First 45678 Last

Thread: Man of Steel

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think Superman probably is more relatable in terms of life experience; all of us have felt like outsiders, all of us have tried to be normal and have to balance that with standing out to behave in extraordinary ways. Superman also is from the middle class at best, his life growing up is very "American." (He even says that in the movie ("General, I grew up in Kansas. How much more American can I be?")

Few of us have had our parents murdered, and few of us are upper-class billionaires. Batman is "cooler' on some ways, but not necessarily more relatable.

Superman's always had a lighter touch in American cinema and isn't touched by darkness, at least in the TV/movie media. And this was also Reeve's iconic role, and he is somewhat of a legend due to his struggles from being paralyzed and from his expressed character. I have trouble believing those things aren't playing into some of the critical response. Note how much higher the userbase response is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

It was a completely unnecessary picture.
    No new territory had been explored.
    It has all been done before--and better.

The original and remake share the same subtextual DNA.

Man torn between two worlds, searching for a place in this life, etc.

This was SUPERMAN: ZEITGEIST, complete with predictable Nolan "grittiness", Michael Bay-style 'splosions, yawn-inducing exposition and cartoonish CGI, tied with a pretty pink bow to set up another cash cow franchise.

Superman deserves better than this. ALOT better.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's funny to watch how your opinions shift from post to post.

To be honest, I have a really difficult time imagining what a "good" Superman movie would look like. i don't think anyone here could come up with one that would meet the ideal, if they actually had to write it. It's much easier to criticize the ones that don't fit that ambiguous ideal.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    2. I happen to like smackfests between two invulnerable characters. If you do not, or you find them boring, then you will dislike parts of this movie. I think the fight scenes were pretty kick-ass in terms of the "knockbacks" and prop smashing. The very last fight in the movie seems extra and like it could have been skipped (it seemed a little too much when it started), except it sets up a very big decision for Superman in terms of characterization.
    That could be a problem for me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's funny to watch how your opinions shift from post to post.
    I'm bipolar, probs.

To be honest, I have a really difficult time imagining what a "good" Superman movie would look like. i don't think anyone here could come up with one that would meet the ideal, if they actually had to write it. It's much easier to criticize the ones that don't fit that ambiguous ideal.
    There isn't an "ideal" Superman...that wasn't my point.

I expected a Batman Begins-level of "quality" at least.
    The movie was soulless and played on shallow emotions.
    And there wasn't anything new (except Super 'splosions).

And if you gave me a $225 million budget, I'd do better than this effort.

MUCH better.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    And if you gave me a $225 million budget, I'd do better than this effort.

MUCH better.
    I think that's a bit exaggerated, if only that you have no idea how to put a movie production together. (I don't either.) And of course, I asked for specifics of what you would do, and all you have provided is yet another, "It just sucked, I could do so much better" comment. Yeah. Whatever.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just haven't yet seen any actual constructive ideas of what could be done, and I'm more curious to hear what people would actually DO in a specific sense. Show me the money, you know? Not just talk about the money. A lot of us sound like the fat beer guzzlers on the Lazy Boy hurling insults at the Monday night football game about what a professional athlete with much more experience and training should have done.... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    That could be a problem for me.
    Oh, magic!

We need to get your violent impulses flowing.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I am typing from a phone right now. If you cant understand that, then yer beyon the point of reason.

All I will say about Duck's version of Superman is this:

1. Gorilla Grodd is the bad guy, I bet

And

2. Superman rips a guys head off for no reason.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Make sure your friend wears the cape.
    Balls to that, he's wearing the underpants on the outside.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Balls to that, he's wearing the underpants on the outside.
    Qualiman? I hope the Beets contribute a song to the closing credits. I'm guessing it will be "Killer Tofu", since they don't appear to have any other songs.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Qualiman? I hope the Beets contribute a song to the closing credits. I'm guessing it will be "Killer Tofu", since they don't appear to have any other songs.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.