MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default "The Lone Ranger"

A whopping 25% at Rotten Tomatoes (so far). What they said about it:

Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp make for an appealing pair of leads as the Lone Ranger and Tonto, but they're not enough to make up for The Lone Ranger's bland script, bloated length, and blaring action overkill.
    Oh...sounds like Pirates of the Caribbean...only now, Johnny Depp's quirkiness has become far too mainstream. (Back in 2003, it was only too mainstream.) Not that I give a shit about Johnny Depp, bland script, or bloated length (provided I don't drink any pop)...a blaring action overkill could make a movie good enough for me.

Sadly, I have to work late today, so I won't be able to see it until tomorrow.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think I'm going to see Despicable Me 2 instead.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm surprised that there isn't more outcry over Johnny Depp playing a Native American. It seems like people get more upset about that kind of thing it's a cartoon character or CG creation, for some reason. As long as you are an actual human stereotyping another ethnicity, that's ok, but if it's some kind of fantastical creature that looks like a stereotype, people take issue. I don't know why that is.

Maybe because it's Johnny Depp and he's crazy and eccentric and indie quirky?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

I think that helps a bit. It's hard to hate Johnny Depp, and people take him more seriously than Jim Carrey. So his caricatures come off as more artistic/self-expressive rather than perpetuation of stereotype...

I was more annoyed with the bitching from Asian groups about casting for Cloud Atlas, despite the fact that it was essential to the storyline to have a core of the same white, Asian, and black actors, and cast them as different genders and races in the movie through time as part of the reincarnation process.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

you dont need to go see it to know its a flop.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The promos say it's the blockbuster hit of the summer.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Ginkgo

That's disappointing but not exactly surprising that they would get lazy about a narrative that's basically just a reiteration. It's apparently a challenge to take your artistic liberties while simultaneously embellishing the core of an idea. Not impossible, though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I'm surprised that there isn't more outcry over Johnny Depp playing a Native American. It seems like people get more upset about that kind of thing it's a cartoon character or CG creation, for some reason. As long as you are an actual human stereotyping another ethnicity, that's ok, but if it's some kind of fantastical creature that looks like a stereotype, people take issue. I don't know why that is.

For the record Depp claims he has some Native heritage. "Cherokee or maybe Creek." That helps, lol.

There's been some outcry, but it's mainly been among racial issue blogs and the like, not really in the mainstream press. That does surprise me. It was the first thing I thought when I heard they were making a LR movie. Wonder who will play Tonto and how they'll handle that? Then I found out. Really? Johnny Depp? PR nightmare. But it hasn't been, at least not that I've seen.

MBTI
    yupp

i'm beginning to think that people like to complain about the most mundane and pointless things on earth.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...ors-man-150019

"I wanted to maybe give some hope to kids on the reservations. ... They're living without running water and seeing problems with drugs and booze. But I wanted to be able to show these kids, 'F*** that! You're still warriors, man.' "

My eyes! They're rolling out of my head!