User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 49

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default Black people in Spiderman 2

    http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/28...laying-electro

    I thought it was interesting/sad how Jamie fox actually had to respond to the widespread racism spread about the internet when it was announced he'd be playing Electro in the new Spiderman movie. Electro has traditionally been portrayed as caucasian in the comics, but Jamie is obviously... black. People didn't like that, so they went about saying lots of stupid shit, as stupid people tend to do. Ofc, I can understand wanting the character to be JUST like they were in the original material, but it unfortunately got mixed up with prejudice viewpoints. My initial reaction was that it was an odd choice as well, given that race roles are very rarely switched up for these kinds of movies. But that worry quickly subsided, because I know Jamie is a great actor. Unfortunately, some people just aren't evolved enough to see past such bullcrap...

  2. #2
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Yeah, this sucks. People get angry about this kind of thing. There was a huge flap about a little black girl playing the part of Rue in Hunger Games and people said horrible things about her. Pretty disgusting.

    But we're totally post-racial guys!

  3. #3
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    While I understand the desire for accuracy, the purists can be ridiculous. Some people are still having an aneurysm over Man of Steel because Henry Cavill doesn't have the curl of hair in the middle of his forehead and doesn't wear his underpants on the outside.

    It does worry me when racism comes into it. If they followed the canon to a T when adapting comics, there wouldn't be any black people in the films at all. Such adaptions are based often on comics written 60-80 years ago and in that time minorities where all but completely marginalised from representation. We live in a different time where this is not acceptable - well, at least many recognise that it shouldn't be acceptable.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  4. #4
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    There was a huge flap about a little black girl playing the part of Rue in Hunger Games and people said horrible things about her. Pretty disgusting.
    Yeah, I was going to mention that. That was even more stupid because she is actually described in the books as having dark skin.

    That was perfect example of 'head canon' vs. actual canon.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  5. #5
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    I can understand why fans would be upset, as with any deviation from the original material, and don't think it should necessarily be attributed to racism. As someone who has no interest in the Spiderman universe, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't even know who Electro is. Haven't seen the first movie and probably won't see the sequel. There seems to be a lot of disgruntled fans among many different franchises due to inaccuracies in film adaptations. I'm not surprised at all that changing a character's race would create upheaval for the die-hards, but for those who aren't even fans of the comics, cartoon, or wherever this character originated from, why even care?

  6. #6
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I can understand why fans would be upset, as with any deviation from the original material, and don't think it should necessarily be attributed to racism. As someone who has no interest in the Spiderman universe, it doesn't bother me at all. I don't even know who Electro is. Haven't seen the first movie and probably won't see the sequel. There seems to be a lot of disgruntled fans among many different franchises due to inaccuracies in film adaptations. I'm not surprised at all that changing a character's race would create upheaval for the die-hards, but for those who aren't even fans of the comics, cartoon, or wherever this character originated from, why even care?
    Except that it totally is racist in a lot of cases. Here's just a couple I could find when I googled for articles about the announcement that he would play the part. This is just stuff that came up on the first 2 sites I clicked on- I didn't have to strain at gnats to find these.

    Jamie fox can eat a bag of food stamps.

    Black James bond. Gay James bond. Yes this shit has actually been blurted out by humans. I figure black people would prefer an alternate universe where everyone is black. White people never think about this shit. We're busy making money for black people

    "You-a don-a wanna see-a me a-when-I'm-a ANGLEE!!!" - The Inclediber Hurk

    Maybe Electro can kill Gwen Stacy by raping her with a super-electrified dildo. That would be racially appropriate.

    At least Dr. Blackhattan isn’t naked. I suspect his blue torpedo would be somewhat larger.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Clicked on this thread thinking "The one with Alfred Molina? What about it?"

    Carry on.

  8. #8
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Except that it totally is racist in a lot of cases. Here's just a couple I could find when I googled for articles about the announcement that he would play the part. This is just stuff that came up on the first 2 sites I clicked on- I didn't have to strain at gnats to find these.

    Jamie fox can eat a bag of food stamps.

    Black James bond. Gay James bond. Yes this shit has actually been blurted out by humans. I figure black people would prefer an alternate universe where everyone is black. White people never think about this shit. We're busy making money for black people

    "You-a don-a wanna see-a me a-when-I'm-a ANGLEE!!!" - The Inclediber Hurk

    Maybe Electro can kill Gwen Stacy by raping her with a super-electrified dildo. That would be racially appropriate.

    At least Dr. Blackhattan isn’t naked. I suspect his blue torpedo would be somewhat larger.
    Were these quotes from the article or comments posted under it? You will find racist comments directed at all races on nearly every YouTube video. Somehow, everything culminates in racial slurs. These aren't even necessarily fans of Spiderman who are upset about inconsistencies, just random people making racist comments. That's not news to anyone. Not to cast stones, but the author of the OP started a rather racist thread in this forum once. Paula Dean confessed to saying the "N" word years ago. What does it all mean? That racism exists? Of course it does. And most people have been guilty of it at some point, if they are being honest with themselves.

  9. #9
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Yeah, I was going to mention that. That was even more stupid because she is actually described in the books as having dark skin.

    That was perfect example of 'head canon' vs. actual canon.
    Yeah, that bit made it utterly stupid and disgusting, vs just disgusting.

    I don't know what's wrong with people sometimes. They obsess about the dumbest, meaningless details.

    I mean, heck, they're getting to see a film regarding a book they liked. If they want to complain, there are probably a lot more important things to complain about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I can understand why fans would be upset, as with any deviation from the original material, and don't think it should necessarily be attributed to racism.
    Yes, there are other reasons besides racism (including anal-retentiveness), but it's kind of hard to avoid that charge when the race of the character doesn't matter in context of the story, and yet someone makes a huge pointless debacle out of it.

    It's not like Spiderman is a collection of ethnic movies, where background matters much with secondary characters.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #10
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, that bit made it utterly stupid and disgusting, vs just disgusting.

    I don't know what's wrong with people sometimes. They obsess about the dumbest, meaningless details.

    I mean, heck, they're getting to see a film regarding a book they liked. If they want to complain, there are probably a lot more important things to complain about.



    Yes, there are other reasons besides racism (including anal-retentiveness), but it's kind of hard to avoid that charge when the race of the character doesn't matter in context of the story, and yet someone makes a huge pointless debacle out of it.

    It's not like Spiderman is a collection of ethnic movies, where background matters much with secondary characters.
    You could say that about most characters in every story. What does Peter Parker's race even have to do with the context of the story? I'm not saying that some people aren't upset about it because of the racial factor, as opposed to simply being an inconsistency, but it's hard to tell when that inconsistency is race. As Southern Cross mentioned above, apparently fans were making a big deal about the new Superman not having a hair swirl or wearing his underwear on the outside of his uniform. What does that have to do with the context of the story? It's just not getting as much attention because it's not a matter of race.

Similar Threads

  1. Avoiding people in public places
    By chatoyer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 01-22-2016, 03:01 PM
  2. The Real Threat To Black People In America
    By Xann in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-21-2016, 12:26 PM
  3. People in Crowds Pick Leaders...just like Sheep.
    By heart in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO