First 56789 Last

Thread: INFP musicians?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    They are? In my experience, they don't seem to like thinking about it. "that's too depressing" is something I seem to hear a lot from them... and I'm basing this on more than one INFP. You've never known an INFP to get two thirds of the way through a book, and then put it down because it's "too upsetting?" Admittedly, I find this really weird, because isn't the point of art to stir your emotions? If something makes you feel, isn't that good?
    I agree with the others, I embrace the dark stuff. In fact, I actually like depressing books or films - I like intense truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    I say we take away their INFP cards. It's one of the things I like best about my type, the almost stereotypical ability to roll around like a pig in mud in misery, melancholy and all things death and depressing. You know, before getting back to the rainbows and sunshine.
    Yeah, it doesn't sound very INFP like - maybe they were ISFPs @msg_v2?

I was going to say maybe they were INFP 9s (or 6s) but then you're one and you don't identify...

I'm not sure if he is and INFP or not, but Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins always wrote in a way I could relate to.

Probably the best Pumpkins albums came from a time period where he was married to someone who hated his music and from interviews largely seemed to be in an unhappy marriage (Gish, Siamese Dream and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness)..
    I don't think he's a INFP - I always thought he was a INFJ. He has more of that J directness and forcefulness.

There is something rather dark about him, though
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I agree with the others, I embrace the dark stuff. In fact, I actually like depressing books or films - I like intense truth.
    Then I would highly recommend Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.[/tangent]
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Then I would highly recommend Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes.[/tangent]
    yes. yes. yes.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

They are? In my experience, they don't seem to like thinking about it. "that's too depressing" is something I seem to hear a lot from them... and I'm basing this on more than one INFP. You've never known an INFP to get two thirds of the way through a book, and then put it down because it's "too upsetting?" Admittedly, I find this really weird, because isn't the point of art to stir your emotions? If something makes you feel, isn't that good?
    Someone is confusing INFPs with ISFJs.

I've yet to know one INFP who complains of anything being too depressing, e9s included.

Me? I LIVE for sadness. It's pretty sick actually.

--------

IDK who all has been mentioned in here yet, but a few musicians I think are INFP:

Robert Smith (The Cure)
    Fiona Apple
    Cat Power
    Ian Curtis (Joy Division)
    William Reid (Jesus & Mary Chain)
    Paul Banks (Interpol)

I think Marc Bolan (T-Rex) could've been INFP also. He wrote poetry, was scared to drive, was sort of wacky but had a sensitive vibe... seems quite INFP.

EDIT: e4 musicians tend to seem INFP to me because I find them highly relatable, such as Billy Corgan, but I too suspect he is likely INFJ. The lyrics just scream Fi to me, but it may just be the e4 perspective.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

My take

Smith sp/so e45 infj
    Apple so/sp e45 infp
    Power so/sp e54 intp
    Curtis sp/so e54 infp
    Reid sp/so e54 infp
    Banks and Bolan so/sp e54 infp
    Corgan sp/sx e65 enfj

I feel so silly when I do this.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    My take

Smith sp/so e45 infj
    Apple so/sp e45 infp
    Power so/sp e54 intp
    Curtis sp/so e54 infp
    Reid sp/so e54 infp
    Banks and Bolan so/sp e54 infp
    Corgan sp/sx e65 enfj
    Robert Smith is undoubtedly INFP, and prototypical at that...... how is he Ni-dom?

Banks & Bolan 5s & not 4s? They're not dry enough....

IDK about Cat Power being INTP either... dry, impersonal logic for her?

And Corgan a 6w5 & not 4w3? I can buy ENFJ for him though.

I feel so silly when I do this.
    How else should you feel?

I feel very, very important when I do this .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

I just find can't really figure out what the hell he's trying to say in interviews. NTPs... I usually get what they're doing even if I don't agree with it.

Explain what is NTP about this:

I don't know what he's talking about. the music was dead? I can't picture an NTP ever saying such a thing. Nothing about that makes any sense to me at all. It sounds like some Fi/enneagram 4 deal that I'm never going to make sense of, no matter how hard I try.

By comparison, Harrison's rambling about God actually makes perfect sense to me. He likes meditation because he directly feels something profound, spiritual, and peaceful, rather than having some priest telling him to just take his word for it. I meditate, and while I wouldn't say that's my reason for meditating, I can get why someone would say that. INFJ.

Regarding what Nintje said, all the examples I'm thinking of are women.
    He's talking about when they were around 18 and they were playing in Hamburg, with many other bands. That was a time of playing 10, 12 hours a day, a lot of sex, a lot of drugs, etc. They were all the "bad rockers"
    Then their manager grabbed them and transformed them into a pop act....dressed in suits (before they had leather jackets) and playing love songs, that were designed to reach an audience of teenage girls. In that paragraph I see frustration in Lennon about not having progressed in his proficiency because of that situation, I dont really see a worry about being authentic.

At this point, it would be interesting to think about what his ennegram might be.

I don't like him at all as a person. He left his son (Julian) and he was a violent man (he beat his first wife, Cynthia). The thing with Yoko and how he allowed himself to be that manipulated seems to me to be more related to an underdeveloped Fe in him than Fi (but maybe I'm wrong and this is unrelated to MBTI or enneagram).

He just seems like such a hypocrite, singing about love and peace and then being a negligent father and an abusive husband...at least McCartney was singing about love things and being the fun-loving guy, no hypocrisy there. I'd like to think that an Fi user would be more concerned about consistency in values and behavior. But maybe it's unrelated to type

Do you know his enneagram type?

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    He's talking about when they were around 18 and they were playing in Hamburg, with many other bands. That was a time of playing 10, 12 hours a day, a lot of sex, a lot of drugs, etc. They were all the "bad rockers"
    Then their manager grabbed them and transformed them into a pop act....dressed in suits (before they had leather jackets) and playing love songs, that were designed to reach an audience of teenage girls. In that paragraph I see frustration in Lennon about not having progressed in his proficiency because of that situation, I dont really see a worry about being authentic.
    He refers to being a sellout, and even uses that phrase.It's more than just not getting to practice enough or something, although that's in there. To me, that almost sounds like, because he "sold out", he's not being a real musician. That's the best I can tease out.

I don't like him at all as a person. He left his son (Julian) and he was a violent man (he beat his first wife, Cynthia). The thing with Yoko and how he allowed himself to be that manipulated seems to me to be more related to an underdeveloped Fe in him than Fi (but maybe I'm wrong and this is unrelated to MBTI or enneagram).
    I associate that kind of behavior, fairly or unfairly, of not practicing what you preach, to an (unhealthy... it should be emphasized) ENFP. Also, I am skewed a bit by his involvement with activism, which seems ENFP.

I don't see anything Ti about that at all. Ti is obsessed with internal coherency, and finds it difficult to hold conflicting ideas like that in the head (unless, perhaps... they are unconscious.) The thing is, the ENF stuff is such a part of his personality.

I cannot see an ENT past the age of 20 ever saying that "Love is all you need." (unless that was Paul's doing? ) I have not observed any trace of introverted Thinking in him.

He just seems like such a hypocrite, singing about love and peace and then being a negligent father and an abusive husband...at least McCartney was singing about love things and being the fun-loving guy, no hypocrisy there. I'd like to think that an Fi user would be more concerned about consistency in values and behavior.
    I agree with you.... that's why I like Harrison, much, much better. I'm biased, admittedly, but that's not necessarily something I've observed in Fi users. Perhaps it comes out of having values and then not thinking of the consequences and implications of those values? I don't know. I'm hardly an unbiased source here, I'll admit that my impression of the ENTP archetype is much more favorable than the ENFP archetype.

I am trying to revise my personal prejudices on that, but to me he seems like a dick in the way ENFPs are dicks, not in the way ENTPS are dicks.

Do you know his enneagram type?
    I don't, other than the fact that he's not a 5.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

@msg_v2 ok, i respect your opinions. who knows, maybe he's really enfp.

the only thing: love is all you need was written by paul. paul composed most (all?) love songs. the "love songs" written by lennon are never simply love songs, there's always sarcasm or politics or surrealism in them. it's like he's not comfortable expressing his feelings.

@OrangeAppled
    you didn't see the big pics of Cat Power and Fiona Apple on my initial post?
    @sleuthiness
    no! i've decided that Cat Power and Fiona Apple are INFPs and that's it! :P
    @Southern Kross
    i was thinking exactly the same about billy corgan.... seems a bit dark, also seems a bit direct...i thought he was a T?

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    ^ok, i respect your opinions. who knows, maybe he's really enfp.

the only thing: love is all you need was written by paul. paul composed most (all?) love songs. the "love songs" written by lennon are never simply love songs, there's always sarcasm or politics or surrealism in them. it's like he's not comfortable expressing his feelings.
    I'll have to listen to some of Lennon's solo work, then. That was one of the foundations of my ENFP characterization, so I'm more in doubt about Lennon being an ENFP than before.

Don't get me wrong, I like that song, but if I could write songs, I don't think I'd ever write a song like that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78