Thread: Kirk or Picard?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Question Kirk or Picard?

This has probably been discussed before, but I think an insistence on thread necromancy is unhealthy for forums.

Put me in the agonizer, if you must.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTP

Janeway.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I like the AI doc from voyager.

MBTI
    ISTx

Picard. I grew up with The Next Generation.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Kirk, although I like them both.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Tag-team.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The Original Serie is much more humorful, and its scenari are better written, for more mature people (TNG being for teenagers: it seems a pretty dull and conservative show in comparison to its rather flamboyant ancestor).

So I prefer Kirk, but only because when you say Kirk, you cannot bring him apart of the classic Id-Ego-SuperEgo triangle formed by Bones, Spock and Kirk. They all are the same person, the same acting team but each time with a different facet.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Really? I prefer TNG. This may be a generational thing. I find it's 90's style optimism easier to relate to than the cold war liberalism of TOS, because it's more familiar to me. I also find the acting better. Certainly, Patrick Stewart is a better actor than William Shatner.

But... about the characters themselves.... Picard is some sort of non-INTP NT, while original series Kirk is some sort of Se dom. (yes, even within the show itself, he's just older and more mature. Look at the original crop of movies, he hates being out of the action, doesn't believe in no-win scenarios, etc.)

Picard seems to be more interested in being an explorer and a discover than Kirk. Kirk seemed to like being a starship captain because it was an opportunity to be a man of action. Being an NT myself, I relate to the former more, as well as the crotchetiness.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Really? I prefer TNG. This may be a generational thing. I find it's 90's style optimism easier to relate to than the cold war liberalism of TOS, because it's more familiar to me. I also find the acting better. Certainly, Patrick Stewart is a better actor than William Shatner.

But... about the characters themselves.... Picard is some sort of non-INTP NT, while original series Kirk is some sort of Se dom. (yes, even within the show itself, he's just older and more mature. Look at the original crop of movies, he hates being out of the action, doesn't believe in no-win scenarios, etc.)

Picard seems to be more interested in being an explorer and a discover than Kirk. Kirk seemed to like being a starship captain because it was an opportunity to be a man of action. Being an NT myself, I relate to the former more, as well as the crotchetiness.
    The fifties and the sixties were the golden age of science fiction, and that is reflected in the accuracy and intellectualism of the TOS scenari.
    And no, William Shatner is not a worst actor than Patrick Stewart. He's much more vivid and even sometimes abrasive, always eager to make snarky comments. Considering the limited budget and the cheap sceneries they had during TOS, they all were incredible actors to make their stories "believable".

And in TOS, Kirk is not especially "a man of action". He's the ultimate leader, always balancing every extreme under his command, always reactive, and that's different. And that's why he has to seduce every side of the issue. If you look more carefully, he almost never disobeyed direct orders, he just spent his time trying a way to understand them in a slightly more efficient way. I'd say you're confusing the Kirk from TOS and the Kirk from recent movies.

Picard, in comparison, is much more conservative and careful , and he always does what is expected from him. He's the classic, predictable senior leader. He's the boring fatherhood figure a teenager serie would direly need.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Kirk. Picard is too wimpy or something. Not sure what it is exactly.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639