User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Man of Steel

A guy I work with saw Man of Steel and came away extremely disappointed. He thought it was going to be really good, too, so he was taken aback at how much he disliked it. That kind of bummed me out, because the trailers are good.

As for the reboot cycle, it has become appallingly fast. But I don't believe Hollywood has run out of ideas. They simply discard those ideas in favor of known quantities. A superhero movie, a sequel, or something adapted from another medium is a good bet, while an original movie is seen as a liability, not a potential hit. When it all goes bad, Studio Guy A can say "Well, we had so and so A list actor, and the movie was based on a property with a quantifiable audience. It's not my fault." In the last ten years, more than ever, choice of projects to make is based on a calculated risk. That's why you get $250 million superhero movies, kids' animated movies, cheap comedies, indie dramas and horror flicks, and that's it. There isn't a place anymore for the mid-budget movie unless it's got a clear Oscar pedigree.

As always, people need to support the kind of movie they want to see. If people keep going to see Marvel movies and the latest Michael Bay atrocity in staggering numbers, that's what they're going to get more of.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    A guy I work with saw Man of Steel and came away extremely disappointed. He thought it was going to be really good, too, so he was taken aback at how much he disliked it. That kind of bummed me out, because the trailers are good.
    The trailers for Sucker Punch were good, too...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

As for the reboot cycle, it has become appallingly fast. But I don't believe Hollywood has run out of ideas. They simply discard those ideas in favor of known quantities. A superhero movie, a sequel, or something adapted from another medium is a good bet, while an original movie is seen as a liability, not a potential hit. When it all goes bad, Studio Guy A can say "Well, we had so and so A list actor, and the movie was based on a property with a quantifiable audience. It's not my fault." In the last ten years, more than ever, choice of projects to make is based on a calculated risk. That's why you get $250 million superhero movies, kids' animated movies, cheap comedies, indie dramas and horror flicks, and that's it. There isn't a place anymore for the mid-budget movie unless it's got a clear Oscar pedigree.

As always, people need to support the kind of movie they want to see. If people keep going to see Marvel movies and the latest Michael Bay atrocity in staggering numbers, that's what they're going to get more of.
    Unfortunately, people are not totally autonomous in this matter. There's a giant media apparatus that shoves people toward Marvel and Michael Bay. The fact that people flock to something doesn't mean it's what they would like best, it just means it's what they know of that they might like.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    That movie is a cult classic, imo. Tim Curry's performance was epic. Though it's a smaller cult than that of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    Yes, cult but smaller than RHPS. Animal House is larger than cult status IMO.

I own a copy of Clue. It's got some of my favorite actors in it, sometimes understated.

I wouldn't want to see a re-make that is exactly like the original. Perhaps, less humor and more drama. I don't know. I've always liked the board game, which was inspired by murder mystery dinners in the 40's. There's room for originality, I think.
    It would have to be reworked and approached differently, yes, rather than a mere remake of the original.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Unfortunately, people are not totally autonomous in this matter. There's a giant media apparatus that shoves people toward Marvel and Michael Bay. The fact that people flock to something doesn't mean it's what they would like best, it just means it's what they know of that they might like.
    That's of course true, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. They shove people toward those things because they're proven moneymakers. Nobody releases a Marvel movie as a financially risky artistic statement. On top of that, you'd think if people really didn't want those movies they wouldn't go. With multiplexes, people have more choices than they ever have even with the consolidation of production I talked about above. It's not like it used to be where the movie theater in town showed one or two movies and if you didn't like that movie, you didn't go at all. If people need to have their hand held to see a movie without a guy in a cape, I really don't have any sympathy.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

F@&^.

As for the reboot cycle, it has become appallingly fast. But I don't believe Hollywood has run out of ideas. They simply discard those ideas in favor of known quantities.
    Ding. They don't like to take risks, and a disaster like After Earth doesn't help. Someone's head was rolling after Jack the Giant Killer Slayer too, I think.

A superhero movie, a sequel, or something adapted from another medium is a good bet, while an original movie is seen as a liability, not a potential hit.
    Yeah, it's an unknown. They have no way to mitigate risk. As you said, the best bets are to spend a lot of money on known quantities that are likely to reap a lot of reward, or spend almost nothing on a movie that might have a chance to go large. The middle ground is riskiest.

They're also willing at times to take money from a big hit to fund a small project that has the potential for awards. Again, a little buck for the biggest bang and press possible.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 06-10-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: fixed movie name. JtGK was REALLY bad.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

That's of course true, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. They shove people toward those things because they're proven moneymakers. Nobody releases a Marvel movie as a financially risky artistic statement. On top of that, you'd think if people really didn't want those movies they wouldn't go. With multiplexes, people have more choices than they ever have even with the consolidation of production I talked about above. It's not like it used to be where the movie theater in town showed one or two movies and if you didn't like that movie, you didn't go at all. If people need to have their hand held to see a movie without a guy in a cape, I really don't have any sympathy.
    I'm afraid I think public is terribly impressionable, and also incredibly lazy about looking for anything that isn't immediately thrust into their faces. It's as true of movies as it is of music and pretty much every other artistic endeavor. The fact that such films make money means that people want to see them in a sense, but they effectively don't know what else to see. It kind of goes with J.K. Galbrath's notion that the more commercial any enterprise becomes, and the more technology advances, the more returns will be gotten out of marketing than out of actually supplying a quality product/service. It's surprisingly effective.

Hell, it can even be analogized to modern politics. People vote for what they are told to vote for, basically. And I chuckle every time I hear someone talk about "hidden information" that's actually totally public record. Again, it's because people are lazy about looking for things not thrust in their faces.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

There's a big bubble that's about to pop in a bad way, hopefully Man of Steel is recieved well and not the final straw for movie viewers. Also, read Red Son and All Star Superman, John Byrnes Man of Steel, or Superman for All Seasons by (gag) Jeph Loeb. Before he went crazy.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

The original is one of my favorite movies and the pinnacle of superhero cinema AFAIC. Either way, I'm there. I love Superman. And besides: what else am I gonna do this Friday? Play The Last of Us?

(Gorilla Grodd for the sequel, ftw)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No reviews up on RT yet, although all the other Friday releases are up. Here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Demi-Fiend View Post
    There's a big bubble that's about to pop in a bad way, hopefully Man of Steel is recieved well and not the final straw for movie viewers. Also, read Red Son and All Star Superman, John Byrnes Man of Steel, or Superman for All Seasons by (gag) Jeph Loeb. Before he went crazy.
    John Byrne was pretty much a win regardless of what he worked on.

Of course, he also has a nasty penchant of trashing his book before leaving for another one. The #1-24 run of "Alpha Flight" is a primary example. But dayum, at least it was always interesting, and he liked to spin stuff on its head!