User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Those who watch TV are boring and old. Take Mole for instance, he has never owned a TV in his entire life, rather he is tuned in and turned on.
    I can never just watch TV. It's so boring to just sit there watching a screen. I always have to be doing something else like eating a snack or writing/drawing/reading. So I kind of agree with you. But boring young people exist too.

Mole gets it.
    I really like cats and food.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't know I was like 11, 12? My high school boyfriend used to watch the weather channel obsessively in high school because he was terrified of hurricanes (North Carolina living).

I started watching the evening world news (with Peter Jennings or something?) at about 8 or 9, actually.

It's more of an interest thing than an old thing.

The news has also changed dramatically. Emphasis on the "dramatic."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    the age when people turn boring and old
    I was boring and old before I hit puberty? Must be an ISTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah but did you sit there entrall by the storm front going over the east coast? have to find out which direction it's gonna go is it gonna go more north or more south? like my dad does.

Seriously this an interest thing. I started watching the world news as a child because of interest in history, geography and politics. I've always had that bent in some weird way.

My favorite nephew did too. I'm thinking grandfather influence on both of us. He also had the highest grade in Social Studies on the West Test in his school district in the 5th grade.

Neither of us were/are (are in his case, he's just now 16) "boring" teenagers by any stretch of the imagination. I was actually pretty rebellious.

Your dad sounds like he's interested in natural science.

I don't turn on the tv as soon as I wake up, though. I don't like that. I think anyone who does that has a bad habit.

But I have bad Internet habits.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't think I'll ever watch TV news. I tried it several years ago and just ended up sitting there weeping. Decided it wasn't for me.

I sometimes check weather channel on my laptop or phone when I'm deciding what to wear, but I don't watch it on TV.

I'm in my early forties.

I watch The Daily Show and Colbert if my daughter reminds me to, though, and I'd watch Game of Thrones if I had HBO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't think I'll ever watch TV news. I tried it several years ago and just ended up sitting there weeping. Decided it wasn't for me.
    That's why I read the news on the Internet now because I think the older I got the more I internalized what I was seeing in the world. I had a morbid interest in the Spitting Image puppets when I was like 9 years old.

Actually I think someone could make an Se/Fi/Te development argument for my personality if they based it sheerly on my interest in Current Events.

It's like I can't stand to not know what's going on or be involved in it somehow unless it mortifies me so much I have to pull away.

The news has become MUCH MORE sensationalist and visceral though than it was when I was growing up, and it makes it far too disturbing to watch many times.

I understand the feeling though of being emotionally overwhelmed by what I am seeing. I think that started hitting me in my early twenties.

I received Pink Floyd The Wall Live From Berlin (after the reunification of Germany) on VHS as a middle schooler and read Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot with rapt interest as a teenager.

That's my idea of a good time!

Just kidding. I do other stuff too.

I almost find it comical that people would presume only old boring people watch the news, knowing myself.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I watched enough Weather Channel as a child to not need to watch it when I'm old

The Weather Report

It was a magical night last night. The city was lit like a christmas tree with barely the odd car charging along the boulevards wet and misty with rain.

I looked around me, saw the lights reflected off the clouds, and at my feet were nocturnal possums, doing what only possums do at night.

And I realised I was surrounded by space, lit space, shared only with the odd car and possums. And I realised the ultimate luxury is space. And here I was surrounded by it, lit for my eyes, and safe as houses.

I searched the weather report and found no mention of possums or the luxury of space.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    for fun? I think it's 40 for morning news and 60 for the weather.
    I've been reading the news online hardcore since 22. But I'm not really indicative of the populace at large.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sp/sx

45 is about the age i started with stopping watching the news. First of all the reason was that I began to expand and intensify my online life a great deal but a more fundamental reason is that it, like just about any form of popular entertainment, is becoming more and more an 'anchor' which appear to be weighing me down and holding me back.

Its like i know the ins and outs of that world now. There is nothing new under the sun and the difference between politicians of today and pharaoh Amenemhet is for all practical purposes pretty much negligible. Its time for me to move on and find more lasting truths and values.