecurity is more Fi, especially when paired with a very consistent belief system (and he's been very consistent in his behaviors concerning his beliefs over the years), because it shows the insecurity is more in expression or finding an external form that's adequate. I find INFJs more likely to be inconsistent in their beliefs, but appear secure in them (to the point of arrogance, perhaps), so that they can be fickle in behaviors (one day vegan, the next week, not).

He's really obviously an introvert who prefers feeling & intuition, it's just a matter of his functions' orientation.
I can imagine a mini ESTJ inside him easier than a mini ESTP :D

EDIT: HILARIOUS that people actually think Morrissey is ESTJ. I think that settles inferior Te for him.

Florence Welch from Florence + The Machine is probably INFP or at least ENFP.

I think ENFP. :yes:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I'm not sure if you consider Brock to be a good musician or not, but his songwriting does convey emotion to me. I'm not sure if it translates well to non-Ti doms/inferior Fe types, though.

They're a pretty good band, IMO. I always get a sense of "frustration" as the main emotion in Ti songwriting.

Lots of ENTPs are in music...

As for INTPs:

David Byrne (Talking Heads) is very likely INTP. His blog is a great example of Ne-aux: http://journal.davidbyrne.com/

Frank Black of the Pixies is probably INTP (maybe ENTP though).

These guys have been really influential on other musicians. I think their lyrics are fantastic. I like that it's not all about love & emotion.

Is the Tallest Man on Earth INFP? I could see that.

The dude who saved the dolphin? I hope so :wubbie:
That was the best fluff news story EVER. The sheer absurdity of it MUST be connected to Ne.

E

Epiphany

Here's an awkward interview. He kinda reminds me of Marlon Brando in some way.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think ENFP. :yes:

I'll happily claim her for my fellow ENFPs then! Damn, I wish I had more to contribute to the thread though. But then again I guess leave it to an ENFP to think it a good idea to write all her music while hungover. :laugh:

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Sorry, all INFP musicians are actually INTPs. We stole them all. Kurt Cobain is a textbook INTP, as is John Lennon, Eminem, Tupac, Hank Williams, Mick Jagger and Jimi Hendrix. INTPs actually invented music.

Those are all socionics IEI's. Ni Fe.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Am I in bizarro world here?

Why does it seem like this is the only forum where my conception of INFJ is what everyone else thinks is INFP, and what I think INFP, everyone thinks INFJ?

It wasn't like this until I joined this forum. Does everyone here go by kiersey or something? Cuz in that case I'm an ENTJ.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Socionics INFps are MBTI INFjs. The J and P in socionics refers to whether the dominant function is rational or irrational.

Why would you think they are INFJs?

I'm not even going to talk about it, because everyone's understanding of introverts functions is so ass backwards I'm just going to incite a riot and insult everyone's current understanding of typology.

In short, Ni is a perception function that percieves an overall picture across a larger timespan, while Se is a very point specific perception that is timeless.

The two functions are interconnected. INFJ's are often "the muses" or "the romanticists" as socionics puts it. In my understanding, every one of the artists you mentioned check my box for INFJ musicians.

As for INTP artists, I'd look more toward people like Seven Wilson of porcupine tree.

As for INFP musicians, i'd look toward bands like "Sigur Ros."

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not even going to talk about it, because everyone's understanding of introverts functions is so ass backwards I'm just going to incite a riot and insult everyone's current understanding of typology.

In short, Ni is a perception function that percieves an overall picture across a larger timespan, while Se is a very point specific perception that is timeless.

The two functions are interconnected. INFJ's are often "the muses" or "the romanticists" as socionics puts it. In my understanding, every one of the artists you mentioned check my box for INFJ musicians.

As for INTP artists, I'd look more toward people like Seven Wilson of porcupine tree.

As for INFP musicians, i'd look toward bands like "Sigur Ros."

The speakers I have access to are shitty so I can't investigate.

I should clear up something about my list of INTP musicians. I basically just threw together some random artists who I knew were definitely not INTPs, and called them INTPs. It's basically a parody of how some INTPs people take every celebrity or character they like and make them INTPs. I know, it wasn't funny. Basically, I don't know if they're all INFPs, but I know they aren't INTPs. I'm inclined to think Jimi is an ISxP and not an intuitive at all.

The only INTP musician I know of is Isaac Brock.

Personally, I have a hard time distinguishing Ni and Fi because they both seem "out there" to me. And they are "out there" in a sincere way, not out there in the playful Ne-Ti way.

The only thing that I can determine is that I tend to find INFJs easier to understand than INFPs, or even INTJs, but I'm not sure why this is.

If you do want to destroy my understanding of typology, I'm actually open. As an extrovert, you probably have way more real life data points. I accept the challenge.