12. You may not vote on this poll
  • e reader

5 41.67%
  • book

7 58.33%
  • neither i'm a neatherthal that doesn't read

0 0%
First 1234 Last

I also think that sense of permanence that I feel a book has and an e-book does not is important on a greater scale. Great stories become great because they're passed around, passed down to succeeding generations, read over and over and over again. It's not very easy to lend someone your electronic copy of the latest book you bought.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't have an ereader. I read ebooks on my laptop and phone. I think right now I like reading books on my laptop best because I haven't gotten used to my bifocals and it's easier to read when I can make the print as big as I want to. I also like being able to buy and receive a book in the wee hours if I decide I want one. But I love the feel and smell of paper books and I like buying stuff at the book store. I mostly 'read' audiobooks right now, though. I like being able to multitask.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I actually hate how paper in novels feel against my fingers especially paper backs, it feels gross i also don't like wind breakers for that same reason, especially when they end up in my mouth (which is rare btw)
    Really? I'm the opposite. That's actually one of the reasons why I like physical books better. That feeling of turning each individual page in your hand is just awesome.

I don't have an eReader, but I hate the screens on many of them. Why would I want to read off of a computer screen? It's not comfortable for long periods. The e-ink (or w/e it's called) models are much better, but that flash it makes whenever you flip the page greatly irritates me for some reason.

I actually just bought some physical books from Amazon even though they are freely, legally available as ebooks.

But honestly I don't read very much to begin with. :/

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I prefer books.. I don't like depending too too much on expensive fancypants technology, I guess.

I like the feel of a book in my hands, I can;t explain why right now, but I'll reflect on it & add more here, later, perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Really? I'm the opposite. That's actually one of the reasons why I like physical books better. That feeling of turning each individual page in your hand is just awesome.

I don't have an eReader, but I hate the screens on many of them. Why would I want to read off of a computer screen? It's not comfortable for long periods. The e-ink (or w/e it's called) models are much better, but that flash it makes whenever you flip the page greatly irritates me for some reason.

I actually just bought some physical books from Amazon even though they are freely, legally available as ebooks.
    yeah i have an e--ink one and mine doesn't flash.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

your resident asshole

yeah i have an e--ink one and mine doesn't flash.
    Really? I thought that was just how the technology worked. What e-reader do you have?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Really? I thought that was just how the technology worked. What e-reader do you have?
    kindle classic probably 2nd gen
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Even though I like physical books a lot and miss some aspects (good typography, ease of jumping around, etc), I definitely do the vast majority of my reading on my e-ink Kindle. The e-ink is very easy on the eyes even for extended reading (unlike backlight iPhone, iPad, etc), the books are often (but not always) cheaper, and being able to carry multiple books with me is a boon when traveling. It's also nice to not have to devote shelf space to books I want to read again. Still, there are downsides (general loanability, ability to browse entire collection, etc), so I understand eBooks are not for everyone.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Even though I like physical books a lot and miss some aspects (good typography, ease of jumping around, etc), I definitely do the vast majority of my reading on my e-ink Kindle. The e-ink is very easy on the eyes even for extended reading (unlike backlight iPhone, iPad, etc), the books are often (but not always) cheaper, and being able to carry multiple books with me is a boon when traveling. It's also nice to not have to devote shelf space to books I want to read again. Still, there are downsides (general loanability, ability to browse entire collection, etc), so I understand eBooks are not for everyone.
    I agree with this, I'm not hating on books I like them, I just for my life style which at this point in my life is transient ie i don't live anywhere longer than a year or 2 my kindle is better for that. plus i like pushing the page turn button.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

your resident asshole

kindle classic probably 2nd gen
    Ok so I just did some research (aka YouTubing) on the matter and found that all of the Kindles do the weird flash/refresh I find irritating. You probably just don't notice it anymore, as most people easily ignore it.

Here is a sample video someone made first with flashing and second with very minimal flashing (they ran some custom code or something)

WALMART

I love books. Once I found a postcard from a woman to a Navy man tucked away inside my used copy of The Perfect Storm, wishing he would like the novel.

And once I found this cool holographic book mark with images of Earth imprinted upon it. Those little odds and ends about the histories of the books I find really add character to my collection...

Unlike that soulless digital format.