123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default X-Men: Days of Future Past

Singer may also tease details of the film's plot, which is based on a 1981 comic-book story line authored by Chris Claremont. That version presented a dystopian future ruled by Sentinels, a setting so grim for our heroes that fan-favorite mutant Kitty Pryde sends her consciousness back in time to warn the X-Men, who then try to stop the assassination of a senator that would set in motion the mutant-threatening events to come. In Singer's take, Ellen Page returns as Kitty from the Brett Ratner–directed X-Men: The Last Stand, but this time she uses her powers to send Hugh Jackman's Wolverine back into the past, where he encounters the younger mutants played by James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, and Michael Fassbender. However, something bad happens to Kitty during the time-travel trance, and while Wolverine is still under her spell, the other X-Men must race to find a mutant who can siphon Kitty's powers and bring their friend back to the future. Could that be the plot development that brings Anna Paquin's power-copying Rogue into the fold once again?
    Okay, what is this crap exactly?

Who decided it was a good idea to take one of the most famous, best X-Men story lines from its glory days of Claremont/Byrne and change not only one of the characters, but also rewrite the story so that you're going into the past from the present rather than the present into the future? At least, that is how this synopsis seems to read.

It shouldn't even be called by this title, if you're going to change the story like that. I don't care if Singer is doing it, this is pretty much garbage. If I'm going to see a movie called "X-Men: Days of Future Past," I expect to see Kitty going into the future to watch all of her friends die.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Haha that sounds pretty awful, where did you find this?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Epiphany

These X-Men movies are all over the place. I see that a new Wolverine is about to come out. I thought they already made one and it was terrible, as I recall. Though I saw a bootleg copy with shitty graphics. You could see the wires suspending actors in the air during action sequences.

Nonetheless, I liked the first two X-Men movies. And the origin movie wasn't bad.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Well, no matter what happens, it's going to be WORLDS better than the godawful fuckup that was X3. I loved the Dark Phoenix Saga. I will never forgive them for what they did to it.

*shakes angry Fi fist at sky*
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Well, no matter what happens, it's going to be WORLDS better than the godawful fuckup that was X3. I loved the Dark Phoenix Saga. I will never forgive them for what they did to it.

*shakes angry Fi fist at sky*
    Just because Hitler was so much more godawful doesn't mean I have to appreciate Saddam Hussein.

But I know what you mean. I haven't even WATCHED X3 -- too scared to.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Haha that sounds pretty awful, where did you find this?
    Some stupid article on some Daily news site covering Comic Con. I think.

EDIT:
    Oh here it is:
    http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/x-men...haracters.html

I mean, come on -- first they raped Jean Grey and now Kitty? In the immortal words of Matt Kennedy Gould, what is going on???!

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Nonetheless, I liked the first two X-Men movies. And the origin movie wasn't bad.
    I think I only ever saw the first one (so-so), and then the most recent "flashback" one with the original X-men.. which, yes was better even if not something I care to watch over again.

I mean, it's pretty sad when I'd rather watch a one-shot superpowers pic like Push vs an established rich narrative tapestry with decades of texture.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Okay, what is this crap exactly?

Who decided it was a good idea to take one of the most famous, best X-Men story lines from its glory days of Claremont/Byrne and change not only one of the characters, but also rewrite the story so that you're going into the past from the present rather than the present into the future? At least, that is how this synopsis seems to read.
    To me, it sounds like they decided Wolverine was the "main character"", and decided to put him at the forefront. Which must be really annoying for fans. Wolverine seems to get enough exposure as it is. Apparently, there are other members of the X-men besides him, but you'd never know it.

Also:

Potentially, it's thread derailing, but it's a good song, so I don't care. I wish the video accompanying it wasn't so Hallmarky.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    To me, it sounds like they decided Wolverine was the "main character"", and decided to put him at the forefront. Which must be really annoying for fans. Wolverine seems to get enough exposure as it is. Apparently, there are other members of the X-men besides him, but you'd never know it.
    That was my thought as well. he's the popular one. Hence they're trying to milk him. Not that Wolverine wasn't a fave in the X-Men books there either, but.... what they just did to the story is pretty bad. And it's not like Wolvie didn't appear in the original storyline, albeit as his future self.

That storyline was so awesome that it started an onslaught of future/ alternate reality storylines in just about every comic you can think of since that time -- it's THAT prominent of a story. And they've just cheesed around with it.

(And would it really kill them just to cast actual appropriate actors in the roles and make a more serious movie? It's pretty clear the "commercialized fluff" X-men attempts didn't do much at all. I'm not even happy with Ellen Page playing INFP Kitty.)

I wonder if someone could make a decent "Magik" movie based on the mini-series, where Illyana gets stuck in Limbo and runs into alternate corrupted versions of Kitty and Kurt and others, torn up by Belasco.

EDIT: Great song. I mean, it tends to be overplayed, but still a great song. Great album.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That was my thought as well. he's the popular one. Hence they're trying to milk him. Not that Wolverine wasn't a fave in the X-Men books there either, but.... what they just did to the story is pretty bad. And it's not like Wolvie didn't appear in the original storyline, albeit as his future self.

That storyline was so awesome that it started an onslaught of future/ alternate reality storylines in just about every comic you can think of since that time -- it's THAT prominent of a story. And they've just cheesed around with it.

(And would it really kill them just to cast actual appropriate actors in the roles and make a more serious movie? It's pretty clear the "commercialized fluff" X-men attempts didn't do much at all. I'm not even happy with Ellen Page playing INFP Kitty.)
    She can phase through matter, right? Is that somehow linked to her time travel abilities, or is it separate?
    EDIT: Great song. I mean, it tends to be overplayed, but still a great song. Great album.
    Yeah, I like that the made an entire album about the "flow" of the day.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    She can phase through matter, right? Is that somehow linked to her time travel abilities, or is it separate?
    no freaking idea.

yes, her power is phasing. She can phase herself + things she is touching.

A side power is that when she phases through electronics, she can short circuit them. She's also been able (at times) to walk on air by phasing above the molecules or something cray like that, i think.

Time-travel? Not really. I think in the original, they got a machine to do the time travel and Rachel sent Kate Pryde's mind back to Kitty's body, since Kitty had the least mental protection at that point in her tenure at the school.

Yeah, I like that the made an entire album about the "flow" of the day.
    I'll be honest -- I love MP3's and downloadable singles, but I'm sad about the general death of the "concept album," which was made possible basically because of the LP format as the main distribution mechanism.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

X-Men is the movie version of Call of Duty, they just keep shitting them out.