• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Singer may also tease details of the film's plot, which is based on a 1981 comic-book story line authored by Chris Claremont. That version presented a dystopian future ruled by Sentinels, a setting so grim for our heroes that fan-favorite mutant Kitty Pryde sends her consciousness back in time to warn the X-Men, who then try to stop the assassination of a senator that would set in motion the mutant-threatening events to come. In Singer's take, Ellen Page returns as Kitty from the Brett Ratner–directed X-Men: The Last Stand, but this time she uses her powers to send Hugh Jackman's Wolverine back into the past, where he encounters the younger mutants played by James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, and Michael Fassbender. However, something bad happens to Kitty during the time-travel trance, and while Wolverine is still under her spell, the other X-Men must race to find a mutant who can siphon Kitty's powers and bring their friend back to the future. Could that be the plot development that brings Anna Paquin's power-copying Rogue into the fold once again?

Okay, what is this crap exactly?

Who decided it was a good idea to take one of the most famous, best X-Men story lines from its glory days of Claremont/Byrne and change not only one of the characters, but also rewrite the story so that you're going into the past from the present rather than the present into the future? At least, that is how this synopsis seems to read.

It shouldn't even be called by this title, if you're going to change the story like that. I don't care if Singer is doing it, this is pretty much garbage. If I'm going to see a movie called "X-Men: Days of Future Past," I expect to see Kitty going into the future to watch all of her friends die.

E

Epiphany

These X-Men movies are all over the place. I see that a new Wolverine is about to come out. I thought they already made one and it was terrible, as I recall. Though I saw a bootleg copy with shitty graphics. You could see the wires suspending actors in the air during action sequences.

Nonetheless, I liked the first two X-Men movies. And the origin movie wasn't bad.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, no matter what happens, it's going to be WORLDS better than the godawful fuckup that was X3. I loved the Dark Phoenix Saga. I will never forgive them for what they did to it.

*shakes angry Fi fist at sky*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no matter what happens, it's going to be WORLDS better than the godawful fuckup that was X3. I loved the Dark Phoenix Saga. I will never forgive them for what they did to it.

*shakes angry Fi fist at sky*

Just because Hitler was so much more godawful doesn't mean I have to appreciate Saddam Hussein.

But I know what you mean. I haven't even WATCHED X3 -- too scared to.

Haha that sounds pretty awful, where did you find this?

Some stupid article on some Daily news site covering Comic Con. I think.

EDIT:
Oh here it is:
http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/x-men-days-of-future-pasts-secret-characters.html

I mean, come on -- first they raped Jean Grey and now Kitty? In the immortal words of Matt Kennedy Gould, what is going on???!

Nonetheless, I liked the first two X-Men movies. And the origin movie wasn't bad.

I think I only ever saw the first one (so-so), and then the most recent "flashback" one with the original X-men.. which, yes was better even if not something I care to watch over again.

I mean, it's pretty sad when I'd rather watch a one-shot superpowers pic like Push vs an established rich narrative tapestry with decades of texture.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, what is this crap exactly?

Who decided it was a good idea to take one of the most famous, best X-Men story lines from its glory days of Claremont/Byrne and change not only one of the characters, but also rewrite the story so that you're going into the past from the present rather than the present into the future? At least, that is how this synopsis seems to read.

To me, it sounds like they decided Wolverine was the "main character"", and decided to put him at the forefront. Which must be really annoying for fans. Wolverine seems to get enough exposure as it is. Apparently, there are other members of the X-men besides him, but you'd never know it.

Also:

Potentially, it's thread derailing, but it's a good song, so I don't care. I wish the video accompanying it wasn't so Hallmarky.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To me, it sounds like they decided Wolverine was the "main character"", and decided to put him at the forefront. Which must be really annoying for fans. Wolverine seems to get enough exposure as it is. Apparently, there are other members of the X-men besides him, but you'd never know it.

That was my thought as well. he's the popular one. Hence they're trying to milk him. Not that Wolverine wasn't a fave in the X-Men books there either, but.... what they just did to the story is pretty bad. And it's not like Wolvie didn't appear in the original storyline, albeit as his future self.

That storyline was so awesome that it started an onslaught of future/ alternate reality storylines in just about every comic you can think of since that time -- it's THAT prominent of a story. And they've just cheesed around with it.

(And would it really kill them just to cast actual appropriate actors in the roles and make a more serious movie? It's pretty clear the "commercialized fluff" X-men attempts didn't do much at all. I'm not even happy with Ellen Page playing INFP Kitty.)

I wonder if someone could make a decent "Magik" movie based on the mini-series, where Illyana gets stuck in Limbo and runs into alternate corrupted versions of Kitty and Kurt and others, torn up by Belasco.

EDIT: Great song. I mean, it tends to be overplayed, but still a great song. Great album.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That was my thought as well. he's the popular one. Hence they're trying to milk him. Not that Wolverine wasn't a fave in the X-Men books there either, but.... what they just did to the story is pretty bad. And it's not like Wolvie didn't appear in the original storyline, albeit as his future self.

That storyline was so awesome that it started an onslaught of future/ alternate reality storylines in just about every comic you can think of since that time -- it's THAT prominent of a story. And they've just cheesed around with it.

(And would it really kill them just to cast actual appropriate actors in the roles and make a more serious movie? It's pretty clear the "commercialized fluff" X-men attempts didn't do much at all. I'm not even happy with Ellen Page playing INFP Kitty.)

She can phase through matter, right? Is that somehow linked to her time travel abilities, or is it separate?
EDIT: Great song. I mean, it tends to be overplayed, but still a great song. Great album.

Yeah, I like that the made an entire album about the "flow" of the day.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She can phase through matter, right? Is that somehow linked to her time travel abilities, or is it separate?

no freaking idea.

yes, her power is phasing. She can phase herself + things she is touching.

A side power is that when she phases through electronics, she can short circuit them. She's also been able (at times) to walk on air by phasing above the molecules or something cray like that, i think.

Time-travel? Not really. I think in the original, they got a machine to do the time travel and Rachel sent Kate Pryde's mind back to Kitty's body, since Kitty had the least mental protection at that point in her tenure at the school.

Yeah, I like that the made an entire album about the "flow" of the day.

I'll be honest -- I love MP3's and downloadable singles, but I'm sad about the general death of the "concept album," which was made possible basically because of the LP format as the main distribution mechanism.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
X-Men is the movie version of Call of Duty, they just keep shitting them out.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll be honest -- I love MP3's and downloadable singles, but I'm sad about the general death of the "concept album," which was made possible basically because of the LP format as the main distribution mechanism.

I like big album artwork, and I kind of wish there were more stores where you could actually by music. It's easier to browse something like that if it's physical. Although, the death of the concept album prevents another cinematic atrocity on the level of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Anyway... I'l bet Cyclops fans were pissed by the movies.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The X-men films completely ruined Rogue in my opinion, which is so frustrating because she's always been my favorite. Too much emo, not enough bombshell-- and they couldn't even get her physical appearance right! Anna Paquin, while a great actress, is not Rogue. I did appreciate the film versions of many of the other characters, but they do mess w/ the story line too much.

The plot in the OP sounds worrisome, not sure I'll be seeing that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The X-men films completely ruined Rogue in my opinion, which is so frustrating because she's always been my favorite. Too much emo, not enough bombshell-- and they couldn't even get her physical appearance right! Anna Paquin, while a great actress, is not Rogue.

I had similar feelings as well.

I think I will just dig out my X-Men run from #105-200 or so and read those. Probably my favorite stream of X-men stories ever, although I admit to not reading anything after #300 or so. (Although I really liked Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men.)

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had similar feelings as well.

I think I will just dig out my X-Men run from #105-200 or so and read those. Probably my favorite stream of X-men stories ever, although I admit to not reading anything after #300 or so. (Although I really liked Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men.)

Sounds like a plan! Haha, don't worry I don't think there was much good after 300-- I've not read the Joss Whedon series though, maybe I should check it out. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These X-Men movies are all over the place. I see that a new Wolverine is about to come out. I thought they already made one and it was terrible, as I recall. Though I saw a bootleg copy with shitty graphics. You could see the wires suspending actors in the air during action sequences.

Wolverine is my favorite character. I liked that one that was out earlier.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wolverine is my favorite character. I liked that one that was out earlier.
I thought it was pretty good, too, albeit uneven and full of poor casting*. Cautiously optimistic about the new movie. Wolverine's my favorite, too, so I'm trying not to think too hard about what would happen if they messed up one of his storylines AGAIN**.

*Friggin Gambit and his friggin horrible accent and lack of charisma grumble grumble
**The Weapon X stuff was kickass in both X2 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, so that's an exception.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I liked him in the cartoon and in the first couple of movies. I didn't care for his solo debut though.

Marm was right.

You and I do share a lot of similarities.

Good for you -- most don't have such good taste.

/ plays Ghostbuster theme song while humping his girl

E

Epiphany

Marm was right.

You and I do share a lot of similarities.

Good on you -- most don't have such good taste.

/ plays Ghostbuster theme song while humping his girl

Haha! Did she intend that as an insult? I don't remember.

Always glad to find a kindred spirit.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The X-men films completely ruined Rogue in my opinion, which is so frustrating because she's always been my favorite.

Think rogue was bad? Cyclopes was just an emo, insecure douche. He's the leader of the X-Men, yet had about 10 speaking lines per movie and exhibited no leadership qualities whatsoever.

Actually, every character besides Wolverine and Jean Grey were awful.