First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It is an objective fact that they have achieved a level of commercial success not commensurate with their level of artistic ability. Their songs are repetitive, easy to get lodged in the head, but unlike good music, it does not make us want to keep them there.

This is reality. The burden of proof is on others to show that this is not so. Reality does not need to be explained. It simply is.
    When you mention repetitive, it's more the style of music they create which is 4 on the floor, hypnotic house music(until recently), plus they have only released four full albums in the past 16 years. I think their first album was unique and innovative, it was meant to be repetitive and minimalist but there were movements like build ups. Their second album was their best IMO with influences from the '70s like disco, funk, soft rock, prog, and even metal, their third album is when they began to falter and their fourth album has been a big hit but is very mediocre and unoriginal when you get past the hype. At least with Discovery(2001) even though there was obvious retro influences they managed to put a then at the time contemporary dance music spin on it. I think Human After All though has been a very big influence on a lot of modern top 40 EDM.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

It is an objective fact that they have achieved a level of commercial success not commensurate with their level of artistic ability. Their songs are repetitive, easy to get lodged in the head, but unlike good music, it does not make us want to keep them there.

This is reality. The burden of proof is on others to show that this is not so. Reality does not need to be explained. It simply is.
    I can't stand Daft Punk and even I'd never say this.

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I see this thread was made in 2013. It seems more like something one would have said in 2003.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

What do you have against French music??
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I bet he hates the Knife too. If he's heard of them.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Yeeeah, they're not as good as everyone makes them out to be probably. But they're way better than Mumford and Sons and everything else that has the glory of the mainstream spotlight. They're really hit and miss for me. I've listened to quite a few of their albums, and they always feall a little flat for me. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is a great song, and I happen to like Get Lucky as well.

I think the problem is that bands who make music that is at all better than the typical radio music or have a style from a non-mainstream genre [like techno, bluegrass, etc] people just fall all over them. I think of Adelle. That chick just had a nice voice and a little different style and people were throwing elbows to beat the crowds up her butt. I think that Daft Punk has potential, but are probably driven to keep things just a little lame so that everyone will still like them. Or, they just are a little lame so people think they're great without having to venture into weird music territory.

Final evaluation, I give em a C.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Yeeeah, they're not as good as everyone makes them out to be probably. But they're way better than Mumford and Sons and everything else that has the glory of the mainstream spotlight.
    Mumford and Son leave me cold, so I will not take issue with that. Please do not tell me that this applies to the Lumineers, however.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Mumford and Son leave me cold, so I will not take issue with that. Please do not tell me that this applies to the Lumineers, however.
    Ok, I won't
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I think Random Access Memories is objectively very high quality and also their most accessible work (which I can only support), but nonetheless, it bores me compared to their older stuff. Personal taste.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I think Random Access Memories is objectively very high quality and also their most accessible work (which I can only support), but nonetheless, it bores me compared to their older stuff. Personal taste.
    This is a pretty good description, especially since I'd never really thought about the record in terms of commercialized accessibility. Honestly, it's more of a cross-over record than any of their previous works, and a bit too much of a break-from-form from their up-tempo House music roots for my personal tastes.

To me, the lead single "Get Lucky" only real tie-ins relating back to Daft Punk is almost strictly in that their name is slapped on it; It just doesn't play at all like a song that I'd associate with the group, nor am I a real big fan of big named collaborations. Even though most fans were disappointed with Human After All as the follow-up to Discovery, it still played retained the elements associated with the group's overall sound, and in hindsight is actually a really good album, albeit comparably more one-dimensional and monotonous.