Thread: Man of Steel

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I'm very conflicted on this film: I haven't it yet, despite how much I've been dying to see it. Yet I think what's really stopped me from wanting to see it is all the negative reviews I've read about it, despite how amazing I thought the trailer was/is (the Jor-El monologue and the Kevin Costner scenes with young Clark).

I think what's really stopping me is knowing that my extremely high hopes and expectations are simply not going to be met, which just sucks considering this effort is probably the closest we'll ever get to getting a decent and moderately grounded, non-campy Superman film (Sorry, Donner). It just sucks to see the pinnacle of comic book superheroes continually get such a shitty run with new generation audiences that cling to more gritty, darker anti-hero types. I especially don't like how they've changes the character's personality in The New 52 to match these types, which completely butchers the character. There's so much inner conflict in Superman (being the only surviving member of a dead planet, having seemingly infinite power, yet being confined to constantly limiting himself to maintain total control to preserve such fragile surroundings, the life of forced isolation), that you don't need to turn him into just another emo douche written with '90s quality Bart Simpson witty dialogue -- The best part of his character is the complete contrast in personality when interacting with those types.

Also, apparently there's too much action, which is a criticism I've never heard of in superhero flicks (usually the complaint is the exact opposite)
    Jor-el is the only reason to see this movie, but only because he did a lot more than give a speech or two.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm very conflicted on this film: I haven't it yet, despite how much I've been dying to see it. Yet I think what's really stopped me from wanting to see it is all the negative reviews I've read about it, despite how amazing I thought the trailer was/is (the Jor-El monologue and the Kevin Costner scenes with young Clark).

I think what's really stopping me is knowing that my extremely high hopes and expectations are simply not going to be met, which just sucks considering this effort is probably the closest we'll ever get to getting a decent and moderately grounded, non-campy Superman film (Sorry, Donner). It just sucks to see the pinnacle of comic book superheroes continually get such a shitty run with new generation audiences that cling to more gritty, darker anti-hero types. I especially don't like how they've changes the character's personality in The New 52 to match these types, which completely butchers the character. There's so much inner conflict in Superman (being the only surviving member of a dead planet, having seemingly infinite power, yet being confined to constantly limiting himself to maintain total control to preserve such fragile surroundings, the life of forced isolation), that you don't need to turn him into just another emo douche written with '90s quality Bart Simpson witty dialogue -- The best part of his character is the complete contrast in personality when interacting with those types.

Also, apparently there's too much action, which is a criticism I've never heard of in superhero flicks (usually the complaint is the exact opposite)
    Don't let the reviews hold you up. This is one of those movies that you might like or might not, but based on the variety of response I've seen, you'll have trouble gauging off other's reactions. (For me, it wasn't a "classic," but I'd watch it again. I just haven't had the money. My INTP kid, who is 18 and does read comics and is fairly acquainted with the source material including even having read the few classic Alan Moore Superman tales, really liked it and loved the fight scenes.)

I felt like this version of Superman was fair without being either a cynical douchebag smartass or a blowing-sunshine-out-my-ass milquetoast. it just could have used more grounding in spots.

If you can find a matinee for it, maybe that would be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Jor-el is the only reason to see this movie, but only because he did a lot more than give a speech or two.
    This highlights exactly why you need to judge the movie for yourself, @Stigmata.

I would have been happy with a lot LESS Jor-El. I felt like at times he attempted to take over the movie, which was never about him, and I was just watching needless Crowe-channeling-Maximus shots in order to make up for the debacle of Les Mis. I was glad when he was gone; I wanted more Pa Kent, if anything, and better lines for Ma Kent, since Diane Lane is such a wonderful actor.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'll probably catch a lot of flack for this, but I actually thought Brandon Routh got the short end of the stick when it came to Superman Returns. To me, he was the perfect(2nd only to Reeves) Superman/Clark Kent, aesthetically speaking. He was heavily criticized because everyone said he was stale and uncharismatic, which is exactly what Clark Kent is, which is why no one ever suspects him to be Superman. It's not his fault the script sucked.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I never saw it. Was that the one Brian Singer directed?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I never saw it. Was that the one Brian Singer directed?
    Yep. It was basically a continuation of the Richard Donner films.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yep. It was basically a continuation of the Richard Donner films.
    Maybe I'll dig it up.

Did you see the "Richard Donner" version of Supes 2? Or the one that was originally released? I got the former on Blu-Ray last year, liked it much at least as far as Richard Donner Supes goes.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Don't let the reviews hold you up. This is one of those movies that you might like or might not, but based on the variety of response I've seen, you'll have trouble gauging off other's reactions. (For me, it wasn't a "classic," but I'd watch it again. I just haven't had the money. My INTP kid, who is 18 and does read comics and is fairly acquainted with the source material including even having read the few classic Alan Moore Superman tales, really liked it and loved the fight scenes.)

I felt like this version of Superman was fair without being either a cynical douchebag smartass or a blowing-sunshine-out-my-ass milquetoast. it just could have used more grounding in spots.

If you can find a matinee for it, maybe that would be your best bet.

This highlights exactly why you need to judge the movie for yourself, @Stigmata.

I would have been happy with a lot LESS Jor-El. I felt like at times he attempted to take over the movie, which was never about him, and I was just watching needless Crowe-channeling-Maximus shots in order to make up for the debacle of Les Mis. I was glad when he was gone; I wanted more Pa Kent, if anything, and better lines for Ma Kent, since Diane Lane is such a wonderful actor.
    That's exactly why you should judge the movie for yourself, @Stigmata. Ma and Pa Kent have never had a major role in the Superman origin movies, and they never should. These aren't dramatic roles, they are boring farmer and farm-wife roles. In the original origin tale, they didn't even keep the baby but gave him over to an orphanage.

I didn't want to give away any Jor-el spoilers in my previous comment. But Jor-el was really the only character worth watching.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That's exactly why you should judge the movie for yourself, @Stigmata. Ma and Pa Kent have never had a major role in the Superman origin movies, and they never should. These aren't dramatic roles, they are boring farmer and farm-wife roles. In the original origin tale, they didn't even keep the baby but gave him over to an orphanage.
    Have you really ever read the comics?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Have you really ever read the comics?
    I've read hundreds of Action Comics.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've read hundreds of Action Comics.
    I found the amount of attention given to them depends on the writer and the series. There are a few Superman series that have been around for awhile, Action is just one.

At least you've likely had the pleasure of being introduced to Krypto, Superdog.