• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Penn-Teller Helium Bag Trick

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do they do this?

I noticed that at the end of the trick the helium bag was slightly deflated. But maybe the absence of a person in the bag caused it to appear deflated a little.

Also, I don't think Teller said anything even though he supposedly made a squeaky sound inside the helium-filled bag.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I just watched that whole video for no reason, where is the f'in trick?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I mean he was behind the bag the whole time right? And audience dude was in on it... Isn't this obvious?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Like, why did they use helium? To try to prove he was in the bag because his voice was high pitched? I guess it is just a diversion tactic. If it were air, there would be less to prove he is in the bag.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean he was behind the bag the whole time right? And audience dude was in on it... Isn't this obvious?

I think "Steve" was an audience plant. But it certainly appeared that Teller was in the bag, at first. When you say he was behind the bag, it doesn't explain what role "Steve" played with all the finagling with the bag ties (hold it higher, don't tear the bag with your watch, seem like efforts to distract the audience).

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I think "Steve" was an audience plant. But it certainly appeared that Teller was in the bag, at first. When you say he was behind the bag, it doesn't explain what role "Steve" played with all the finagling with the bag ties (hold it higher, don't tear the bag with your watch, seem like efforts to distract the audience).

It's also entirely possible that there were 2 compartments in the bag, and Teller got in the back one.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The helium allows for the neat flourish at the end of the bag rising. It also shows that there are no holes in the bag which he could just crawl out of it.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are children who have closed your eyes and ears, convinced you stand in a magicians theatre when in reality you persist in a vast and ancient forest.