First 1234 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    If you say something is good or bad, your merely saying something about your taste and their is grounds for anyone to argue. When you say something is underrated or overrated, it inherently involves the implication that a large number of other people are wrong, thus the groundwork for an argument is laid out.
    In truth, I feel that the terms "overrated" and "underrated" are actually ridiculous. It's just a way of taking the fact that your subjective opinions differ from those of other people you know, and making that seem objective and final. I was deliberately trying to invoke an obnoxious image of a "music connoisseur" who believes themselves to be an arbiter of taste. Actually, it seems to me that a lot of people seem to start calling the same things "overrated" at around the same time, which starts to raise the interesting question of why I'm having a hard time finding anyone who holds this "overrated" thing in high esteem.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I remember how moved I was the first time I heard Something About Us. It's understated, poignant, and universal. That's not easy to pull off.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    This is reality. The burden of proof is on others to show that this is not so. Reality does not need to be explained. It simply is.
    Is this whole thread some sort of weird epilogue to that inferior thread you freaked out in? Or is this you acting out your trauma or something?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I remember how moved I was the first time I heard Something About Us. It's understated, poignant, and universal. That's not easy to pull off.

ETA:

Is this whole thread some sort of weird epilogue to that inferior thread you freaked out in? Or is this you acting out your trauma or something?
    The former. For figuring it out, here's a picture of a sperm whale!

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

The former. For figuring it out, here's a picture of a sperm whale!

I love how you used Daft Punk as the shell for your little bit of satire, as CLEARLY no one could ever honestly dislike Daft Punk.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I love how you used Daft Punk as the shell for your little bit of satire, as CLEARLY no one could ever honestly dislike Daft Punk.
    I don't know enough of their stuff to be able to say that I dislike them, but I am a little tired of hearing their current single. I noticed it was Zarathustra's song choice, so I went with that. But Zarathustra and I are cool now, I think.

Visit my Johari:

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I don't know enough of their stuff to be able to say that I dislike them, but I am a little tired of hearing their current single.
    I could agree with that, the new CD is pretty lackluster in comparison to the older stuff. With that said, Discovery gave my life purpose.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I could agree with that, the new CD is pretty lackluster in comparison to the older stuff. With that said, Discovery gave my life purpose.
    Random Access Memories is a return to their more funk roots of Discovery. And I really dig it.

Human after all (2005) was unquestionably their weakest album (while still good) with its less pleasant robotic theme and tones.

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Random Access Memories is a return to their more funk roots of Discovery. And I really dig it.
    To each his own, I guess. Random Access Memories just feels very flat and stale, at least in comparison to other works -- It just seems like they're trying to create this light, easy-going atmosphere with the songs that just feels very contrived. I really liked the abrasiveness of Human After All, even though the songs were a bit one-dimensional and less exploratory.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

To each his own, I guess. Random Access Memories just feels very flat and stale, at least in comparison to other works -- It just seems like they're trying to create this light, easy-going atmosphere with the songs that just feels very contrived. I really liked the abrasiveness of Human After All, even though the songs were a bit one-dimensional and less exploratory.
    It's not as strong as Discovery, but no one had heard anything like discovery before.

I think it's pretty close though. I can't really think of many bands as mainstream and as good as daft punk. For how popular they are, they really stay true to what they want to do, and you have to respect that.

Music critics weren't as big of fans of Human after all as they are of Random Access Memories.

Compared to most of the shit I hear played on the radio, Daft Punk is friggen Beethoven.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

Human after all (2005) was unquestionably their weakest album (while still good) with its less pleasant robotic theme and tones.
    I'm gonna have to give RAM a second go. I wasn't too impressed by my first listen. Pharell's contributions were actually the only bright spots.

Between that and being utterly let down by Yeezus, I'm starting to lose hope for me having a real love affair with any album this year.