User Tag List

First 234

Thread: The Conjuring

Epiphany

In all fairness, I've only seen the first Saw once and didn't have any interest in seeing the others.

I thought Kevin Spacey's portrayal of his character in Se7en was phenomenal. Strangely gentle, poetic and idealistic, yet simultaneously cruel and contradictory.

Another good one is Mr. Brooks, though it has some flaws. Loved the interactions between Kevin Costner and his diabolical conscience, William Hurt. The shocking revelation about his daughter. Even Dane Cook's character was interesting. I didn't care for Demi Moore's protagonist at all though.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I gotta break the habit of seeing horror movies with 85% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics seem to enjoy really boring horror movies, and The Conjuring is no exception.

James Wan's Insidious was far more scary, even with the poor man's Darth Maul...and really, Darth Maul was a lot scarier looking. The Conjuring, on the other hand...what was so special about it?

And why in the fuck was this movie rated R? Where was the gore?

One can hope that Insidious 2 will score a much lower rating on RT.

And after that, James Wan is on to direct Fast and Furious 7, a movie about demonically possessed Dodges (Dodge Demons, if you will), which will no doubt outdo Maximum Overdrive.

Oh, and was Billy the Puppet in The Conjuring? I missed it.

Epiphany

I didn't care for the first half and didn't have much hope going into the second half, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were some genuinely thrilling moments. I wouldn't rank it as high as The Exorcist, but as far as horror movies go, it's scarier than most. It was a better movie than Mission Impossible 4 and somehow that got a 93% rating on RT. It still baffles me.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    I gotta break the habit of seeing horror movies with 85% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics seem to enjoy really boring horror movies, and The Conjuring is no exception.

James Wan's Insidious was far more scary, even with the poor man's Darth Maul...and really, Darth Maul was a lot scarier looking. The Conjuring, on the other hand...what was so special about it?

And why in the fuck was this movie rated R? Where was the gore?

One can hope that Insidious 2 will score a much lower rating on RT.

And after that, James Wan is on to direct Fast and Furious 7, a movie about demonically possessed Dodges (Dodge Demons, if you will), which will no doubt outdo Maximum Overdrive.

Oh, and was Billy the Puppet in The Conjuring? I missed it.
    According to this article the movie received an R-rating because of how scary it is. It was hard for me to judge because the woman I saw it with was clinging to my arm the whole time and jumped at every little thing, but I did find certain elements in the latter half quite frightening. I even remember getting goosebumps a couple of times.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    According to this article the movie received an R-rating because of how scary it is. It was hard for me to judge because the woman I saw it with was clinging to my arm the whole time and jumped at every little thing, but I did find certain elements in the latter half quite frightening. I even remember getting goosebumps a couple of times.
    What was so scary about it? I only remember jumping out of my seat maybe two times. The rest of it is atmosphere and waiting for things to happen. ..and it never does. Atmosphere only works if there's a payoff. And the clapping hands in the cellar was the lamest jump scare I've ever seen. I'm surprised people jumped like they did...they even jumped when that scene was in the trailer.

And the doll was kinda lame, but I give it a pass since it's a director's trademark.

Speaking of which, it was kinda stupid of the two paranormal investigators to let the kids stay in the same house as the possessed artifacts. Yep, one of the stupider moves in this kinda movie.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    What was so scary about it? I only remember jumping out of my seat maybe two times. The rest of it is atmosphere and waiting for things to happen. ..and it never does. Atmosphere only works if there's a payoff. And the clapping hands in the cellar was the lamest jump scare I've ever seen. I'm surprised people jumped like they did...they even jumped when that scene was in the trailer.

And the doll was kinda lame, but I give it a pass since it's a director's trademark.

Speaking of which, it was kinda stupid of the two paranormal investigators to let the kids stay in the same house as the possessed artifacts. Yep, one of the stupider moves in this kinda movie.
    I agree about the doll and the clapping. After the hands came out of the closet and clapped in the first half hour or so, I was thoroughly annoyed with the direction of the movie. It seemed too much like Paranormal Activity without the first-person footage, as far as doors opening and people being pulled out of bed.

Later in the movie, I found the atmosphere sufficiently spooky. I would have to watch it again to name specific elements that I liked. I did think the exorcism scene, alone, was A LOT scarier than any exorcism I've seen in films since the original Exorcist.. When you think of the Last Exorcism, the Rite, the Exorcism of Emily Rose and a number of other similar films, without giving too much away, this was a unique rendition that I haven't seen before. Watching a movie over is a good way to tell if it truly succeeds as a horror film or if it was simply cheap scares that have no lasting value. I would definitely watch The Conjuring again.

Also, I liked the trailer for the new Carrie.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I saw it this morning, matinee, $6.50 yee-ha.

Overall, decent movie. First half was stronger than second half; once they did the reveal (of the main ghost), things became a more typical "exorcism" movie IMO but still a notch above most that I've seen. And I really like seeing Vera and Lili acting together -- two of my favorite underappreciated women in the business.

Movie is as advertised -- lots of subtle scares, takes a long time to build. You need to invest yourself in the movie and then it can rattle you. If you don't invest, it won't do as much. The movie is also good at sidestepping the conventions when need be; the director will frame part of the background to increase tension, or set up a scare beat and then not pay off until shortly after. This kind of throws off your rhythm as a viewer, in a productive way -- because you never know when the hell something is going to happen. Lili Taylor and the cellar is a prime example.

I found myself grinning in good ways during much of it, like you laugh on a rollercoaster that is about to take you for a ride.

The Warrens are a grounding force in this movie. I liked how they were portrayed as realistic, even self-deprecating, were duly skeptical of stories until investigating them, etc. They came across as credible in the movie. still, I have no idea what to make of them IRL. Only Lorraine lives, but she's 86 now. And this is the kind of experience that, when you have it, I have trouble imagining her wanting to capitalize/sensationalize it; I mean, this stuff is disturbing, and you would just be glad you could help people, but the experience is so dark, making entertainment out of it seems ... well, bizarre. So I don't know what to make of the authenticity of their career as demonologists. *shrug*

And a bit of a tangent, but: I did read The Demonologist, and the image that always stayed with me was this black and white photo of the large Raggedy Anne doll called Annabelle in the glass case. So I was tickled to see Annabelle show up in the movie, although I was a bit annoyed that they changed the doll to make her look creepy; the doll did exist, but she's a Raggedy Ann doll... which was worse to me because she had that stupid raggedy smile + the big black eyes that look like dead shark eyes.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft