User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 88

  1. #61
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Whatever. I can't believe that you are jealous that I am more punk than you. Don't judge me just because I'm really passionate about indie music. Once, I heard this shitty band called The Ramones that totally ripped off of Green Day. It made me angry, actually, how anyone could be such blatant thieves. I punched a hole in the while because it was so offensive. As someone who is knowledgeable about punk, it seemed quite wrong.

  2. #62
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,040

    Default

    Trust me, as a punk rocker, I can totally bring my cowboy hat to wear over my dreads. Being punk, it's pretty much what's required of me.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    St Jimmy is pretty good.
    I liked Give Me Novacaine. More like old school Green Day.

  4. #64
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I liked Give Me Novacaine. More like old school Green Day.
    I'm actually not that big of a Green Day fan. I only liked "Warning". And that's because I had the album growing up.

  5. #65
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Definetly overrated, I agree.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  6. #66
    Junior Member Dufflepud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It is an objective fact that they have achieved a level of commercial success not commensurate with their level of artistic ability.
    "Artistic ability" is not something that can be measured objectively. As such, you cannot compare their commercial success to it objectively, and cannot objectively say that the two are disproportionately. What you're doing instead is throwing objectivity out the window.

    Daft Punk isn't really my thing, but your statement is utterly, incorrigibly false.
    ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 75.86% Introverted (I) 24.14%
    Intuitive (N) 83.87% Sensing (S) 16.13%
    Thinking (T) 84.38% Feeling (F) 15.63%
    Perceiving (P) 84.38% Judging (J) 15.63%

  7. #67
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dufflepud View Post
    "Artistic ability" is not something that can be measured objectively.
    That's idiot. Some people are objectively talented and some people are objectively untalented. For example Mozart had objectively more talent than Britney Spears. To say the contrary would be a denial of reality. Of course, many people prefer Britney Spears to Mozart, but that is subjective, that just means that many people have objectively bad taste in music, while some others have objectively good taste in music.

    So there's objectives criterias which allow us to say that Britney Spears's artistic abilities are inferior to thoses of Mosart, and also that Daft Punk's artistic abilities are overrated. And they are overrated.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  8. #68
    Junior Member Dufflepud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    23

    Default

    "Idiot" is not an adjective, first of all.

    Secondly, you gave an extreme example, in which you compared two PEOPLE, not one person to their commercial success. One could, for example, objectively say that superman is better at hand to hand combat than I am. However, that doesn't mean that one could objectively measure "skill in hand to hand combat," let alone compare it to a person's level of success. The statement that Daft Punk's "musical talent" which cannot be MEASURED objectively, does not match up with their commercial success, which CAN be measured objectively, is unfounded.

    If the OP had said "Daft Punk's musical ability does not match their commercial success, I would have agreed with them. However, instead they misused the words "objective" and "fact," and so I can't agree with them.
    ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 75.86% Introverted (I) 24.14%
    Intuitive (N) 83.87% Sensing (S) 16.13%
    Thinking (T) 84.38% Feeling (F) 15.63%
    Perceiving (P) 84.38% Judging (J) 15.63%

  9. #69
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    I believe there is one song I like from them (face to face) and even that's some low grade shit.

  10. #70
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaqcues Le Paul View Post
    How shall we go about examining someone's talent?
    Talent is like honor, if you need it to be defined, you don't have it.

    There's many art school, and every year, thousands of people compete to enter in theses schools. There's many candidates, few are chosen. If there's was no way to measure artistic talent, to considerate who have the potential to be a better artist than others, theses selections would be impossible. But, of course it's not the case. Hitler tryed to enter in one of theses school, but he failed, was refused. An it was justified: he truly had no talent in painting, he was a terrible painter. It's dumb to say that everything is subjective and that there's no way to measure talent. Good painters exist, bad painter exist too. Hitler was a bad one and it was measurable objectively. Same for music. There's good music and good musician, and there's bad music and bad musicians.

    As someone could say for example, "Mozart is more well known, thus more talented."

    While another person could say, "Brittney Spears, profited more off of her talent. Thus, she is more talented."
    We talk about artistic abilities, not fame of profit, don't be stupid.



    To say one artist is more talented then another, isn't. You're just disagreeing with someone's tastes.
    No. Taste is about if you prefer sad music or happy music, energetic music or relaxing music, Pop or Jazz, Rock or R'nB. Saying that nobody is more talented than another and that it's just a matter of state. There's people who dance well, paint well, sing well, are imaginatives and creatives, and some others who dance bad, sing bad, paint bad and have no talent. That's objective and telling the contrary is being in denial of reality.



    As you're saying that preferring a lesser talented artist means that you have bad taste in music.
    Yes.

    So doesn't that borderline on a narrow minded way of thinking?
    No.

    Because it boils down to your idea on music and talent.
    It's not about MY idea of music and talent. It's an obective thing, so it's not just about me.

    Artistic talent itself is not objective, it's subjective.

    As I've explained, you are wrong.

    If we follow your idea, therefore I could just pee and fart on your face and claim that it's an artistic performance, which is as good as another. This statement is actually one of the biggest vector of mediocrity of our age. When everything is considered as equal and just a matter of personal taste, whatever degenerated guy who knows nothing about art can do the most mediocre thing and claim this is art. The personal vulgarity of anyone is legitimized like something as great as a true work of art, there's no necessity for quality anymore, since everything is subjective all you have to do is not being truly a good artist, but making people say that what you do is good art. Which means mundane network and hype.


    We could discuss this for days, but no definite conclusion could be made. As there is not a conclusion to be made about two people's ideas of music and talent.We could both cherry pick "justifications" for days upon days about which artist is more talented. Any argument claiming to be objective will fall apart since everyone would be putting their own biases and perspective into their argument in the end.
    The member of the jury who decided that Hitler was untalented did not need to discuss it for days. They just had a reasonably fine appreciation for art, and understood quickly that this guy had no potential in the field of graphic art.

    Just like we can understand quickly that Britney Spears is less talented than Mozart and that Daft Punk is overrated.

    So, again, you are wrong.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Similar Threads

  1. Corn is Overrated
    By Jacques Le Paul in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-29-2016, 11:19 PM
  2. Emotional Intelligence Is Overrated
    By highlander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 10:26 PM
  3. New Daft Punk album...
    By Poindexter Arachnid in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 05:37 PM
  4. Science & technology is overrated.
    By Qlip in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 08:49 AM
  5. New eNTP (I might be crazy, but sanity is overrated)
    By Kaffeine in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO