MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Jeremy Jahns (ENTP) World War Z movie review

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

I watch his reviews. He's pretty cool. I also had a feeling he would be some sort of ExTP.

I'm seeing WWZ on Saturday; not expecting anything mind-blowing, but it should be good, so I'll probably end up thinking similarly to Jeremy Jahns.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by mos98 View Post
    I watch his reviews. He's pretty cool. I also had a feeling he would be some sort of ExTP.

I'm seeing WWZ on Saturday; not expecting anything mind-blowing, but it should be good, so I'll probably end up thinking similarly to Jeremy Jahns.
    I'm going to see it tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I'm going to see it tomorrow night.
    Hope you enjoy it

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I just got back from watching this movie.

@2:43, Jeremy Jaws complains that the movie would have been the same without Brad Pitt's ("Gerry's") family. That's true, but it's a weak point. Without a family values theme, there would be no apocalypse movie to complain about.

Does anybody here remember a black-and-white movie called "Panic in the Year Zero" (1962; Ray Milland, Jean Hagen, Frankie Avalon)? It's about a civilized father, who probably never used a weapon in his life, forced to violently defend his family in post-nuclear war America.

THEY ALL INVOLVE THIS FAMILY VALUES THEME.

Jeremy Jaws's real complaint would better concern the vacuousness of this movie. The father in "Panic" was forced to choose between civilized behavior and savagery in order to defend his family. The father in "Panic" was great in showing the contrast between civilization and savagery. The star of "WWZ" had no difficult values choice to make. And he was already a warrior type, not a weakling father forced by circumstances into an opposite role. There is no interesting contrast to make. There is no values statement in this movie.

The REAL glitch in the movie involved the decision to send "Gerry" to South Korea in order to determine how the zombie plague started, thus figure out how to defeat it. That's like sending someone to Africa to figure out how to defeat HIV.

I did enjoy both the book (which I read a year ago) and the movie. The movie had some interesting takes on the zombie apocalypse theme totally missed by its author Max Brooks. One of those involves a question I asked after I read the book: why do all zombies have teeth? Not everybody in reality has teeth. Apparently, the North Koreans (in the movie) were reading my mind and figured out their own novel way to defeat the zombies.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Oh, and wouldn't it be funny if

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Why was David Morse even in the movie? Why was the ending so anticlimactic? Why was the movie so hyped? And lastly, why was the movie made?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

is this worth seeing on the big screen?

Quote Originally Posted by mos98 View Post
    possibly. But I've seen him before, and he always seems like he's trying too hard, as opposed to some of the other outspoken youtube bloggers I've observed who just seem natural rather than doing a schtick. I feel like I'm listening to one of those fast-talking hucksters running a public auction. Lots of flash-bang and banter, but nothing really different than elsewhere.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 06-22-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Why was David Morse even in the movie? Why was the ending so anticlimactic? Why was the movie so hyped? And lastly, why was the movie made?
    David Morse plays a cia agent who knows someone who knows something about the zombie plague. His role is pivotal in informing "Gerry" where to travel next.

The ending wasn't anticlimactic, it was predictable. I got no sense of build-up and so the climax of the movie was more of a fizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    is this worth seeing on the big screen?

possibly. But I've seen him before, and he always seems like he's trying too hard, as opposed to some of the other outspoken youtube bloggers I've observed who just seem natural rather than doing a schtick. I feel like I'm listening to one of those fast-talking hucksters running a public auction. Lots of flash-bang and banter, but nothing really different than elsewhere.
    If you're willing to spend your money. It's a popcorn movie. I still enjoyed it, though: had a good balance of funny, zombie, and Brad Pitt. Like I said, I wasn't expecting anything intellectual, I was just expecting mindless fun; I got what I asked for, really.

Also, agreed that he sometimes appears to be trying too hard. He's probably just super energetic, and prone to going over the top.