User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: The Conjuring

  1. #1
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default The Conjuring

    I'm looking forward to this film even though I'm not overly impressed with the trailer. I try not to put too much stock in critics' reviews, but it currently has an 89% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes claiming that's it's NOT like all of the other redundant horror movies that have come out in the last decade or so. It's hard to find a genuinely scary movie these days. I've almost given up hope. Let's hope this one doesn't disappoint.


  2. #2
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Um, I had to stop the trailer at 37 seconds, haha. I wish I could watch stuff like this. I think I'll just go read about it instead.

  3. #3
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Um, I had to stop the trailer at 37 seconds, haha. I wish I could watch stuff like this. I think I'll just go read about it instead.
    Ha! I WISH I could get scared from watching movies. I love the spine-tingling sensation when you're sitting at the edge of your seat in suspense; it just doesn't happen very often. Most horror films these days ruin the mood with cheesy sound effects and trite visuals. How many more movies are we going to see of a girl contorting her body or bending over backwards? It was novel 40 years ago when the Exorcist came out. Now, it's a dreadfully overused cliché.

    Also, I roll my eyes every time the music hits a high note when something remotely suspenseful happens. What's that? A creepy child peeks around the corner? [Cue screeching noise] It would be a lot fucking scarier if the moment was silent and the horror was subtle, leaving a genuine feeling of dread instead of feeling like you're walking through a haunted attraction and someone startles you from around the corner.

  4. #4
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I'm pretty excitied about this -- especially with all the acclaim it has received. (Right now, it looks like it's beating out Red 2, Turbo, and RIPD hands-down in the Rotten Tomatoes scoring.)

    Same director as Saw and Insidious.

    It's about time we had a decent "scare" movie (well, I hope!) come out in widespread release. I just watched the Evil Dead remake last night, and that's more just a gore fest.

    I'm also familiar with Ed and Lorraine Warren (I read a copy of "The Demonologist") years ago. I still have memory of that freaky Raggedy Anne doll they had sealed up in a glass box.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #5
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Ha! I WISH I could get scared from watching movies. I love the spine-tingling sensation when you're sitting at the edge of your seat in suspense; it just doesn't happen very often. Most horror films these days ruin the mood with cheesy sound effects and trite visuals. How many more movies are we going to see of a girl contorting her body or bending over backwards? It was novel 40 years ago when the Exorcist came out. Now, it's a dreadfully overused cliché.

    Also, I roll my eyes every time the music hits a high note when something remotely suspenseful happens. What's that? A creepy child peeks around the corner? [Cue screeching noise] It would be a lot fucking scarier if the moment was silent and the horror was subtle, leaving a genuine feeling of dread instead of feeling like you're walking through a haunted attraction and someone startles you from around the corner.
    Maybe the regular fare is made for people like me who can't really take it. Have you always been able to watch horror? It's too real to me. (This makes me think about a time I took ambien to sleep. It didn't make me sleep, it made me hallucinate about creepy men in my room the whole night).

  6. #6
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    (This makes me think about a time I took ambien to sleep. It didn't make me sleep, it made me hallucinate about creepy men in my room the whole night).
    Probably a bad idea to watch Paranormal Activity in bed, then... Or the first segment of V/H/S 2.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #7
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I don't know why, but horror has become my favorite genre at some point. I like it when it's typically mixed with other things (I love scifi horror and drama horror, for example.) But I'm always one for a good scare movie.

    I thought Silent House was pretty impressive with the appearance of one long unbroken shot and Elizabeth Olsen's amazing performance (it's kind of one entire creepfest where you're jumping at everything she is, even when nothing is really there) -- unfortunately what dramatic elements were attempted to be filtered in at movie's end are kind of complete garbage.

    It reminds me of when I was young, living in the 200 year old parsonage of the 1700's cemetery and church next door, and I could look out and see the tombstones in the moonlight at night. And our house was old and creaky and had many dark spaces. Sometimes I'd get so scared going upstairs to the bathroom, I'd turn off the light to leave on my way back and run like mad down the steps and then stop and act normal.

    But I like rollercoasters and similar scares as well -- I like the rush, I think, and the key'ed up feeling of imagination and sensory impression totally anchored in the moment. It's like feeling very alive, almost like an SX vibe.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #8
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Probably a bad idea to watch Paranormal Activity in bed, then... Or the first segment of V/H/S 2.
    I would just about die of fright, I'm sure. It kinda sux.

    Did you happen to see the clip of the guy who pranked his sleeping GF recently? I don't know if I would flip out, (probably would). I did think it was oddly sweet he went to so much effort.



    Lol, bastard.

  9. #9
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I would just about die of fright, I'm sure. It kinda sux.

    Did you happen to see the clip of the guy who pranked his sleeping GF recently? I don't know if I would flip out, (probably would). I did think it was oddly sweet he went to so much effort.

    Lol, bastard.
    I'll look later (work blocks everything, meh). No, I only heard about the guy who had his gf arrested so he could propose to her -- not as bad as the guy who pretended to be in a horrible car wreck / dead or something and then proposed. (DOH)

    Now I can't wait to see the vid!

    Some people aren't scared by Para Activ but I'm the kind who projects into the story/movie, and I have to say the thought of having even someone I know loom over me for 90 minutes in a trance while I'm sleeping creeps me out... let alone being dragged out of bed and down the hall into the dark by something I can't see.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #10
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'll look later (work blocks everything, meh). No, I only heard about the guy who had his gf arrested so he could propose to her -- not as bad as the guy who pretended to be in a horrible car wreck / dead or something and then proposed. (DOH)

    Now I can't wait to see the vid!
    Wow. What? (Extreme proposals. There's a show). I have to google that. Edit: ok, saw the vids. Too far!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Some people aren't scared by Para Activ but I'm the kind who projects into the story/movie, and I have to say the thought of having even someone I know loom over me for 90 minutes in a trance while I'm sleeping creeps me out... let alone being dragged out of bed and down the hall into the dark by something I can't see.
    Oh god no. I already have an overactive imagination in the dark.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. The Conjuring - Patrick Wilson & Vera Farmiga
    By indigo_skies in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2016, 02:29 PM
  3. The Madmin Blog
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  4. Eileen (to the left)
    By Eileen in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO