• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the universal age people start watching the weather channel and morning news

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
for fun? I think it's 40 for morning news and 60 for the weather.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends on if they're ISTJ or ENFP.

:D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh god this is funny.

Lark

I'm 34, the first thing I tune the TV to when I get up in the morning is the news. I wouldnt say I do it for fun but I dont have the time or money for newspapers anymore. I dont think we have anything here like the weather channel.

My brother who is a lot younger than me, in his twenties, used to watch infomercial channels but he did that at a younger age, when they were first introduced to this country with the expansion of channels from the four which were available growing up.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to "watch" the weather channel quite frequently. I've heard it referred to as "old people's MTV". Ha...yeah, it was a substitute for playing MTV all day as background noise when I was a teen.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I used to "watch" the weather channel quite frequently. I've heard it referred to as "old people's MTV". Ha...yeah, it was a substitute for playing MTV all day as background noise when I was a teen.

yeah but did you sit there entrall by the storm front going over the east coast? have to find out which direction it's gonna go is it gonna go more north or more south? like my dad does.

Mole

Permabanned
Boring and Old or Tuned In and Turned On

the age when people turn boring and old

Those who watch TV are boring and old. Take Mole for instance, he has never owned a TV in his entire life, rather he is tuned in and turned on.

Nicki

Retired
Those who watch TV are boring and old. Take Mole for instance, he has never owned a TV in his entire life, rather he is tuned in and turned on.

I can never just watch TV. It's so boring to just sit there watching a screen. I always have to be doing something else like eating a snack or writing/drawing/reading. So I kind of agree with you. But boring young people exist too.

Mole gets it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know I was like 11, 12? My high school boyfriend used to watch the weather channel obsessively in high school because he was terrified of hurricanes (North Carolina living).

I started watching the evening world news (with Peter Jennings or something?) at about 8 or 9, actually.

It's more of an interest thing than an old thing.

The news has also changed dramatically. Emphasis on the "dramatic."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
yeah but did you sit there entrall by the storm front going over the east coast? have to find out which direction it's gonna go is it gonna go more north or more south? like my dad does.

Seriously this an interest thing. I started watching the world news as a child because of interest in history, geography and politics. I've always had that bent in some weird way.

My favorite nephew did too. I'm thinking grandfather influence on both of us. He also had the highest grade in Social Studies on the West Test in his school district in the 5th grade.

Neither of us were/are (are in his case, he's just now 16) "boring" teenagers by any stretch of the imagination. I was actually pretty rebellious.

Your dad sounds like he's interested in natural science.

I don't turn on the tv as soon as I wake up, though. I don't like that. I think anyone who does that has a bad habit.

But I have bad Internet habits.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think I'll ever watch TV news. I tried it several years ago and just ended up sitting there weeping. Decided it wasn't for me.

I sometimes check weather channel on my laptop or phone when I'm deciding what to wear, but I don't watch it on TV.

I'm in my early forties.

I watch The Daily Show and Colbert if my daughter reminds me to, though, and I'd watch Game of Thrones if I had HBO.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think I'll ever watch TV news. I tried it several years ago and just ended up sitting there weeping. Decided it wasn't for me.

That's why I read the news on the Internet now because I think the older I got the more I internalized what I was seeing in the world. I had a morbid interest in the Spitting Image puppets when I was like 9 years old.

Actually I think someone could make an Se/Fi/Te development argument for my personality if they based it sheerly on my interest in Current Events.

It's like I can't stand to not know what's going on or be involved in it somehow unless it mortifies me so much I have to pull away.

The news has become MUCH MORE sensationalist and visceral though than it was when I was growing up, and it makes it far too disturbing to watch many times.

I understand the feeling though of being emotionally overwhelmed by what I am seeing. I think that started hitting me in my early twenties.

I received Pink Floyd The Wall Live From Berlin (after the reunification of Germany) on VHS as a middle schooler and read Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot with rapt interest as a teenager.

That's my idea of a good time!

Just kidding. I do other stuff too.

I almost find it comical that people would presume only old boring people watch the news, knowing myself.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I watched enough Weather Channel as a child to not need to watch it when I'm old :D

Mole

Permabanned
The Weather Report

It was a magical night last night. The city was lit like a christmas tree with barely the odd car charging along the boulevards wet and misty with rain.

I looked around me, saw the lights reflected off the clouds, and at my feet were nocturnal possums, doing what only possums do at night.

And I realised I was surrounded by space, lit space, shared only with the odd car and possums. And I realised the ultimate luxury is space. And here I was surrounded by it, lit for my eyes, and safe as houses.

I searched the weather report and found no mention of possums or the luxury of space.

sarek

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
45 is about the age i started with stopping watching the news. First of all the reason was that I began to expand and intensify my online life a great deal but a more fundamental reason is that it, like just about any form of popular entertainment, is becoming more and more an 'anchor' which appear to be weighing me down and holding me back.

Its like i know the ins and outs of that world now. There is nothing new under the sun and the difference between politicians of today and pharaoh Amenemhet is for all practical purposes pretty much negligible. Its time for me to move on and find more lasting truths and values.